Profile for Mrs. Susan Clarke > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Susan Clarke

Mrs. Susan Clarke "suzy clarke" (NI)

Page: 1 | 2
The Class of '92 [DVD]
The Class of '92 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Beckham

1.0 out of 5 stars Its not bad, its terrible, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Class of '92 [DVD] (DVD)
Before I begin this review I want to make something clear, I'm a Liverpool fan but in no way will I let that negatively influence my comments on this product. Of course people will automatically think that because I've awarded the DVD 1 star that I've fallen victim to subjective bias. I consider it vital for the sake of this review that I skillfully circumvent this potential obstacle!

Class of 92 is mundane at best, filled with boring anecdotes by overrated players with monotone voices. Paul Scholes was a decent, but not great, player. But he's awful to listen to, lets be honest. Danny Murphy was in the same class as a footballer but his analysis these days on MOTD is superb and he's great to listen to, unlike Scholes. When Liverpool had the choice of Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano in central midfield Scholes would've been lucky to be Left Back in the toilets.

The most overrated player in the history of English football is Beckham, make no mistake. When Chris Waddle said he wasn't in the Top 100 English players he wasn't kidding. I wouldn't put him in the top million.

I admit that I have a soft spot for Nicky Butt, who actually possesses some sort of personality. Although he was average at best in the CL final in 1999 somehow his performance that night has gone down as legendary within Utd circles! Typical! Try watching Stevie G in Istanbul 2005, now THAT was a legendary midfield display.

Ryan Giggs, now here's a classic case of an overhyped, one trick pony player. Since he was 17 he was allegedly the most exciting Utd player since George Best. But for such 'potential' he actually has never done anything! That semi final goal against Arsenal was incredibly lucky, he was never in control of the ball, and the finish was pure hit and hope. Patrick Berger was a more complete player and had a better left foot, simple as that. I bet Utd wished they had sold Giggs to Juventus when they had the chance to 10 years ago.

I absolutely detest having to admit a Man U player was good but Best really was quality. The unfortunate thing about any Utd player since is that they haven't a chance of reaching the ridiculously high standards that he set in the 60's. Theres only a few players in history that I would consider better, maybe Keegan, Dalglish, Gerrard, Suarez, Hunt, Rush, Barnes, Fowler, Callaghan, Nicol, Clemence, St John, E.Hughes, Highway, Toshack etc. I would include Owen in this list but he deteriorated badly once he left Anfield.

Anyway, I would recommend LFC 501 Goals instead of this product.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 8:12 PM GMT

Is He All That?: Great Footballing Myths Shattered
Is He All That?: Great Footballing Myths Shattered
by Adrian Durham

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous effort, 2 Nov. 2013
The first thing I must say to potential customers before beginning my review is to ignore all the 1 star reviews of this product. I don't think a single one of these reviewers had actually attempted to read the book and have subsequently let their ill and pre-conceived ideas regarding the author heavily influence their rating. Durham is eloquence personified as an author, a literary genius in fact. You may laugh, but I place him in the upper echelons of great writers such as Martin Samuel, John Grisham etc. Pretty impressive for a radio presenter.

Regarding the book, I actually think Durham does a poor job of shattering the great myths of football. I don't actually believe there are any myths as football is a very simple game. So, in essence he's really only writing about a red herring, and as a result ends up contradicting himself frequently.

Ive titled my review 'Tremendous Effort' but actually im beginning to think I was a tad generous with this heading as it actually wasn't a tremendous effort, it actually was quite mediocre, slightly boring actually. But the problem is that I'm attempting a stream-of-conscious style review so unfortunately I cant go back.

Today I was really busy doing housework, dishes, hovering, you know how it is, the day absolutely flew in. I made myself a hot cup of mellow birds coffee and watched a bit of XFactor which was rubbish. Sorry, Ive went off on a bit of a tangent there.....I actually haven't even read the book myself, which is hypocritical in the extreme as I had harsh comments about similar reviewers previously, Im sorry.

Anyway, buy this book, you wont regret it my friends.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 4:46 AM BST

Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD)
Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD)
Offered by Clickforgamesltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 1 Nov. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Let me be completely honest here, I am totally biased when it comes to the Championship/Football Manager series and have been an avid fan from the age of 5. Even if the game was totally dire I would find myself with no option but to give it 5 stars. In saying that, I am still going to attempt to justify why I have given the latest version a maximum rating.

The gameplay is just a beautiful mix of high quality graphics, smooth 3D match engine and accurate rating of players. Although there are a heck of a lot of players who are over rated such as Balotelli, Van Persie and Drogba etc. I also found myself shelving the idea of watching games in the 3D mode as there were some crazy and bizarre incidents which to put it bluntly, frustrated the living daylights out of me.

