Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Inateck Portable Hi-Fi Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Speaker with 15 Hour Rechargeable Battery and Precision Enhanced Bass (BTSP-10 Plus)
Offered by Inateck

2.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Product With One Major Flaw!, 29 Aug. 2015
This is a nicely designed product with a decent sound quality for its small size - however for reasons best known to the designers themselves they have limited its volume to too low a level. On some pieces of music that renders the speaker pretty much useless - it would not be much fun of a beach party there. I played sacred choral music at the graveside of my recently deceased beloved nephew and was disgusted to barely be able to hear it along with the others who were present - thank you Inateck - your design decisions spoil special occasions like this.

Now for me personally I can overcome this problem since I am able to use the program GoldWave to process MP3 files and increase their volume. (Goldwave is an example of eminently GOOD design, allowing batch jobs of such processing for multiple files with a single click). So with the loss of some time and inconvenience I can use this speaker, and its otherwise fine. And my sacred choral music of Palestrina now booms out impressively ensuring the passage of my dear nephew to the higher plane.

However for those who don't know how to use programs like GoldWave or are simply uninclined to such matters (probably 99% of people I would guess) then this speaker lets them down badly, turning a beautiful device into a £50 paper-weight for their desk.

The speaker is capable of FAR greater loudness than the max volume will allow - and it should be up to the user to use that responsibly and not damage the speaker - that's common sense though init?

So Inateck what is the explanation for this product-destroying design decision of yours? Why did you spoil your nice and potentially excellent product by this most mindless of design features? You have warned us solemnly that a greater than 1A charger will fry our beloved Inateck speaker - so why not equally solemnly warn us turning the volume too high may damage it also - then your covered. But don't cut the volume altogether OK?

Its just like modern TV sets today. They have limited volume level - and many TV channels broadcast at a very low volume - but the TV volume control cannot be turned up to compensate. The volume capability of the TV's speakers is there - as you realise with channels with the volume set to a good level - but the volume control does not allow us to access it. And this is exactly what Inateck have done with this product.

So in summary I am alright Jack as I am sufficiently geeky to workaround the problem - but for 'normal' people Inateck have left them without adequate sound, a totally unforgivable crime.

If you're willing to use a program like GoldWave then go ahead get this speaker - it is otherwise a very good speaker - but if not then beware!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2015 8:07 AM BST

Elementary Statistics Tables
Elementary Statistics Tables
by Henry R. Neave

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Presented Set of Statistical Tables, 10 Dec. 2014
Revisiting mathematics after a LONG hiatus, I have been using these tables in conjunction with my studies in basic statistics, along with Clarke & Cook's very helpful Stats textbook. I first bought this item in about 1985 (yes that's '1985') from the university bookshop for one of my first year undergrad courses in Maths - yes happy halcyon days! My comments here apply to the first edition of 1981. I can highly recommend this book of tables to anyone seriously wanting to grasp basic statistics concepts and practice, even if today the use of tables is in decline due to the use of software packages of various kinds. Performing manual calculations of probabilities and significance tests is essential in order to understand the subject rather than merely plug in formulae. And building on that, making use of the tables familiarizes the student with the professional world of real statistics application, in other words how will the working statistician view the subject - and what are the tricks of the trade so to speak.

What really makes this book stand out for me apart from its overall highly readable presentation is the quality of the descriptions provided alongside the tables - these are not merely quick pointers on how to use them but are detailed yet concise and readable explanations of the concepts involved in using the tables. They relate very well to what you learn in a Statistics textbook and complement it. My Statistics lecturer at University made a good choice in his book recommendations.

On the last page of the book is a Glossary of Symbols, and this is quite helpful, as the beginning student needs to become familiar with the standard symbols that are used eg U is the Mann-Whitney test stat, and S is the sign-test stat, and alpha 1 & 2 for 1-sided and 2-sided sig levels. In regard of the latter, the way the tables for non-parametric tests for significance testing are laid out in unambiguous fashion helps greatly to avoid the confusion often experienced by students regarding the correct critical values to select for the 1-tail and 2-tail tests.

Some of the text in this book is very small, but it is printed very clearly, a very good printing job - I have no complaint. (And because of this small text - this book is perfect for giving yourself a quick eye self-test, trying out reading glasses of various magnifications!).

On the whole highly recommended - and take the time to read the descriptions and directions in this book. I cannot comment on the 2nd Edition of this book as I have not read it, though I have no reason to think it would be any less good.

