Profile for sirc > Reviews

Content by sirc

sirc (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Your Defiant Teen, Second Edition: 10 Steps to Resolve Conflict and Rebuild Your Relationship

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget CAMHS. Buy this book!, 27 April 2015
We tried to get help everywhere and this is the only thing that has really made sense for a long time. This book explains how defiant behaviours develop and what parents can do to turn things around. Recommended.

The Practitioner's Guide To Product Management (Top 5 Things Learn/Hard Way)
The Practitioner's Guide To Product Management (Top 5 Things Learn/Hard Way)

4.0 out of 5 stars Answers some of the questions Product Manager's need to know, 4 April 2015
Interesting and honest review of the challenging role known as Product Management. This is not guide book, but rather a review of this job, the challenges one can face and the experiences of the writer and others. Concise book but thought provoking and an interesting read. Having experienced some of the issues discussed by the author I could really relate to this and some really useful solutions are put forward, not just theoretical models.

Slide It In [25th Anniversary Expanded Edition]
Slide It In [25th Anniversary Expanded Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike many, I prefer the original UK version!, 19 Mar. 2014
One of my fave Whitesnake albums when it came out in the 80's but at the time, I did get tired of the Coverdale lyrics and track titles. Embarrassing. I always wanted a copy of the US remix after reading many articles stating that it was the better version and this album has renewed my love of this most underated band.
Unlike many, I actually agree with Mr Blackwell and some other people and I much prefer the UK mix overall.
Gambler: Us remix heavier, stronger guitars and no echo in the vocals. Overall, one of the best tracks on the US remix version and probably better than the original.
Slide It In: I dislike the guitar solo on this US remix. More melody and feel in the UK version.
All Or Nothing: I always loved the UK original. The main riff on the US remix is obviously John Sykes' playing but it just doesn't have the same touch and feel as the original for me and the UK version if anything is also more powerful.

Overall, I prefer many of the original solos. I always used to see Moody, Marsden and Galley as lightweights compared to the big name guitarists but as I have got older I have grown to appreciate these guitarists for what they were. Great writers, players with more feel in one finger than the likes of Sykes had in his whole body. Never liked "1987" other than Stillof The Night and this was Whitesnake's last great album before Mr Coverdale sold out. I don't blame the fella, he has made his fortune and his Purple and Whitesnake albums have given me many, many hours of listening pleasure.

David, reform the old Whitesnake, give up chasing the money and do what you do best. Give us more of the blues!

Chrome Dreams II
Chrome Dreams II

4.0 out of 5 stars Best since Zuma?, 15 July 2010
This review is from: Chrome Dreams II (Audio CD)
I agree very much with Big Jim's review. As a big fan of Neil's early work right up to Zuma plus Rust, this album blows away most of the stuff since. A big return to form in my book and much better than the likes of Freedom. If like me, you got tired of Neil's output over the last couple of decades or so, definately give this a try. The Gibson Les Paul is singing!

Beautiful Freak
Beautiful Freak
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the 90's?, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Beautiful Freak (Audio CD)
The thing is with 'The Eels' you either love them or just don't get it. There is something about 'E's' music and lyrics that totally draws certain people in and spits others out. There are many firecely loyal fans that put this guy up there alongside Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young and others, whilst many people find the Eels plain boring. If you are into rock with melody, songs with stories and thoughtful lyrics and tuneful experimentation, give the Eels a try. This is one of the best albums of the last 15 years with great songs from beginning to end, no filler. 'Novocaine for the Soul' put The Eels on MTV and raised awareness but the album also contains Eels classics such as 'Not Ready Yet', 'Flower' and 'Spunky'. The album is a real grower and every track gets under your skin eventually.

People still talk up U2, R.E.M. and Coldplay. All great bands. However, none of these groups has released an album as good as 'Beautiful Freak' or 'Daisies' or 'Blinkin' Lights' so why hasn't Mark Oliver Everett gone stratospheric?? The man is a genius and I just hope he continues to release great records.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2011 10:41 AM BST

Broken Toy Shop
Broken Toy Shop
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement on 1st record, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Broken Toy Shop (Audio CD)
Much better than hios first record and a glimpse of what would come with 'The Eels'. Straight forward melodic album but with quite a number of good songs. I think I got my copy just before the prices rocketed but worth getting a download if you can as this is a decent album and will be liked by most Eels fans. This album is no 'Beautiful Freak' or 'Daisies' but still a good purchase.

Good but not great. If you are an Eels fan, give it a try.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2013 10:46 AM GMT

A Man Called (E)
A Man Called (E)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Different, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Man Called (E) (Audio CD)
As a huge Eels fan, like many others I wanted to investigate further records by our friend'E'. This is very different from 'Beautiful Freak' and in some ways, more similar to the later work of Eels but not as good. Some good songs but not one I listen to very much and the sound seems to be a tad over-produced to me? I managed to get a cheap copy of 'Broken Toy Shop' off Ebay (Sorry to rub it in), which is excellent and in my opinion, a huge step forward from this record.

'E' would go on to be one of the very best artists of the 90s and noughties. If only more people knew!

Come Taste The Band
Come Taste The Band

5.0 out of 5 stars Just taste it!, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Come Taste The Band (Audio CD)
The trouble is that many Deep Purple fans just want to hear regurgitated 'In Rock's' and 'Machine Head's' and aren't open to new sounds and styles. I love some of the Gillan stuff but I just adore the three Purple albums with Coverdale. When Blackmore left many Purple fans completely lost interest and some people won't give 'Come Taste the Band' the time of day. Blackmore is one of my favourite guitarists and obviously a key part of Purple's history but Tommy Bolin was also a superb player, just very different in style. Personally, I love rock/jazz crossover guitar playing and this blended with blues and funk, makes this a true gem of an album. Better tunes, singing and playing than any Whitesnake album. Tommy Bolin might have been dreadful near the end on a live basis due to his bad habits taking over but rest assured, he put out some excellent records, including this one. If you like the guitar playing, check out Bolin's albums, 'Teaser' and 'Private Eyes', both classics!

Stormbringer
Stormbringer

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the Storm, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Stormbringer (Audio CD)
Still a rock album but with a funk edge (Probably due to Glenn Hughes' input). Great melodies and singing but with Blackmore's guitar a little less to the front of the mix. Compared to many modern hard rock albums, this would stand up to be very strong but a very different sound to the Gillan albums. Worth buying for 'Soldier of Fortune' alone, which is an acoustic rock classic and should be in every rock fans collection. Personally, I loved this version of Purple, even more than Rainbow and far more than Whitesnake. Even with Blackmore in the doldrums, still a great album.

Burn [30th Anniversary Edition]
Burn [30th Anniversary Edition]
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock classic!, 29 Jan. 2010
I agree with many of the reviews, especially that of Francis Brennan. Many Deep Purple fans probably got into the Gillan stuff first and although 'In Rock' and 'Machine Head' are without doubt classics, so is 'Burn' but it was such a big change in direction, many fans just didn't get it at the time or since. Now I can't defend some of the rubbish that Coverdale has put out with Whitesnake (There was some good stuff upto him going all blond and American) but he sang on three of the best Deep Purple albums pressed into vinyl without a doubt, this album being the best of the bunch. A classic from beginning to end in my book although the organ can sound dated to some. Brilliant playing by all concerned and the blend of Coverdale's and Glenn Hughes' vocals is magnificient!

Don't listen to the Gillan fans, buy this, turn it up loud!

Page: 1 | 2