Profile for Gerry J. > Reviews

Content by Gerry J.

Gerry J. (Brighton)

Page: 1 | 2
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300 CPU Cooler, 3 Heatpipes, 120mm PWM Fan, Intel Cooler, AMD Cooler,processor cooling fan
Offered by DEEPCOOL

4.0 out of 5 stars Problems fitting to Mainboard, 23 Aug. 2015
This was bought as a replacement in an emergency for a sealed water cooling unit on an Asus P7P55LX mainboard, but problems arose when trying to fit to the board.. My machine is a custom build from Cyberpower UK, and the water cooling unit was fixed to the board by screwing into threaded brass inserts. The push down plastic pins which come with the Gammaxx 300 would not fit into these brass inserts, and I couldn't remove the inserts, though this may have been possible if I had removed the mainboard ( a step too far for me).

I had to jury rig the mounting brackets by taking the screws from the water cooler, removing the plastic push pins from the Gammaxx, and using plastic washers to fill the gap between the board and the mounting brackets in order to mount the cooler securely. This proved to be a lengthy and frustrating experience, mainly due to the proximity of the collar around the fan obstructing access to the 2 screws beneath it. In all, it took close to 2 hours to secure a fit which held the Gammax to my satisfaction.

The cooler itself, once fitted, is easily as quiet as the water cooling unit, which surprised and pleased me. Operating temperatures are very acceptable, ranging between 40-50C on a quad core i5.

Considering my machine was dead in the water, the couple of hours it took to fit the cooler was worth the effort, and it's unlikely anyone else considering purchasing the Gammaxx 300 will experience the same problems I did

RHA MA750 Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone - 3 year warranty
RHA MA750 Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone - 3 year warranty

2.0 out of 5 stars The problem with earbuds is that you can't try before you buy, 15 Jun. 2015
Back story....I have used Shure SE315's for about the last 5 years. My first pair eventually gave out a couple of months ago (though I did wear out 3 cords over that period, which at £40 a set, didn't work out cheap). I bought a new pair, which I managed to lose on Friday....cue mad scramble to find a replacement in time for going on holiday this Wednesday.

During my search I came across these. I'd read reviews previously, as I keep abreast of new tech, and was impressed by the number of good reports they were getting. Delivery was promised in time for going away, so I jumped in. Probably the single most important aspect of those reviews, for me, was the praise given for comfort and sound isolation, as I wear my buds for most of the day, working in an environment with a constant medium noise level.

I've had the MA750's for 8 hours now, and it's been 8 hours of frustration and annoyance. This is not a review of the sound quality, which, not being an audiophile, seems perfectly acceptable to me....when the sound is reaching me the way I want to hear it. This is all about comfort. When it comes to the reviews concerning this, I have to wonder if those commenting have previously been using modified pine cones.

It may be an unfair comparison, but with the Shures' memory foam tips it was a case of...Insert into ear, give a little twist....and forget for the rest of the day. The MA750 memory foam tips are woeful in comparison...forget the silicone tips, the only ones that would stay in my ear were the double flange ones, and they were so uncomfortable as to be painful...not to mention the nightmare trying to get the damn things onto the buds...I also managed to tear 2 of the single flange ones getting them off, they were so flimsy.

I have spare tips for the Shures' (which unfortunately don't fit) and in comparison, the 750's are not as wide, long or maleable. The differences are miniscule but hugely important. The tips don't feel as if they are going far enough into the ear, but with (a lot of) manipulation, I can eventually get them settled in a position where I can hear/feel the bass at the level I like it. Problem is, every time I move my jaw, even with as little movement as natural swallowing, the bass drops out and I've ended up fiddling with the buds trying to get it back again. Effectively, this has meant spending a lot of time constantly adjusting the buds....and it is extremely annoying.

