Profile for Kenneth J. Morris > Reviews

Content by Kenneth J. Morris

Kenneth J. Morris (Burton-upon Trent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Bayan Audio Streamport Universal Professional wireless audio adaptor
Bayan Audio Streamport Universal Professional wireless audio adaptor
Offered by hifimedia
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent little device., 10 Sep 2013
Possessed of a) a Blue Tooth enabled Kindle Fire HD (with loads of 'free' Cloud-located CD's, courtesy of Amazon!) and b) a 1970's monster fixed Hi-Fi system in my lounge, I wondered how best to get the two to work with each other. A review of the Bayan device in the Sunday Times led to my purchase that very Sunday (via my Kindle.of course!) and "Bob.s your avuncular relative!" It is absolutely superb. I can sit in my arm chair and play perhaps 30% of my collection without having to move 'owt but my finger.
One tiny note of caution. I live in a low-speed broadband near-countryside community so that in periods of high neighborhood DVD/broadcast download I get slight drop-outs.

The Undercover Economist Strikes Back: How to Run or Ruin an Economy
The Undercover Economist Strikes Back: How to Run or Ruin an Economy
by Tim Harford

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 10 Sep 2013
This is the second Hartford book I've bought and is, considering the subject matter, an easy read. Executed in the style of a conversational 'question and answer' between reader and author is throws much illumination on the current 'state-of-the-nation'.
Recommended.

Blues Bag
Blues Bag
Offered by " Simply Mad About Music "
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare event in jazz., 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Blues Bag (Audio CD)
Of the 30 or so bass clarinet players who have committed their work to vinyl or CD (or to You-Tube clips) only Buddy DeFranco is totally unaffected by Eric Dolphy. This 1964 recording with Art Blakey's group is in Buddy's bop style - I wish he had done more work on the bass - ballads for example - as all on this CD are varieties of 12-bar blues.

Swindon to Gloucester
Swindon to Gloucester
by Vic Mitchell
Price: 17.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent monograph from Vic Mitchell., 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Swindon to Gloucester (Hardcover)
With some useful photos of the GWR Swindon Works (where I started an apprenticeship in 1950) I found this book to be both an entertaining and rewarding read. So many memories of long gone stations/halts came flooding back.

Didcot to Swindon (Western Main Line)
Didcot to Swindon (Western Main Line)
by Vic Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahh! Memories!, 2 Sep 2013
As an early '50's GWR/Western Region apprentice I had first hand experience of the line, the stations and the motive power involved. As always Vic Mitchell's monograph does justice to the subject matter.

The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
Price: 10.50

4.0 out of 5 stars My, how the World Wide Web is changing things!, 2 Sep 2013
As a former Consultant on matters of Industrial Marketing (some 20-odd years ago) I felt that I should examine some of the new communication methods being adopted world-wide. Scott's text is a useful primer but I feel that Social Media is developing so fast that only pure electronic source material (as opposed to eBook versions of printed work) can keep up to date.

Search Engine For Google
Search Engine For Google
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for my Kindle Fire tablet., 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Search Engine For Google (App)
Great app! I use it at least twice a day to deal with questions arising a a writer of specialized record and book reviews.

Finance for Non-Financial Managers in a Week: Teach Yourself
Finance for Non-Financial Managers in a Week: Teach Yourself
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent refresher, 2 Sep 2013
Having last been involved in matters financial some 25 years ago I felt in need of a quick refresher course. This did the trick: pithy and practical.

Fakebook - the Real Book
Fakebook - the Real Book
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolly useful.and extremely good value for money., 2 May 2013
This review is from: Fakebook - the Real Book (App)
As an "occasional" member of jazz groups in which I play both Bb and Eb instruments the availability of a compact (on my Kindle HD) volume of 'standards' chord sequences is jolly useful. The ease of transposition is remarkable. For those musicians who make nightly use of this app I would recommend the use of a 10" tablet.

Management in 10 Words
Management in 10 Words
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb distillation of practical management effectiveness., 2 May 2013
I write this review after buying no less than four copies. The first (hardback) I devoured in three days and then passed to my eldest son. When the paperback emerged I bought two more for my second son and a son-in-law. When my Kindle HD arrived I bought an e-version for myself.
Apart from "The Principles of Management" by Peter Drucker (published initially in the late '50's) I have never come across a more useful guide to successful business management - little theory, just stacks of proven practical methodology. Very highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15