Profile for Joe Goldman > Reviews

Content by Joe Goldman

Joe Goldman (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Stamford Jasmine Incense Cones, Multi-Colour
Stamford Jasmine Incense Cones, Multi-Colour
Offered by Indian Arts

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely smell and burn for ages, 5 Jun. 2014
The smell is strong and very pleasant. Shortly after lighting the whole room had a lovely jasmine scent to it. They burn for a long time as well (I am only used to sticks) it has been going a good half hour now and is still going well.

The box was crushed in shipping but all the cones are fine, and it was very easy to re-assemble the box.

Lovely product.

AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
AKG K550 High-Performance Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones - Black
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sound, very comfortable., 6 April 2014
Bought a pair of these today from a HiFi shop in town.

First of all, they are very comfortable. The pads are very soft, and they are fairly loose on your head - I should clarify here:

They sit very gently on your head, there is no pressure (like I get with my sennheisers) and you can very easily forget that you are wearing them. For general use - sitting in your living room/at your desk they should fit you fine (I have quite a small head, so if like me you have a small head it shouldn't be a problem.) If you are more of an active person these won't be great for you - they do move if you shake your head and would probably fall off if you were running/cycling in them.

Secondly, and equally importantly the sound quality:

The sound is very clean from these headphones, the response is very flat, so you are not going to get beats style booming bass, but you can hear every detail in the music. (And if you like a more bassy/mid/high heavy response you can always use an EQ). Playing off my phone or iPod (5th Gen Nano) they are a little weak, but through a DAC/Headphone Amp they feel a lot fuller and richer. This is just something you have to accept with high quality headphones with big drivers - the amp in your phone/ipod just isn't really suited to driving big drivers like these have. The people in the shop said that the Fiio portable amps are very good so I may give one of those a go.

The sound stage is very wide on these cans, it sounds more like you are listening on a HiFi system than having Nigel Kennedy right inside your head!

Overall, really happy with these so far, and not having issues with them causing fatigue. They are really comfortable and the sound is great. And at this price I think they are hard to beat.

Asus Z87-A USB 3.0 Motherboard (4x DDR3, ATX, 2x PCI Express 3.0/2.0x16, Intel, 6x SATA 6.0Gbps)

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not wake from sleep, and has irritating flashing sleep light., 30 Nov. 2013
First of all the main issue I had with this MoBo: I built my rig and then found that (most of the time) when it went to sleep it would not wake up - the power light would stay flashing and the fans would spin up but the displays would not switch on. After a week of pulling my hair out trying to find which component was causing the issue I concluded that it was the motherboard. - I have since gone for a Gigabyte board and have had no issues.

Thankfully though the Amazon return was very quick and painless so 5* for Amazon customer service.

The other issue I had with this board is that when it goes to sleep, it flashes (quite quickly and harshly) the power LED. Obviously if your computer lives in a different room to you or you do not have a bright power light his won't be an issue, however the power light on my Fractal R4 is pretty bright, and at night the flashing would keep me awake. (As a comparison, my Gigabyte board just turns the power light off when the computer is asleep, which I find a lot better).

EiioX CPU Cooling Fan MacBook for Apple A1181 13.3" /13"
EiioX CPU Cooling Fan MacBook for Apple A1181 13.3" /13"

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine - a little noisy., 30 Nov. 2013
I have a 2006 Black Macbook and the Apple fan after almost 8 years of service was making a horrible screeching sound. I decided to try this instead of the £40 official apple replacement part and am very happy with it. It was pretty easy to fit (I would say that if you know you need this, with a little help from ifixit you won't have any trouble replacing the fan).

This fan is a bit noisier than the proper Apple fan (Hence the 4* review), but for £30 less and in a laptop this old it really isn't too much of an issue.

VTX3D 1GB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 Graphics Card with Low Profile Bracket
VTX3D 1GB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 Graphics Card with Low Profile Bracket

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 11 Jun. 2013
Bought this to replace the Intel integrated graphics in a Dell Dimension E520 - the computer has been a lot better to use since installing this card and I have been able to play games like Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 on medium settings without any issues. Windows 7 installed the drivers automatically (when I first plugged the card in the resolution was a bit out of wack, but windows automatically detected and downloaded the drivers and has been working great since). Installing the card took about 5 minutes from pulling the computer out to plugging it back in again.

Because this is a passively cooled card with a fairly small heatsink you will want to make sure you have good airflow over the card, sadly my Dell does not and under load this card is hitting the high 80's which is about as hot as you want it to get - but overall for £25 a fantastic card and I would recommend to anyone that is currently on integrated graphics.

Komputerbay 2GB 2X 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6300 PC2-6400 DDR2 800 (240 PIN) DIMM Desktop Memory
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, 11 Jun. 2013
Installed RAM - system registered all 2GB without any issues, and computer has been a lot faster since (Added this to the 1GB that was already installed bringing to a total of 3GB)

Battery Grip MB-D80 for Nikon D80 D90 SLR Digital Camera
Battery Grip MB-D80 for Nikon D80 D90 SLR Digital Camera
Offered by XIYAN LEI

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy Nikon?!, 21 April 2012
Product arrived on first day of estimated delivery date (4 working days after ordering).