Scotch Book Repair Tape, 50.8mm x 13.7m, 1 roll
Scotch Book Repair Tape, 50.8mm x 13.7m, 1 roll

5.0 out of 5 stars Its great - it has done a magnificent job on an ..., 30 Nov. 2014
Its great - it has done a magnificent job on an old University maths textbook - I highly recommend this, the book was tearing apart without it, but now it is completely rock solid.

Asthma Free Naturally: Reverse Asthma Using the Buteyko Breathing Method, Suitable for All Adults and Children (includes Free Buteyko CD)
by Patrick McKeown

5.0 out of 5 stars A Miracle Cure, 4 April 2014
I can only say this from experience, but after following the advice in this book on how to stop an asthma attack (or equivalently the video on the author's Asthma Care Ireland web site entitled 'How to stop an asthma attack') my asthma problem of 15 years was cured virtually immediately. Up until then I thought that without my Ventolin inhaler I could easily die of one of my asthma attacks, which at times could be severe enough to require emergency oxygen treatment in my GP's surgery. I lived in fear of asthma - it is a frightening condition, and I know of numerous people who have died because of it. But now this method of cure really is a miracle, I sometimes think this is just a dream and I will wake up. But no - this is for real - I have had virtual total elimination of asthma for 18 months now, and not one single puff of an inhaler in all that time. When asthma does come, the Buteyko method of dealing with it dispatches it within minutes if not seconds. It is quite remarkable just how effective it is. It probably sounds like I am trying to sell something, but I am just amazed at this method, and how it has changed my life for the better - I just want to share that information, that is all!

So I cannot say it will work for every single case, but my case was a fairly typical one I think, an asthma that came and went, but at times could be quite severe and alarming. The terrible truth is, the continued use of reliever inhalers will progressively make asthma worse, as happened to me. And more and more puffs are needed to get relief. I was at times requiring 10 puffs to get relief, the maximum amount according to my doctor.

Using the information in the above video alone I was able to cure my asthma, and did so within 5 minutes of learning the word Buteyko after a Google search for alternative cures for asthma. Up until then I believed there was no cure for asthma, and did a search only out of desperation. I was pretty shocked by what I found.

The proof is in trying it, when it works that's all you need to know. Reports of 90% reduction in reliever inhaler within 3 months are often made, but with me it was 100% reduction within 5 minutes. I never needed an inhaler ever again after that first attempt at the Buteyko method of stopping an asthma attack. Now 18 months on, I am confident enough to go anywhere WITHOUT an inhaler.

Alternative health treatments are a lot more effective than I ever expected - and others worth checking out are : Turmeric (an utterly incredible list of health benefits), Omega 3 Fish Oil, Green Tea, and the book Back Chat by Gary Trainer (can be very effective for back problems).

Asthma-Free Naturally: Everything you need to know about taking control of your asthma

5.0 out of 5 stars A Miracle Cure, 2 April 2014

Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer--And How to Prevent Getting It in the First Place
by Suzanne Somers

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation!, 6 Mar. 2014
This book is a total revelation - the insight it gives into modern medicine is fantastic. It gives us the pointers we need to start making the right choices with regard to our health care - because the system isn't necessarily going to make those choices for us - IT'S primary goal is to make profit - and keeping us ill facilitates that. The corruption in medicine is much much worse than I would ever have suspected. This and other books exposes it, thankfully, because medicine NEEDS to change, and fast.

Philip's Planisphere (Latitude 51.5 North): For use in Britain and Ireland, Northern Europe, Northern USA and Canada
by Philip's

5.0 out of 5 stars Out Of This World!, 6 Mar. 2014
Without doubt this is probably the best six quid I have ever spent, on anything. Unlike some star maps, this map has good contrast, with yellow and white text on a black background. It comes in a plastic sleeve like an old 12" vinyl record cover, together with 2 cardboard inserts, and with that you can keep it protected, eg stuff it down the side of your car seat or in a holdall for example and it won't get damaged. I drive in the evenings for a living, and have it with me at ALL times.

