Profile for S. Milburn > Reviews

Content by S. Milburn

S. Milburn "sjm1013" (Harrogate, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I Don't)
Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I Don't)
by Barbara Bottner

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book about the love of books., 12 Sept. 2014
I'm not sure whether I love this book most, or my children do. Although it's slightly American - references to pilgrims and groundhogs - my 4 and 6 year olds don't seem to have any problem following it. We all find it hilarious and love Miss Brooks the Librarian and Missy the reluctant reader.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to live by, 18 Aug. 2012
I loved this book - it has really inspired me to try to enjoy life more. Like the author, I have it all - nice house, great family and friends, etc. but I am stressed a lot of the time and not appreciating what I have enough. Unfortunately, chapter 1 on decluttering is taking rather more than a month to do, but I will get onto the other chapters eventually!

Me and Mr. Darcy
Me and Mr. Darcy
by Alexandra Potter

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
Like the other one and two star reviewers I almost didn't bother finishing this book. I spent most of it wondering whether the author thought that The Times was called the Daily Times, or had created a fictional newspaper of that name, and whether I had missed something and Top Shop was really some mecca for fashionistas, rather than the place I bought stuff as a teenager. Had the story been particularly interesting I probably wouldn't have found these things irritating.

Sizzling Sixteen
Sizzling Sixteen
by Janet Evanovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the early ones, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Sizzling Sixteen (Hardcover)
Found the first few Stephanie Plum novels hilarious - laugh out loud funny - but the series has just gone on too long, in my opinion. I asked Janet Evanovich, at a book reading, how long she would keep writing about Stephanie and she replied "As long as they are paying me to" - so it could be a while. Will probably buy the next one, nevertheless - but won't be anticipating it with as much as excitement as I used to.

Hurting Distance: Culver Valley Crime Book 2
Hurting Distance: Culver Valley Crime Book 2
by Sophie Hannah

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable read, 20 Mar. 2011
I found this a very uncomfortable read. I thought it was reasonably well written, but, for some reason, felt very disturbed by the scenario portrayed. Not one that I'll be re-reading.

Bill's New Frock
Bill's New Frock
by Anne Fine

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for children - and teachers, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Bill's New Frock (Paperback)
Anne Fine has a great gift for addressing many of the issues that concern children. I love her books and find it strange that she does not seem to be as popular as Jacqueline Wilson. Bill's New Frock is a great exploration of the sexism that children often meet at school - Bill wakes up to find that everyone thinks he is a girl and, as the day progresses, he realises that he is being treated slightly differently from usual - for exactly the same behaviour.

New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker
New Recipes for Your Slo-cooker
by Annette Yates

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, 20 Mar. 2011
As a complete slo-cooker beginner, I have found this book invaluable. Several recipes have found their way into my regular meal planning - especially the Moroccan chicken and the Beef in brown ale.

Can Any Mother Help Me?
Can Any Mother Help Me?
by Jenna Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Mumsnet - 1930s style, 20 Mar. 2011
As others have mentioned, this book shows how much things have changed for mothers, but more surprisingly, how little. We are spoiled now, with the internet providing us with almost instant support and advice though various communities, but these quite isolated women built up an amazing support network through their correspondence - and probably far more long-lasting friendships.

Peepo!
Peepo!
by Janet Ahlberg
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great book, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Peepo! (Board book)
I love this book. I do tend to change a few of the words (mummy and daddy instead of mother and father, for example) but the children really enjoy it. There is plenty to look at and talk about on each page, so you can pitch it at the age of the child you are reading to.

Fix-It Duck (Duck in the Truck)
Fix-It Duck (Duck in the Truck)
by Jez Alborough

5.0 out of 5 stars You will know this off by heart, 20 Mar. 2011
My two boys have both been obsessed with this book - I am sure that my two-year-old's first words were "Fix-it-duck". I can "read" it without even looking at the page, but for some reason I still don't find it irritating. The pictures are great too - lots to look at and talk about. There's even a twist at the end! My favourite of the "Duck in the Truck" books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3