Profile for Debraf18 > Reviews

The Accidental
The Accidental
by Ali Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Those Seeking Escapism, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Accidental (Paperback)
Before I began reading The Accidental I was excited to begin reading my first ever book that had won a Whitbread novel award, so I was expecting great things.

However I felt slightly lost and confused in the many enigmas represented in the novel. One of them being the identity of the opening narrator, they were never identified clearly and it left me confused at how they had relevance to the story. This unanswered puzzle I expected to be answered at some point during my time reading the book was never answered and left me wondering how this person was of any relevance to the story. I spent most of my reading time trying to find clues as to who this person was.

However, something I did enjoy is how Smith portrayed her four members of the Smart family through the use of first person for each characters own narration of events. This was something I enjoyed as it allowed me to gather a clear understanding of each character's thought processes and how their individuality leads them to clash as a family. The Smart family consists of a preteen girl, Astrid, obsessed with capturing everything she sees on film, teenage Magnus, a boy harbouring a massive guilt, stepfather, Michael, an unfaithful English professor, and the mother Eve, an author experiencing writers block.

Through each of the Smart family's point of view we see how they meet Amber, a charismatic freeloader, and how she is perceived by each member of the family. First person allows instant insight into how Amber and her charming ways of freeloading have an effect on each member of the family to bring them closer together yet also tears them apart as a family unit more than they were before they had even met her.

One of the things to strike me about this story is that each member of the Smart Family is as equally dislikeable as the last. Not one of them has any redeeming qualities that may allow them to be forgiven for their negative and spiteful thoughts towards each other. The anonymous Amber included due to the ambiguity about who she is which left me constantly suspicions of her and unable to warm to her.

I personally found this book not to my taste. I realise that the books whole storyline was purposely left unanswered to represent that life isn't resolved all the time. However, for my part, I read books as a form of escapism therefore I want the resolved answers that don't happen in everyday life, and I want the happy endings. I would say that this book if definitely for those who enjoy socio-realist genres as the book portrays real life and gets under this skin of the characters to represent that life isn't perfect. However for fellow readers out there like me, I wouldn't suggest this book if you are looking for an easy book to read or if you are looking to read a book for escapism purposes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 5:34 PM BST

The Hangover [DVD] [2009]
The Hangover [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Zach Galifianakis

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Friday Night Film, 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Hangover [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I recently watched The Hangover and it was a great film to watch. It's perfect for an easy watching film that also will tickle your funny bone. There's plenty to keep you laughing as the story moves along at a perfect pace. There are no unnecessary scenes and you are guaranteed to laugh at every single character in the film whether their role is big or small. It's a great film to watch on a Friday night with pizza, but to be honest it's a great film to watch at any time.
If you're feeling down it will lift your spirits as each character is easily identifiable from the stereotypical eye candy male to the loveable weirdo. It is without a doubt one of the funniest films I have seen in a long time. It will keep you slightly on edge as each time there's a resolve to their disastrous events of a forgotten stag night another disaster occurs to keep that's exciting pace gong.
It's a great film to watch with friends or family, whether your male or female so I highly recommend this for anyone in need of a laugh.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2010 9:45 PM GMT