Profile for Andrew Ives > Reviews

Content by Andrew Ives

Andrew Ives (France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Somebody Get Me A Hammer!!
Somebody Get Me A Hammer!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Somebody get me a proofreader, 26 May 2012
I'm only moderately interested in gambling, but something about this indie publication appealed to me enough to download it to my Kindle. It's short, it's hardly heavy reading, it's certainly written by someone with vast experience in gambling on slots and it's written fairly well. The fruit machine screenshots near the end were a nice touch too, although personally, as someone who isn't too familiar with a Cleopatra machine or a Rich Girl, I would've preferred them nearer the front.

There are a few textual mistakes here and there such as apostrophes misused in "gambler's" and "casino's" many times, a few strange words and sundry other minor things that a half-decent proofreader would've sorted out. The stories are understandably very Canada-centric too and slightly repetitive in certain gripes - such as how self-barred players are free to lose money but not win. A bit more widening of the scope to gamblers in other casinos, regions, countries, would probably have improved this book somewhat. However, the main overriding feeling I had after reading this book was that Hope Barrett doesn't recommend gambling to the reader - which I can well understand - and although the tone of the book is rather a bitter one, if it prevents others from frittering their life savings away, then it is a very worthy read. I'd give it 3.5/5

Tru Calling - The Complete Series [DVD]
Tru Calling - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eliza Dushku

4.0 out of 5 stars So unlike me to watch a whole series, but this was worth it., 24 May 2012
I bought the Tru Calling complete boxset for someone for Xmas, not planning to watch much of it myself. After watching the first few episodes, I was quite hooked which is very rare for me. If it was ever aired in the UK, I never saw it. I bought it solely on the strength of good reviews on IMDB.

At times it reminded me of Ghost Whisperer, Without a Trace, Highway to Heaven, Buffy, Terminator, Sliding Doors, Back to the Future and most of all, like a more agreeable, polished version of the German film, Run Lola Run. If you like any of these films or series, you are sure to enjoy Tru Calling. By Season 2, it veers slightly away from these and takes on a feel of its own. I would rate every episode a consistent 7 or 8/10, and the plot of many of them was about as intricate as a 40 minute story can be. Perhaps the show was cancelled because a few of them were a little too intricate for many viewers' attention span.

Such a shame the series was not only cancelled, but not 'tidied up' with a goodbye episode. As Jack says to Tru near the end of the last episode, "It was nice while it lasted."

Human
Human

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Intelligent and interesting, bordering on geeky, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Human (Kindle Edition)
Berke's style is intelligent and imaginative, technically excellent and the Kindle-isation of Human is near impeccable. This is exactly the kind of story I usually like to read in the sci-fi genre - down-to-earth and set in the near-future.

There were a few times in this extensive sample when the detail rather bogged down the progress of the story - something that I myself do in my own books, and generally consider as worthwhile scene-setting, but others criticise me for. There were a few other times when little slip-ups crept in: Quail always with a capital Q, "your alright", "month's ago" - all rather annoying and amateurish, but fortunately thin on the ground.

With these mistakes repaired, I would rate Human 4*.

Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery
Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - An educational insight for patients, 29 Mar. 2012
I usually enjoy these genre books from teachers, vets, the ambulance service and doctors, and this was no different.

Whilst 'Copperfield' comes across as a bit jaded and supercilious at times (quite understandable for the most part), much of what he said was certainly useful to know from a patient's point of view. I've never fancied being a doctor myself, and I'm surprised the bureaucracy and IT woes don't stop everyone else from becoming a doctor!

This is generally very well written and I even found a few laughs when he described his breakfast and recommending a whisky and a service revolver to read an NHS website.

How I Escaped My Certain Fate
How I Escaped My Certain Fate

3.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Interesting and well-written bitter ramblings, 28 Mar. 2012
Somehow Stewart Lee has managed to avoid my attention on telly or radio, but I think I saw him mentioned in the Guardian once. As I really enjoyed Frank Skinner's book, I gave this a whirl - a very long sample it was too.

His recollections of the 1980s in general, and 1970s mainstream entertainment were interesting enough although his Oxbridge style of writing is rather cluttered and unflowing, bringing but few smirks. Some ropey Kindle-isation does it no favours either, with footnotes all over the place. Toward the end of the sample, I began to feel sorry for Lee in a I-missed-the-big-time-comedy-boat in a Bobby Chariot kind of way. Not really the kind of thing I wanted from a comedian's book, but still rather an eye-opening insight into the life of a perseverent stand-up.

A Top Gear Christmas
A Top Gear Christmas
by Top Gear

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the TV show but..., 24 Jan. 2012
This review is from: A Top Gear Christmas (Hardcover)
I smirked a few times, but generally it was pretty tiresome. I found a few typos too, obviously made in the Christmas rush. A shame because the printing and paper quality was wonderful, and the content could've been so much better.

Flash Crash
Flash Crash

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 'dystopian future' Kindle indies I've ever read., 29 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Flash Crash (Kindle Edition)
Having read this fairly extensive sample (almost 4 chapters) and then the whole book, I can say with some confidence that this is one of the best near-future / dystopian future indie sci-fi books that I've seen, and I've read quite a few. Ruby Andrews' writing style is very readable, professional and atmospheric. Other reviewers here have said that the plot towards the end may be unsatisfactory or too slight - I wouldn't exactly disagree, but that is an argument you could equally level at e.g. The Great Gatsby, which I enjoyed to a similar degree. Perhaps a short epilogue might resolve this? I found the characters sufficiently well-developed and the plot perfectly credible and interesting. Spelling and Kindle-isation was pretty immaculate too. 4.5 stars out of 5.

Lifelights (The Lifelight Series, Book 1)
Lifelights (The Lifelight Series, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural rather than sci-fi, but very likeable, 24 Nov. 2011
A perfectly agreeable, readable, enjoyable example of errr... I'm not sure what genre I'd call it. It's something like British indie paranormal chick-lit with a dash of X-Men thrown in? However you want to pigeonhole it, I think most people would enjoy it. Apart from being a "British indie", it's not really my preferred genre, yet I easily saw it through to the end and enjoyed it perhaps rather more than I'd like to admit. Voyce's writing style is very fluid, yet prosaic enough without becoming stodgy. I think this is her first book - if so, she will surely become a wonderful and well-known writer.

Blue Lights and Long Nights
Blue Lights and Long Nights
by Les Pringle

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle sample only - Probably the most professionally-written of this genre, 22 Nov. 2011
For some reason, the Kindle version seems to be unavailable, yet I read this on my Kindle. It was slightly annoying to have no bespoke cover and the usual Random House wide margin layout on the Kindle, but apart from that the real-life account was well-written, pacy, interesting, occasionally poignant and very gripping.

Flashback (The Saskia Brandt Series Book Two)
Flashback (The Saskia Brandt Series Book Two)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Slightly better than Deja Vu, 20 Nov. 2011
Hocking's style of writing is interesting, gripping, pacy and intelligent. For an indie writer, his publications are quite immaculate in spelling, layout and general Kindle-isation. I really liked what I read of Deja Vu, and I liked this even more. Very good indeed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16