Profile for me3101 > Reviews

Content by me3101

me3101 "me3101" (Bromley, London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Arista Years 1975 - 2000
Arista Years 1975 - 2000
Offered by inandout-distribution
Price: 29.89

5.0 out of 5 stars No brainer, 8 Dec 2012
Eight great albums for around 2 per album in a nice presentation box. What's not to like? A perfect way to introduce yourself to one of the great ladies of rock.

EDIT: Since writing this review, I notice the price has gone up! If you can find the box set for around 15-16 as I did, snap it up, its a bargain.

Lowepro Rezo 20 Camera Pouch for Digital Camera
Lowepro Rezo 20 Camera Pouch for Digital Camera
Price: 10.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for Canon PowerShot SX220 HS, 26 July 2012
This case is great value. I purchased it for just over 6 on Amazon and see it is now just over 5 - even better value! It is a perfect fit for my new Canon PowerShot SX220 HS and even contains an extra pocket at the front for a memeroy card and spare battery. Great protection for the camera. Perfect.

A Foot in the Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd [2011 - Remaster]
A Foot in the Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd [2011 - Remaster]
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A review from someone who actually owns the album!, 4 Jun 2012
One of my biggest complaints about the Amazon review system (which generally is an invaluable tool) is allowing people who do not own a product to review it. This is especially problematic with music reviews, where certain individuals use the review section to post their views on the artists themselves or what they see as their commercial politics. This is very frustrating when it comes to making a balanced view about the product itself.

This album is a very good case in point. I have read so may reviews about the legitimacy or otherwise of releasing a 'best of' album at this juncture in Pink Floyd's career, that it has been very difficult to a establish the value of the album itself. Hence, I held off from writing a review, until I actually owned the album itself. As with many others I suspect, I own all the music on the album already, so I was not prepared to pay 'full' price for it, but found it recently at a more reasonable price, so was happy to pick it up to see how the compilation fares. After all, that is what it is, a compilation of songs widely available elsewhere but packaged together and remastered. On that basis, it is not a worthless exercise, in my opinion, providing the cost is reasonable.

The first point to make about the product is the packaging. I have become a fan of the slip case packaging, as it reminds me of the old LP covers, which were often real works of art. I would happily see all cds released in this format personally, for a number of reasons, not least that they take up less space and are I assume more economic and environmentally friendly to produce. The artwork, as always with Pink Floyd, is brilliant, the only shame being it is, of course, difficult to make out the detail on such a relatively small item. The booklet inside is only 3 double sided pictures inside, which whilst interesting could I think have been so much more. Incidentally, the picture of the booklet in the 3rd Amazon photo on this site is not the one which belongs with this album, it is (bizarrely) the booklet from the DSOM Experience edition! I like the packaging generally and would give that 5 stars easily.

As far as the songs go, there are really only 14, as tracks 3/4 plus tracks 15/16 are both really two parts of the same song. Of the 14, in my mind 8 are bona fide classics (Happiest Days/Another Brick, Wish You Were Here, Time, Money, The Great Gig, Comfortably Numb, Shine On and Brain Damage/Eclipse and I don't think anyone could argue about their inclusion on any 'Best Of' compilation. Incidentally, Brain Damage/Eclipse was not on the earlier 'Echoes' compilation mentioned in a number of reviews for this album, which I think was an inexcusable omission. Of the others, you could make arguments for their inclusion but likewise could make arguments for probably at least another 20 songs if not more. I am not a great fan of the post Roger Waters numbers (High Hopes and Learning To Fly) and find the inclusion of 'Have A Cigar' particularly surprising, given the vocal was not even by a member of the band!

However, that all said, there is more than enough of a taster here for anyone with a passing interest in Pink Floyd to dip their toe in the water with (or put their foot in the door maybe). As many have said here, if you like what you find on this album, get Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here next and begin a fabulous journey of discovery...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2014 5:27 PM BST

Inspired: The World's Greatest Covers
Inspired: The World's Greatest Covers
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore previous review, 30 Mar 2012
Please ignore the previous overly negative review, which appears to be based purely on the fact that the reviewer does not like the name of the album or that his favourite cover is not on it, which seems somewhat harsh criteria by which judge an album by giving it only one star. I wonder if he even owns the cd.....?

I bought this album inexpensively on a whim and think it is an excellent cd. Most of the covers have a rock/pop bent and predominate from the 60's and 70's, although with some more modern ones as well. Many well known numbers but quite a few I hadn't heard before or ones I did not realise were covers in the first place. It is well worth giving a go if you see it at a modest price.

Superman: Doomsday - The Collected Edition
Superman: Doomsday - The Collected Edition
by Dan Jurgens

5.0 out of 5 stars Doomsday origins, 8 Feb 2012
If you have read Death of Superman, then these stories fill out the gaps in the Doomsday storyline and include some subsequent tales of the beast. I am not sure why the previous reviewer gave this such a low score - his review tells us nothing and makes me think perhaps he is reviewing the wrong item, so this is to create some balance. This edition collects a number of different trade paperbacks in one reasonably priced (at the time) omnibus edition.

Silver Plated Trinket Jewellery Box
Silver Plated Trinket Jewellery Box
Offered by Gift Cookie
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 18 Oct 2011
I purchased one of these as a present from my 10 year old daughter for my wife. The product is excellent, very smart, and great value. The service from AJ In The Forest was first class, as was the communication and speed of delivery.

Holes
Holes
by Louis Sachar
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
Great book, easy to read and very uplifting. Only took me a day to read on holiday and gripped me from start to finish, Highly recommended (for adults and teenagers). Good old fashioned high quality writing.

The Double Eagle
The Double Eagle
by James Twining
Price: 7.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to care, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Double Eagle (Paperback)
I read this on holiday as it seemed ideal for light reading sitting by the pool on a sun-lounger. It is fine on this basis but I really struggled to care sufficiently about the characters or the plot. I was quite relieved to get to the end to be honest. Good at describing watches and games of backgammon, but poor on people characterisation. None of the protagonists seem worthy of your support or empathy and frankly I was not too concerned about who won out at the end, although that of course was fairly obvious all along. All in all, pretty dull.

iTALKonline ProGel BLACK Super Hydro Gel Protective Armour/Case/Skin/Cover/Shell for HTC WildFire Wild Fire Andriod SmartPhone
Offered by iTALKonline-UK
Price: 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good case for the price, 19 May 2011
Most of what needs to be said about this case is already here in the other reviews. It is a good looking and well fitting case with the phone in it, really nice. Only real downside as mentioned elsewhere here is the turning the power/lock button on and off, which is more difficult than it should be. Otherwise highly recommended.

iGadgitz Black Silicone Skin Case Cover with Tyre Tread Design for HTC Wildfire G8 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz
Price: 5.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok - does the job, 19 May 2011
I had one of these for an Ipod touch I owned so when I got the Wildfire I thought this would be good, however, it does not seem to go with this phone quite as well as I thought (or as well as some other cases do). However, it does the job fine and the access to the on/off button through the case is better than some or the other cases. I would give it 3 and half stars if I could!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3