Profile for EOL > Reviews

by Julia Cameron
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 11.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious and unhelpful, 14 July 2012
I purchased the workbook and the starter kit at the same time and I now wish I'd purchased neither. Obviously, a workbook needs to provide space in which to work but I was still surprised by how much blank space the workbook contains.

Unfortunately for anyone hoping for a structured course, this is far more to do with aligning your spiritual self than working on your mindset (which is what I'd assumed) and creative technique. If you're looking for a book that asks you to press flowers to remember your childhood in order to better understand your artistic soul (this was one of the tasks), then these books could be for you.

The books seem to be based more on "the idea of writing about the creative process" than actually writing about the creative process, and the workbook itself isn't helpful at all - the suggestions are so vague and pretentious that they become distracting, even an irritation. And I certainly wouldn't call these books a 'writer's course.' It was awful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2012 10:26 AM BST

The Artist's Way Starter Kit
The Artist's Way Starter Kit
by Julia Cameron
Price: 17.32

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this, 14 July 2012
I've been in a writer's rut lately and I was looking for anything to pull me out. Unfortunately for me, this book wasn't it. I'd heard good things about the Artist's Way and was hoping for something a little more structured and a little less 'free-spirited,' but what I got was a book that reads, for the most part, like it's been written by someone who has been writing self-help books for a while.

Some of the ideas were interesting and I'm sure it's all subjective, but most were too up in the air for me. What I wanted was a book that would help me organize my ideas and rejuvenate my passion for writing. What I got was really a book of testimonials from the people whose creativity was positively influenced by the Artist's Way. There were so many stories about various people who used to be terrible but are great now that it drowned out what little useful information there was, and this wasn't helpful in the slightest.

The morning journal is a lovely book to write in every morning but full of pretentious comments like "Give yourself the dignity of admitting your artistic wounds," or "Are you spending [money] in ways that nurture you?" followed by the page number referencing the page in the Artist's Way that the quote came from. That would be distracting and off-putting enough but there's one on every page - and I would not recommend using fountain pen on those pages. Biro or pencil, or your words will spread though the paper.

All in all, I had heard great things about the Artist's Way but it's far too 'mystical' for me. I prefer something that will give me clear structures or ideas to work from, rather than a book full of people telling me how amazing the book I'm reading is and a few ideas (that are worded to be cryptic and clever when, in actual fact, they're the same cliches used by everyone else). This is a purchase I thoroughly regret.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 3:47 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Feb 2012
These were high quality and easy to use, and they arrived so quickly, too. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.