I nearly always go glory hunting when I am a manager, and my latest attempt to conquer Europe was no exception as I chose Sporting Lisbon. Although they find themselves in dire straits these days, I am trying to evoke the glory days of old when they were a two man wrecking machine with Moutinho and Veloso. Unfortunately things are going horribly wrong for me at the moment, including being mauled 5-1 at home by Porto leaving me in the relegation zone after 12 games. Afraid of getting the sack I immediately utilised the alt ctrl del buttons and quit the game.

One small complaint about the game is that the 3D match engine graphics are poor and there are too many glitches, I was absolutely enraged during a disastrous stint in charge of Malaga when Roque Santa Cruz was clean through on goal at the Bernabeu and the game jammed. Next thing I knew Santa Cruz was being flagged for off side when it was blatantly obvious that he wasn't. I needed a goal to get me back into the game as I was 4-0 down after 20 mins and was in overload offensive mode. Needless to say, that triple combo of alt ctrl del was again used and my laptop was hurled down the stairs in a fit of pique. No wonder my husband worries about me.

Lastly, I have to admit the game is just so utterly addictive. I find myself coming home from work with only one thing on my mind, getting FM loaded up and formulating a plan that will get me the Champions League trophy. Im absolutely obsessed with that competition, so much so that Ive even dreamt of winning it in FM several times. I got to the final once with Benfica and faced PSV in the final. I actually saved the game beforehand and PSV kept beating me after I had reloaded the game about 40 times. In the end I concluded I was being fixed out of it and just accepted defeat.

This game is flawless in the extreme, with only minor problems that should put no sane person off. BUY IT GUYS! :-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 1:53 AM GMT

Lincoln [DVD]
Lincoln [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, boring and futile, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Lincoln [DVD] (DVD)
Let me start with a quick explanation of how I ended up watching this film. It was a cold and rainy nite in Belfast and I missed the bus home so I took shelter in the cinema and notcied that this film was being shown. Images of the poster reminded me of the great film Tom Hanks once starred in in which he befriended a netball. Obviously and regretfully, I was totally wrong and what I ended up seeing was a lot of boring scenes filled with endless discussions regarting slavery.

Daniel Lewis never particularly impressed me as an acoter, i much prefer method actors such as Robert Di Niro, Luke Perry and Shannen Doherty etc

I know this will get rave reviews, most by people who consider themselves highly intelligent and giving this film a high rating will prove that are smart enough to comprehend it. I feel that if people where honest this film would average about 2.5/5 stars. I know im right!

Amazons delivery as usual was punctual, exceptional and on time, I will always praise Amazon as they never let me down, well apart from once when the cassette player in my hi fi was faulty.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2014 3:11 PM GMT

Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers
Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripping the anti climatic, 3 April 2013
Let me start off with this important note, I have always been a huge fan of the Kindle, being one of the first customers in NI to be a proud owner of the original model released in 2009. I loved the idea behind it, the delicate use of electronic ink, the fast scrolling between screens, and just generally the idiosyncratic concept of a battery powered book. Regretfully, thats where the praise ends. The metamorphasis of the product has been a disappointment for me, why turn it into a tablet a la apple, when they had the perfect product to begin with. No wonder children in my steet are struggling with their educational endevours, they are being encouraged to switch on auto pilot and mindlessly drift along the WWW.

As usual, Amazons delivery was swift, punctual, efficient, precise, marvellous, well packaged, and exquisite, but I sort of already knew I wasnt going to like the product, but constant advertising proverbally twisted my arm and it was almost as if I had no choice in the end. The problem at the minute is, my Kindle is currently being repaired after my young son spilt some of his favourite ribena drink all over it. So ive really only had about 3 hours to analyse the product.

As far as the product is concerned, it is ascetically very pleasing indeed. A superb 8.8 inch screen allows clear reading of books, and the genius of the design allows it to be very easy on the eye without any risk of strain. Wi fi receptors are better than ever allowing me to download some of my favourite books at record speed. I dipped my toes into the world of facebook but alas it was grossly over complicated so I immediatly removed it from my device.

I have to say, sitting down with a glass of my favourite earl gray tea and reading one of my favourite books is a splendid way to spend the day, and the kindle makes this experience even richer, even though it is difficult to beat the literal feeling of a real book.

All in all, an average product with amicable features, but too many flaws for my liking.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2013 12:39 AM BST

A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly gripping, from start to finish!, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD] (DVD)
I felt compelled to write a short review to convey my feelings regarding this thrilling, violent, magnificent, sterling, fascinating, exhuberent, faultless and scintellating epic. It may sound like im over exaggerating, but Im just finsihed watching it and I could watch it over and over again.

