Profile for alex's mum > Reviews

Content by alex's mum

alex's mum (Bristol United Kingdom)

The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
by Hairy Bikers
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty healthy 'real' food, 18 Jan 2013
I watched the Hairy Dieters TV series and decided to give the recipes a go - mainly because the Rosemary Conley ones I'd been using were beginning to get a bit samey. I can honestly say the book has been worth every penny (5 from the Book People). Admittedly some of the recipes take some time to prepare, but my family (yes, even the teenagers!) love them and find the portions adequate.
Our favourites are the curries and the spicy bean stew, and I now make double the recipe amount and freeze in portions so I can take tasty food to work. It's definitely worth making two or three times the amount of the korma sauce and freezing some, as although really delicious, it's a bit of a faff to make.
I've read the few negative reviews about this book, and all I can say is please ignore them. The arguments about a low fat diet being bad for you are rubbish. The key is to get the balance right. I should know as I have been on a low fat diet for just under two years, and have lost four stone. In all that time I have never been ill, not even with a common cold.
The one slight issue I have with the book is the odd reference to 'when you stop dieting'. I'm not on a diet - I prefer to see the change I've made as being one for life!

Real Food, Real Fast
Real Food, Real Fast
by Sam Stern
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've got children - buy it!, 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: Real Food, Real Fast (Paperback)
A fantastic book which has revived by (almost teenage) son's flagging interest in cooking. The picture's of cool Sam and his mates certainly help, but if you're looking for a step up from children's cookery books, this and Sam's other book (Cooking up a Storm) are the ones to get.

The recipes are all 'cook from scratch', and do assume a bit of cookery know-how. The results are fantastic.

Only one criticism - there's no mention of the washing up!

Children's Cookbook
Children's Cookbook
by Katharine Ibbs
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Real food made easy!, 15 Jan 2006
This review is from: Children's Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this for my son and daughter aged 8 and 11. They have several cookbooks but this is by far the best. Each step of each recipe is clearly illustrated, and everything is so well laid out that the children can understand and DO everything themselves. So far we've had lamb kebabs with couscous (delicious), some very moreish cheese and potato pasties, strawberry shortbread and a chocolate cake any chef would be proud of. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to get a cookery book for a child, and the recipes are so up to date and delicious that it could even grace the bookshelf of any adult just beginning to cook for themselves (and their mates!!).