Sound Isolation/cancellation, again in comparison to the Shures', is very disappointing. A walk through town, even at high volume, had traffic noise all over my music (I listen to nothing but EDM, so that is an accomplishment). A stop for a drink on Brighton beach, away from traffic, and I could hear conversation from people 10 feet away. I haven't used these at work yet, but I'm not holding my breath (couldn't anyway, as the bass would drop out)

As stated previously, this is not about the sound quality. If the tips don't fit properly, the sound quality doesn't matter. What's the point of giving you a choice of 10 different tips if 8 of those are complete non-starters? I don't want quantity, I want quality....and I'm afraid these are just not good enough.

In conclusion, I wish I'd bought another pair of 315s'
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2016 7:58 PM BST

Anker® 3200mAh Li-ion Battery for Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 III, N9000, N9005 LTE, with NFC Compatibility [18-Month Warranty]
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of 'GENUINE' Samsung Batteries, 31 Jan. 2015
Purchased as a backup, this battery performs pretty much the same as the original Samsung battery which came with my phone 9 months ago. I've already had a couple of attempts at getting a backup through Amazon, buying so called 'GENUINE' (they always use caps in their descriptions) batteries from what I can only describe as 'economic with the truth' retailers. My best guess is that these are units which have failed quality control for one reason or another and have been bought as job lots by re-sellers. The ones I've had have been dire and knock my confidence in Amazon as a first choice online retailer.

There's not much you can say about a battery. It has a job to do and either does it or doesn't....Anker's does. The devil is in the detail, as they say. One of the 'GENUINE' Samsung batteries I bought actually arrived in a flimsy piece of cardboard with parcel tape wrapped around it and placed in a thin plastic bag. There was no retail packaging of any description identifying it as 'GENUINE'. Ankers came in a DVD style box, with the battery firmly secured within, and various inserts including advice on care of the battery and warranty. Packaging such as this inspires confidence in the contents.

There have been a couple of follow up emails from Anker, offering refunds if not 100% satisfied. I won't be taking them up on this offer. This is a company which cares about its products and its reputation. I can't see me buying any more backups for my Note 3, but when I eventually upgrade my phone, I know who I'll be going to for a spare battery

Samsung 3200 mAh 3.8 V Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung 3200 mAh 3.8 V Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, 14 Dec. 2014
Not what it claims to be. It may be a genuine Samsung battery, but not one which has passed any quality control. My best quess is that it's one of a job lot of rejects, some of which may actually have some life in them. The one I received however, drains in a few hours with minimal use.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multi function media player, 14 Dec. 2014
Upgraded from the Micro 2 and happy with the result. Everything works as it should, though wireless streaming from the pc can be choppy at times. I had problems accessing content on my pc as I've never had a password on my Homegroup (to my knowledge), and the relevant directories are set to share with everyone. It took a lot of messing to finally connect, and I'm not even sure how I finally managed it. If the relevant home/work group doesn't require a password, then why ask for it? Another frustration is the need to set up the wireless connection again if the unit is disconnected from the mains power supply.

Other than this, I'm pleased with the other functionality, especially the miracast for screen mirroring from tablets or smartphones. This works flawlessly with my Galaxy Note 3 and is a very good solution to getting the www on a non-smart tv

Stylish Protective 100% REAL GENUINE COW LEATHER FLIP CASE POUCH COVER CARD HOLDER WALLET FOR Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III N9000 N9005 + Includes STYLUS PEN + SCREEN PROTECTOR (BLACK)
Offered by Up Gadget

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Versatile Protective, 25 Aug. 2014
Five months old and still in good condition...not perfect, as I've dropped the phone from table and waist height on a couple or 3 occasions, but the marks left by these mishaps are insignificant compared to the lack of damage to the phone, which is still immaculate. No problems at all with the magnetic clasp corrupting the screen, but then I use the wallet features, carrying both cash and cards in it, which ensures a degree of separation from the screen owing to the thickness of the front cover with these inside....plus it gives me a chance to flash the phone when paying for things....Poseur? Moi? ;)

Shure EAC64BK 64 -Inch Detachable Earphone Cable for SE215, SE315, SE425 and SE535 Earphones (Black)
Offered by AUDIOGO

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but significant improvement?, 25 Aug. 2014
This cable is a replacement for a replacement...the one with the in line controls for the iphone, which didn't do much other than pause the music on my Android phone, but at the time the original cable was not available. The iphone cable was a bit of a disaster, with the cable sheath splitting/fraying at both buds and at the jack. The cable itself was much thinner than the original.