This being the forth installment of the classic Die Hard series, I was apprehensive due to the fact the 2nd and 3rd films were too similar to the first, but was pleasantly surprised when this film turned out to be completely different! The plot was smartly concocted, with twists throughout.

Willis seems to get better and better as an actor, and this has to be up there along with Sixth Sense as his best ever performance. This could be the end for the McBane character but hes ensured that it has went out with a bang.

My advice to everyone is to definitely purchase this DVD, you wont regret it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 12:47 PM BST

Maiden England '88 [DVD] [2013]
Maiden England '88 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Iron Maiden

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to my liking im afraid, 27 Mar. 2013
Listen, i feel its important to say from the offset that i prefer pop music than heavy metal. But Ive heard that these guys are masters of their genre, and I decided to purchase this new release along with Blurs greatest hits. Fair play to Amazon, they both arrived at my doorstep within 48 hours.

To ensure objectivety rules in this review, I am jettisoning my previous dislike for head banging music and reviewing solely on the basis of musicianship, picture quality, length of DVD etc and I must say that the picture wasnt great the whole way through. I know this was a recording from IM early days in the 80's but even still, in these days where technology is thriving I feel they couldve ensured a better job was done.

Moving swiftly on to the music, I thought it was too loud, and not enough melody. When you think of classic metal tracks such as ace of spades, Paranoid and Here I go again, you would expect similar quality of IM but it just isnt there. The vocalist Dickinson doesnt seem to be a good fit for the band, I see him more as a frontman for Dire Straits or a band of that type.

This was a borderline one star, if amazon used a 10 star scoring system I wouldve give it 3/10.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2013 9:02 PM GMT

The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer
The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer
by Christopher Hitchens

1.0 out of 5 stars The purest of dung, 14 Mar. 2013
Before beginning this book I promised myself I wouldnt let any pre-conceived idea's regarding atheism have a bearing on my 5 star rating. I think I have been sucessful but I know there may be the odd person who will dissagree with this.

Hitchens was widely believed to be a master of philosophy and language, I have to say on both counts he lets himself down....badly. I followed his lentghly battle with ill health and admired his bravery a lot, I also liked the way he acknowledged Francis Collins efforts to cure his illness (im not sure what in fact it was, I have read conflicting reports). But despite this admiration, I must be objective in my analysis and that is why the book gets 0/5 stars.

I much prefer reading inspirational stories to start my day, I just feel reading this book sets you up badly for the day (you could compare it to drinking coke for breakfast instead of a good bowl of cereal or a hearty fry) I have been accused in the past of sabotaging reviews in the past to bring down average ratings but I categorrally deny this is the case, Im just trying to convey my true feelings.

It is true that I barley got past the 1st sentance of each chapter but even still, the negativity jumped from the page, it was ever so depressin g.

On one final note, I do think Hitches was a master polemiscist but must recommend a debate he had with John Lennox, in which Lennox soundly defeated him, splendid viewing
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 11:17 AM BST

Willow Tree Guardian Angel Figurine
Willow Tree Guardian Angel Figurine

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty beyond comprehension, 7 Mar. 2013
When I look at this product I am filled with deep introspective, nostalgic and unfortunately, regretful feelings. It is incredible the different emotions this envokes from me, quite indescribible may I say!

The design is inquisite, I assume marble, clay, and a small amount of plastic where used in its design. I have placed it on top of my beatiful 42" Sony Viera and I feel it compliments theb Hifi's unique, baroque, bohemiem and simplified style.

It obviously reassembles an angel form heaven helping a small baby come of age and morph into a toddler, ensuring a seemless yet horrific translation.

All in all, quite fabulous
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 12:29 PM GMT

Every Kingdom
Every Kingdom

1.0 out of 5 stars Soothing, slightly catchy.....but ultimately tripe, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Every Kingdom (Audio CD)
Let me start by stating that I have the utmost respect for Ben as a person and a man, but as a musician I just feel he isnt complete. Now that may seem a tad harsh and pessimisitic, but to be blunt I just think he is overated.

The album contains a couple of average numbers, which by the way I was able to listen to the very day after ordering due to Amazons 1st class delivery service. There was obviously dust somewhere in my CD player as the sound quality was lacking and the CD constantly jumped, but I still perservered and listened the whole way through.

Howard reminds me every so slightly of Brian Connolly, with his good looks and excellent voice, but the material on the album isnt good enough for him to showcase his talents enough.

Maybe I should just stick to proper music like Bay City Rollers or Cliff Richard, because I feel the music indusrty has gone downhill in recent years.

Overall I wouldnt reccomend this CD as I feel it is just, well, a little to bland for my palate
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 11:43 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2