Profile for D. J. Sanderson > Reviews

Content by D. J. Sanderson

D. J. Sanderson "spicycook" (Sleaford, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
GreenPan Michel Roux Collection 20 cm Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Non-Stick Open Saucier/Chef's Pan with Helper Handle

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite pan!, 20 April 2015
This is a superb little pan - I use it more than any other. Although only 20 cm across, it's deep so will easily accommodate a casserole or braise for 2-3 people and is also deep enough to boil vegetables. I use it for curries, bolognese sauce, omelettes, scrambled eggs, boiling veg, frying mushrooms - it is truly an all-purpose pan and well worth the money. It's also nice to know that the ceramic non-stick coating is non-toxic and environmentally friendly. Its non-stickability is superb - everything just slides off it and you can wash it in seconds with hot soapy water ( not in the dishwasher, to be on the safe side ). When asparagus is in season, it's just the right size to boil a bunch! It's also a very good-looking pan - not that this really matters, but I do love stylish cookware!
I was so pleased with this pan, I also bought one for my daughter and she too uses it every day and wonders how she managed without it. So I would say : if you are hesitating because of its price, go on - treat yourself and buy it - you won't regret it!

Swallow This: Serving Up the Food Industry's Darkest Secrets
Swallow This: Serving Up the Food Industry's Darkest Secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars a real eye-opener!, 10 April 2015
This book is riveting - I read it in 2 days with increasing horror at the deceptions of the food processing industry. Nothing is what it seems with factory food : even supposedly "fresh" fruit and vegetable mixtures are coated with preservatives and contained in plastic which leaches chemicals into the contents. I thought I knew quite a bit about food processing, but there is so much in this book I was unaware of!
Joanna Blythman has done a sterling job in exposing the dirty tricks of the food processing industry, the hundreds of deceptions they would rather we didn't know about. It is horrifying to realise that all this tampering with food is perfectly legal and that most people are unaware of how processed food is being adulterated. The bottom line of Big Food is to maximise profits, regardless of the cost to health.
The only way you can attempt to avoid all these chemicals is to buy fresh meat, fish, fruit and veg from proper shops and markets, rather than supermarkets - and to cook it yourself from scratch! It goes without saying that choosing organic would be better, if it's available and if you can afford it. But any proper fresh food is better than ready meals!
This book is a wakeup call alerting us to the damage being done to our food by the big food companies, and I would urge everyone to read it. It will change the way you look at packaged food forever.

KitchenAid Can Opener, Black
KitchenAid Can Opener, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A very superior tin opener!, 18 Nov. 2014
This is a very superior tin opener! Although very expensive, I feel it is well worth the money. I've had so many inferior openers that only lasted a few months before losing the ability to slice through the tin, even ones costing around £10 that I expected to last. This one is heavy duty and powerful in its action; it glides quickly and effortlessly round the tin and I'm expecting it to last a long time! I've had it for a few months and so far it has performed brilliantly. I will report back in a year or so to update my opinion of its durability...

Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 2.6L
Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 2.6L

5.0 out of 5 stars I am gradually replacing all my plastic tubs with these - they are far superior to the plastic ones, 18 Nov. 2014
I much prefer these glass containers to the plastic ones - no nasty chemicals to leach into your food! A bonus is that you can cook in them as well and they don't discolour. I am gradually replacing all my plastic tubs with these - they are far superior to the plastic ones.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2014 4:50 PM GMT

Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 4.0L
Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 4.0L

Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 1.5L
Pyrex Rectangular Dish with Plastic Lid, 1.5L

High Quality Toilet Seat | Stable Hinges | Easy to mount | Bubbles
High Quality Toilet Seat | Stable Hinges | Easy to mount | Bubbles

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Nov. 2014
Livens up my boring bathroom to have this funky bubble design!

Triumph Women's Body Make-Up Magic Wire WP Jac Full Cup Everyday Bra, Red/Dark Combination, 40B

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable bra ever!, 10 Nov. 2014
I really like this bra : it gives good support but feels soft and comfortable, thanks to its preformed pliable construction. At last a bra that doesn't dig in and leave red marks! I have now also bought this in black and skintone and never wear my old bras as they are uncomfortable by comparison. This s a great innovation!

Triumph Women's Body Make-Up Magic WP Wired Everyday Bra
Triumph Women's Body Make-Up Magic WP Wired Everyday Bra
Price: £13.06 - £39.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bra ever!, 21 Sept. 2014
This is definitely the most comfortable bra I've ever worn. It feels soft and pliable but holds me up well and gives a good shape. The best thing is that there is no uncomfortable cutting-in, as you get with a conventional wired bra. Its structure is quite different from other bras, consisting of soft pliable curved sections that go under and outside your boobs, and give good support. It sounds peculiar but looks very natural and gives good uplift. I have worn this bra from 7am until midnight and had no discomfort or chafing! This is a first for me so I'm going to order a couple more of these fantastic bras.
I'd be very happy if Triumph produced them in others colours too - red, purple or blue would be nice!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 8:44 PM BST

The Extra Virgin Kitchen - The No.1 Bestseller: Everyday Healthy Recipes Free From Wheat, Dairy and Refined Sugar

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and innovative!, 22 Aug. 2014
I've just finished reading this and it's a really fascinating collection of recipes. I've earmarked so many to try, it's a bit pointless as I want to try nearly all of them! They sound absolutely delicious as well as super-healthy.
The only reason I've deducted a star is because there are an awful lot of unusual ingredients - this may be no problem if you live in London, but I live in a remote rural area and there is nowhere I can buy this stuff. However, all is not lost! I've found that most of these ingredients are available on Amazon, so I'm going to do a BIG order when I can afford it and stock up on everything. I'm looking forward to trying all these very innovative recipes!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 8:36 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4