This cable is much sturdier and true to the original thickness of the cable that shipped with the buds initially. Shure have upgraded the cable with a stiff but flexible strip at the connection with the buds, which allows you to mould the cable around your ears and retain this shape, reducing the movement of the cable in this area. This was an occasional problem previously as the cable could slip if you moved your head downwards and had a tendency to irritate and inflame the skin behind the ear. The new sheathing makes inserting the buds easier to insert and more comfortable around the ears. Hopefully this will also lengthen the life of the cable, though I've only had it a month so judgement is reserved.

A word of praise for the shipper, EC Crescent, who sent these from the US with free postage, arriving within 5 days of ordering. I believe these are no longer being manufactured by Shure, and would advise grabbing them while they are still available, as the alternatives on offer just ain't up to scratch

Shure SE315-K Sound Isolating Earphone Hi-Definition Micro Speaker with Tuned Bass Port (Black)
Offered by One Way Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 years old now, 5 Oct. 2013
Bought these to replace a pair of 215's which had a serious problem with the fragility of the cable, the plastic sheathing disintegrating in various places. No such problem with these.

I did have to replace the cable about a year ago, after dropping one of the buds into a cup of tea. In my haste to detach the bud for drying, I couldn't detach it from the cable and tugged away with some force before figuring out you had to pinch to detach, but the damage was done...not to the bud which dried out easily, but to the cable which I obviously damaged as the sound would drop out at regular intervals. I would stress that I tugged at it very very hard in my frustration.

I replaced the cable with one which had in-line volume,pause and track controls. However, this cable had been designed for iphone/ipod and only the 'pause' works on my Android phone...still handy, and no reason to return. There has been no problem with the sheathing cracking up.

Ease of fitting and comfort of plugs is top notch. Once they are in, they are in, even when caught on various drawer handles. I'm still using the original foam covers I've had since day one.

Sound quality has not deteriorated in the 2 years I've had them either...still awesome. Some reviews complain about the bass quality, but I've found that a decent music app with a good equalizer (in my case Music Folder Player Pro) negates this and bass can be as deep as you can stand

Given the quality of the sound and the build, I can see these lasting at least another 2 years

Club 3D royalKing Radeon HD 7870 CGAX-7876O AMD Graphics Card / PCI-e / 2 GB / DDR5 / DVI / HDMI / 2x mini DisplayPort / 1 GPU

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money paid, 28 Sept. 2013
I've had this card for 9 months, purchased for a bargain £160 and have no complaints. It's dealt comfortably with high spec DX11 games released in those 9 months, including probably the most demanding of them all, Metro Last Light.

Stock fan does rev up a bit, but with my volume up at the level I like for action games, I rarely notice this. In normal desktop use it is virtually silent, but then my ears are pretty old now and my hearing not as acute as it used to be.

My last card...a HD5950, lasted over 2 years before it began to struggle. I feel confident this will last at least as long

Memwah Micro SD Card Reader - Fast USB 2.0 Adapter for MicroSD cards up to 64Gb
Memwah Micro SD Card Reader - Fast USB 2.0 Adapter for MicroSD cards up to 64Gb
Offered by KING OF FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems, 28 Sept. 2013
I have several MicroSD cards. This usb adapter allows me to update them without having to put them into my phone. There have been no instances of cards not being recognised either by a computer or a media player for viewing content on my tv. Also very handy for swapping content with friends

Page: 1 | 2