I have taken particular interest in picking out the constellations of the Zodiac, and the planets, and thanks to this map I was able to plan out months in advance which dates and times I would be able to view a certain constellation or star. (It is important to remember when setting the time on the planisphere that you must set it to the UTC time - so in British summer time for example if it is 11pm on the clock then the UTC time is 10pm). Despite poor weather conditions I was lucky in the early hours last weekend to see my own Zodiac constellation Scorpius and its brightest star Antares, along with Libra with Saturn, and Virgo with Mars. Also that night I saw what must have been a satellite of some kind, possibly the international space station, crossing the sky, too slow to be a shooting star, and not an aircraft as not flashing. The speed at which some shooting stars cross the sky is utterly incredible, though I haven't seen that many since around last November.

I have been able to track all the major visible planets ie Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn easily with this planisphere. And together with information from earthsky.org I was able to see the near conjunction of Saturn and Mercury on 25 Nov last year, and I was surprised at how bright Mercury actually was. Note due to its fast movements Mercury is not recorded on the planet tables of this planisphere, but information on it can easily be garnered online, eg from earthsky.org.

For gaining an overall orientation to the night sky this planisphere is really excellent. But you may want a more detailed star map also for further information. This planisphere is great to hold out in front of you whilst you view the night sky, with a red astronomer's head-torch on (such as : Red LED & White L.E.D. Multiposition Adjustable HEADTORCH - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AYXG3E0/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) .

5 Star Office Book Ends Metal Heavy-duty 229mm Black (Pack 2)
5 Star Office Book Ends Metal Heavy-duty 229mm Black (Pack 2)
Offered by Office Nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book Ends To End All Book Ends!, 6 Mar. 2014
These book ends are simply brilliant! They are up to the job even with large heavy books, and they are well worth the money. So many book ends are small and flimsy, and constantly fall down, causing potential havoc, but these are the proper design, tall and with a long base, and sturdily built. Highly recommended.

BLACK 500ml Glass Drinking Bottle - Non-Slip Silicone Grip - BPA Free - 100% Recyclable

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - BUT With A Flaw!, 6 Mar. 2014
Overall this bottle is great - its not cheap but it is a quality item, and after drinking concentrated BPA and phthalates out of refilled plastic water bottles for the past 15 years in my job, it is now a great relief to taste fresh uncontaminated water.

However this bottle CAN leak - but thankfully it is easily fixed. At first I could not figure out how water could escape from a solid glass bottle with tight fitting cap - until I looked inside the cap. Somebody posted a 1 star review on the blue version of this bottle due to this leak (I am assuming their's was leaking for the same reason) - I paste my response below

"Look inside the cap, and you'll see a rubber washer in it. This rubber washer can come out of its groove, and when that happens the bottle leaks slightly - it happened to me. Just run your finger around the washer to press it back into position, and then it will no longer leak. You have to check the rubber washer is in place every time you put the cap on - slightly annoying - and press it in if needed - but most of the time it is in the right position."

Also, the washer might work better one way round than the other.

Secondly it might be helpful, certainly for older people maybe, if cap had some kind of more tactile grip, as it is very smooth metal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 3:20 PM GMT

The Bones Of What You Believe [Digipack]
The Bones Of What You Believe [Digipack]

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS MY CHVRCH !, 4 Feb. 2014
In a quiet unassuming way, just knocking out one great song after another, without seeming effort, each song a lot better than the average pop song, this band has sky-rocketed to a great band of our age - and one of the best bands to come out of Scotland in recent times.

So out there, quietly, musical talent works at its extraordinary craft, transforming our head-space into a new dimension - a dimension called Chvrches, a mysterious alien spelling, a mysterious alien symbolism.

What is happening here I think is MUSIC taking a FRONT seat, and all the rest though it may be fun or important been placed secondary.

How many great bands and great artists go on after greatness to produce so much repetitive musical pabulum - notably the U2's and Coldplay's of this world - capable of writing great songs and great music, yet churning out disappointingly average works - a slave to mass appeal maybe, and the love of mere success, not of actual music - they are trying to 'compute' a formula for maximum success - yugh!

But without effort Chvrches are 'cool' without even trying - that is the long road to success ie creating actual good music.

Like the best synth pop music this album has vocals both angelic and street-wise, it has pathos yet bounce and energy, it has vitality. It surprises with unexpected changes in pace and rhythm, and a finely woven texture underlies these songs.

I hope Chvrches will take with a pinch of salt all the complete BS of online bullying - now a major and sad part of internet communication - OPEN communication is best though, we cannot let these bullies stop us from communicating on the OPEN internet.

In the spirit of Faithless and Maxi Jazz, this is now decidedly MY CHVRCH!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4