Profile for RGPuk > Reviews

Content by RGPuk

RGPuk (West Yorkshire, UK)

For All Mankind [Masters of Cinema] [Blu-ray]
For All Mankind [Masters of Cinema] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jim Lovell

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, well, well. Waited 26 years - and what a let down!, 31 Dec 2009
I've had the CD 'Atmospheres and Soundtrack for Apollo' by Brian Eno for years - since it first came out in fact, in 1983. Excellent stuff indeed!

I'd never seen For All Mankind but had always looked forward to doing so based on the quality of the music and my fascination with space exploration and aviation.

Having no discs at the time, for my new Blu-Ray player, this seemed to be just the one to get the ball rolling.

Oh dear! Sadly Mr Eno's music, was wasted on this project.

The film is made up of truly wonderful footage, that is badly used, with a poorly thought out script and (no) direction.

The use of the beautiful music is pathetic, even repetitive - indeed, a huge amount of the CD actually does not feature in the film.

Properly produced and directed, this could have been a gorgeous and moving masterpiece worth watching over and over. Instead, my disc is already under a coffee cup and the dog has chewed the box.

Buy the music. Forget the film.

One star because I had no choice of zero.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2010 9:40 AM GMT

Canon i-SENSYS LBP5100 Laser Colour Printer
Canon i-SENSYS LBP5100 Laser Colour Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating. Mac users beware., 8 Oct 2008
Great, super-fast service from Amazon. Printer arrived yesterday.

No included driver for Mac OS X. 24 hours later, using the driver download from the Canon site, I still haven't managed to get the unit to run reliably, in fact barely at all. I'm an experienced user of this tech and haven't had to mess around, with zero progress, like this for a long, long time. This is very frustrating as the few pages I have coaxed out of the machine look very good. I'm just wondering what to do next. Canon support poor.

Update: 12th October 2008 - I have now run the printer from an Windows XP machine. The results are very good, processing / printing speeds are more than satisfactory with appropriate reliability. BUT the problems persist with the Apple Mac driver and use with my Macs is what I bought it for. Canon clearly state that this machine is Mac compatible but I'm afraid the driver software from Canon fails scrutiny. Other users on the web are finding these problems too. Canon support is unimaginative and extremely arduous to elicit. I am now considering return and refund.

FINAL UPDATE 16th October 2008: I know this a review site and not a tech forum - but I do feel the need to be fair. Canon finally came through with useful support, even if the process was long, hard work. My LBP5100 is now working perfectly down to an additional factor in the driver installation process not covered by the Canon installation guide. By using two different Mac OS X 10.4.11 machines to test the correct AND incorrect process, I've found that deleting all other Canon printers, trashing the Canon folder from 'Library' then using 'Reset Printing System' in 'Printer Setup Utility' is essential, prior to a reboot and then driver installation, to allow the driver and utilities to load properly.

The printer and utilities now work very well indeed and I like this printer a lot. 4 stars now - only one subtracted for all the wasted time, toner and paper - aren't I generous?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2009 1:55 PM BST