Profile for Janet Stuckey > Reviews

Content by Janet Stuckey

Janet Stuckey "oneillfan" (Gloucestershire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Almost a Hero
Almost a Hero

5.0 out of 5 stars First of many, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Almost a Hero (Kindle Edition)
This was my first novel by Ken McCoy, I thoroughly enjoyed it. A wonderful story of a child's love for her father who was always a hero to her. The fascinating tale of how a small child could outwit an evil grown up with the help of her dear Aunt Liz who wasn't a real aunt at all but who Billie loved almost as much as her father.
If you haven't read any of Ken's books before then I recommend that you start with this one. I am now on my fourth Ken McCoy and intend to read many more.

Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 4)
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Will it be long before the next one?, 9 April 2014
I had waited a long time for this one and it didn't disappoint. No spoilers from me just to say it is another great story of love life and board room battles.

Get writing Jeffrey I want the next one asap.

The Nightingale Girls: (Nightingales 1)
The Nightingale Girls: (Nightingales 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting., 21 Mar. 2014
I found this story of the student nurses very eye opening. Not for the hospitals of the 1930's lots of patients going down with MRSA or Norovirus. These girls scrubbed the wards out themselves everyday even though they had ward maids, and once a week they cleaned everything even the wheels on the beds and the bedsprings. Maybe today's NHS should take a leaf out of their book but then the government would have to pay them more and I can't see that happening, the poor nurses are worked off their feet as it is. Even so the story was one of happy girls finding new friends and sometimes sadness, overbearing ward sisters and tyrants too. This was my first Nightingale story but I am into my third one already.

All My Tomorrows (Beach View Boarding House Book 6)
All My Tomorrows (Beach View Boarding House Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the family, 21 Mar. 2014
I loved this book, I have read all the Beach View books and reading this one was like coming home to a family I knew and loved. Childhood memories of my cousins and myself eating breakfast around a large table in a kitchen with a flagstone floor kept coming back to me as if it were yesterday instead of almost 70 years ago. Ellie Dean has surpassed herself with this story of Peggy Riley and her 'family' of waifs. strays and evacuees. The plight of her latest intake is sad but turns out to be happy in the end. I don't like giving away plots in my reviews, just lets say that if you have read the other Beach View books you will love this one.

Gamble (Dick Francis Novel)
Gamble (Dick Francis Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving., 14 Feb. 2014
This story sets a fast pace right from the first sentence and keeps going until the last page. I really enjoyed it and thought Felix is getting better with every book he writes.
Ex Jockey turned financial advisor Nick Foxton is in trouble from the start, his friend is shot dead whilst standing next to him and the police seem to think that he did it although he couldn't have done. Not telling you anymore, you will have to read it for yourself.
This is a best seller by any standard.

Shattered
Shattered

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Shattered (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was great. Set in the beautiful village of Broadway I could picture it while I was reading. Fast paced and very easy to read, didn't want to put it down, I read the last page at quarter to midnight just didn't realise the time had flown by. I have not been to Broadway since my husband died 8 years ago but I don't remember there being a glass shop there, there may be of course. I am sure that the Wychhaven Arms is actually a beautiful Cotswold stone hotel where they have a gorgeous Chinese Wisteria growing right across the front in the late spring and early summer. Worth a visit just to see it.
Dick Francis really was an excellent story teller and is greatly missed. His son Felix is carrying on the family business extremely well.

Bloodline (Dick Francis Novel)
Bloodline (Dick Francis Novel)

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as his Dad, 21 Dec. 2013
I really enjoyed this book, Felix has his dad's flare, a bit slow to start but when it got going I didn't want to put it down. I am impressed.
I never give the plot away, suffice to say it is an excellent read.

Sir David Jason - A Life of Laughter
Sir David Jason - A Life of Laughter

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an official version, 21 Nov. 2013
I really enjoyed this book in the main. I was surprised to find that David is an EastEnder. There were times when I wondered if the author of the book had fallen out with David over something as in most of it he is very much on David's side but there are parts of the book where he suddenly seems to be anti David putting in scathing comments about his attitude to people he has worked with. On the whole it is an interesting insight into the career of a very hard working and successful man. It is obvious that he is a very private person and values his time away from the limelight and adoring fans that he comes into contact with away from work. I was glad to know that he enjoyed playing Pop Larkin as he is one of my all time favourite characters that David has played. I look forward to seeing him in the upcoming version of Open All Hours even if it is only to see how he copes with 'Arkwrights till'.

The Pretender - Rebirth
The Pretender - Rebirth

5.0 out of 5 stars Long awaited, 21 Nov. 2013
I must admit at first I was a bit dubious about the story as it covers the pilot episode of the series, but as I got into it I found it very intriguing to find out more about Jarod's time at the Centre. If you are a fan of the TV series then you will picture Michael T as Jarod, there is no getting away from that. As the story unfolds you find a lot of things in the book are different from the TV version, it is all the more interesting for that reason. All the old enemies are apparent, especially Miss Parker, and his mentor Sydney. I am eagerly awaiting the next book which hopefully will be out in time for Christmas.
THE PRETENDER LIVES.

George Gently Omnibus (Books 1-4)
George Gently Omnibus (Books 1-4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the TV series, 21 Nov. 2013
Frankly I found the books boring. When I say books maybe I am being a bit unfair as I have only read the first one but couldn't face trolling through another case with George Gently yet. The TV series is a lot more interesting so I shall stick to that I think.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10