ARRAY(0xa8094f84)

Profile for Frank > Reviews

Content by Frank
Top Reviewer Ranking: 688

Frank "Photofox" (Cheshire, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Breathe Right Nasal Strips Large Size 30 Strips
Breathe Right Nasal Strips Large Size 30 Strips
Offered by Activecare Online
Price: 11.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Help, 27 Aug 2012
For years I had trouble with a blocked nose at night which disturbed my sleep.
With one of these on, my nose remains clear and I sleep very well.
Note: they are NOT a cure for snoring!!

Canon EF 35mm f/2 Wide Angle AF Lens
Canon EF 35mm f/2 Wide Angle AF Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Lens, 22 Aug 2012
On opening the parcel, I thought that the lens looked a little small and cheap. But, small it maybe but it does a first class job.
It seems strange using a prime lens again after all the cheap zooms that come with DSLR kits. I don't notice the focussing noise that others have reported, nor any trace of aberration (so far.)
It's lovely to have a wide range of f stops to play with, especially good for portraits. Also, it keeps a lot in view when photographing groups.
I'm very pleased with it and recommend it.
Because the front element protrudes, you do need either a neutral filter or lens hood.
I bought a JJC hood from Amazon; cheaper than Canon own brand and extremely good (see my review on it)

JJC replacement Canon EW-65II Lens Hood for CANON EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 35mm f/2
JJC replacement Canon EW-65II Lens Hood for CANON EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 35mm f/2
Offered by Imaging Devices
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid item, 22 Aug 2012
I usually buy only Canon branded items for my digital SLR but this lens hood was so much cheaper that I bought it.
It fits the lens very well; Two "buttons" either side need to be depressed, then it slips over the lens a treat.
Nothing more to say really. If you're looking for a decent, cheap lens hood for a 28 or 35mm Canon lens, do try this one.

Buckingham Palace Blues (An Inspector Carlyle Novel)
Buckingham Palace Blues (An Inspector Carlyle Novel)
Price: 0.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good read., 19 Aug 2012
As I say, this book is quite good. The characters are a bit stereotyped but the plot is good and moves along quickly.
The only grouse I have is that the main character (Insp. Carlyle) runs down just about every organisation you can think of.ie:
Social Services
Police Community Officers
The Railways
Police in general (and the Swiss police)
Independent Complaints Authority
Heathrow Security
But the biggest moan is about the Royal Family which irked me a bit.
I'm not sure if the scathing criticisms are the author's views or just those of Carlyle.

Bulova Men's Canvas Strap 96A102 Green Cloth Quartz Watch with Black Dial Canvas
Offered by Kay's Watch Shop
Price: 87.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Retro Style, 9 Aug 2012
I guess most people buy a watch based on: Style, Make and Price.
Usually, I prefer watches that make a statement; you know, with all the dials, alarms and bezels which we never use!
I immediately liked this when I saw it on Amazon so treated myself. On opening the box, I wasn't too sure but tried it on anyway. Within an hour I was hooked.
It has a lovely, clear Military retro style complete with khaki/green strap and looks great on my wrist.
I don't know much about Bulova watches so am checking the time against a radio controlled watch and it's near perfect so far.

It's difficult to say "go buy this" as, of course, individual tastes vary. But I like it's simplicity and bold look.

Points You Should Know:
1 It is a little larger than it seems from the illustration but is not overly heavy.
2 The strap is a bit on the long side but can easily be changed, of course.
3 Only the hands are luminous. The numerals are not, although they look it from illustration.
4 It's not water resistant to 30M as the description says. It's only mildly water resistant so take care.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

It's now 29 September and I can report that the watch has gained about 11 seconds (against my radio controlled watch)since I first set it in August. So I'm very satisfied.

Graven Image: a Novella
Graven Image: a Novella
Price: 1.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't understand it at all!, 6 Aug 2012
Others have commented on the twist at the end but, sorry, I just didn't understand it.
Plenty of action initially but then it gets weird and complex (too complex for me)

Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths - foil pouch
Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths - foil pouch
Offered by WatchObsession
Price: 4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 3 Aug 2012
I used this to clean a couple of watches and it did a fairly good job. I didn't get the sparkling results that I'd expected (after reading other reviews) but quite a bit of muck came off on to the cloth, so it must have done some good.
Will keep trying on other metals.

Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black
Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, so far., 3 Aug 2012
I bought this from Amazon just after it was introduced; there was no detailed product description nor any reviews so it was a bit of a leap of faith.
I've only used iPods before so was unfamiliar with the Sony Walkman.
Of course, being a man, I neglected to read the on line manual and dived straight into it...bit of a mistake, but I managed to transfer songs OK. However, I'm a bit stuck now re Playlists and such, so will have to open the Help manual. (I hate those on-line Helps because, if you can't open two screens, you have to flip backwards and forwards)
I have a number of tracks on Windows Music which will not download for some reason.

One thing I was worried about were the many comments about other Walkman's which complained that the volume did not go high enough. Well, I'm quite aged and my hearing is not what it was but with the volume slightly over half way it is easily loud enough for me.
I'll probably not use the photos or podcast features but, no doubt, others will find them useful.
I'm happy with the quality of this product and with the various features (which I'm still exploring)

Forgot to mention that the headphones supplied are also excellent.

UPDATE: Can anyone tell me how/is it possible, to shuffle songs in a playlist? I've created several playlists but don't want it played to me in Artists order. I want to have them play randomly. Thanks.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2012 11:27 AM GMT

Canon LP-E6 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery (100% COMPATIBLE) from Dot.Foto - with Dot.Foto InfoChip - 7.4v / 1600mAh - 2 Year Warranty [See Description for Compatibility]

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems OK so far., 31 July 2012
Battery arrived on time and fits into my Battery Grip perfectly. I haven't used the camera much since then but all indications are that it will perform well. As other reviewers have mentioned, I'm not expecting the life to be quite as good as Canon's own; but the price will be worth it.

Time Tutelary Automatic Watch Winder KA079
Time Tutelary Automatic Watch Winder KA079
Offered by CKB LTD
Price: 38.20

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good, 29 July 2012
I've only had this for a few days but it is working well.
My Rolex keeps perfect time on it and it seems to keep to the 1 hour on, 3 hours off programme.

I was surprised how quiet it is; barely a sound can be heard from it.
The case is plastic, fairly sturdy and OK for the price.
I've no hesitation in recommending this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18