The package included the grip, which is the Meike MK-D90, and a remote (which is a copy of the nikon one, which I owned anyway, but this one is just as good quality, and works perfectly well).

The grip has a similar surface texture to my D90 and the rubberised grip area has a more rubbery feel to it, it is also a different appearance. The unit does feel a bit plasticy, but then again so does the D90! The grip feels very well made, and as far as I can tell (without actually owning one) it is exactly the same design as the genuine Nikon one.

My only concern is that the battery door does feel a little weak, but so long as you are careful, i doubt this will ever be of concern to you.

I have tried this with both 6AA batters (in the included battery holder) and using 1, and 2 Nikon EN-EL3e battery packs. When using 2 batteries in the camera, you can see the levels of each battery in the menu, the camera will use the battery with the least charge first, and then switches to the other battery. The 6AA batteries were pretty much dead, and the camera did not stay on long enough for me to test it all properly, but as far as I can tell it worked fine.

The camera fells much nicer in the hand with the grip on, the on camera grip is somewhat extended, and the battery grip is a bigger grip anyway. The camera also feels a lot more balanced (especially when I have the SB-600 and 18-105 on there! I would very much recommend that you get a second battery for your camera as well, because not only do you get double the shooting time, I think the whole thing feels more balanced with two batteries as well.

It does take a little while to get used to having a grip on the camera, but after 15 minutes, if you take the grip off, you will wonder how you ever managed without it!

The battery grip, (especially with two batteries in) does add a notable weight to the camera, and my D90 does not fit into my lowpro top loader with the grip on, so if your planning on using a camera + grip for taking photos on a family walk or on holiday, I would think again, however if you mainly do studio work, and events photography like myself, then i would class a battery grip as a must have accessory, since it just makes shooting so much more comfortable and natural.

Overall I think this is a fantastic product, and I can't see what nikon have on their own one that means that it has to cost £100 more! For the sake of a slightly different texture and appearance (although it's hardly noticeable to anyone other than a perfectionist), i really can not see why you would ever get the genuine one.

Belkin Pleated Sleeve for iPad  - Black
Belkin Pleated Sleeve for iPad - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, Great price, 18 Mar. 2012
I recently bought 'The new iPad' and wanted a case to keep it in when not in use, and to protect it during travel.

This case is made very nicely, the inside has a soft micro-fiber finish which will not scratch your shiny new iPad and will probably wipe off any fingerprints too! The outside of the case is made from a hard wearing fabric, and the product as a whole feels very well made. there is also good padding to protect your iPad from any little knocks and bumps.

I can also confirm that the new iPad (3rd gen) fits perfectly in this case with the smart cover attached.

Overall I think that this is a must have accessory for any iPad owner, and at £10, reduced from £25, it's a steal!

Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablet
Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablet
Offered by Accessory-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 6 Jan. 2012
This product is fantastic. it's not perfect, there is nowhere to store/clip the stylus, and the screen is hard to read in dim light, but apart from that there is nothing I dislike about this device.

It's dead easy to use, and within minutes of unboxing, my whole family was nagging me to have a go.

I find it very useful for writing down 'to do' lists. Having an awful memory i have to write things down to remember them, and i find that this is a much nicer and easier way to do so than a sticky on my computer. (It also means that i can write down things that i need to do when i'm not at home)

It's a very slim, lightweight device, and although it's a shame that you can't change the battery, by my calculations it will still last for about 7 years, even wiping the screen 20 times a day.

i can really see this thing becoming a very treasured item to me, simply because of all the uses it can be put too (well anything that you could do with paper really, well maybe not paper aeroplanes!)

It's a nice device to draw on and write on, and i will be using it a lot in Design Technology for jotting down quick ideas and sketches before doing properly rendered ones.

Overall i think it's a fantastic device, and i can not think of many people who would not have a use for it.

Creative Aurvana Air Nickel Titanium Premium in-ear Earphones with Flexible Ear Hook Design for Active Sports Use

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic!, 5 Jan. 2012
Ok, so from the very start, you will fall in love with these headphones. The packaging is very nicely done, and definitely matches the feel and quality of the earphones themselves, which are truly fantastic. The build quality is very good, they feel pretty sturdy, and there is very nice attention to details, such as the bit that alters the length of the earphone wires being made of metal, and matching the look of the 3.5mm jack. The sound quality is stunning, very clear, crisp sound. The bass is not great on these, but for earphones is as good as I have heard, but don't expect any 'thumping base' out of them. They also come with a nicely made leather pouch for storing them safely.

They are very comfy to wear, possibly more so than my sennheiser headphones.

Overall I think these are fantastic earphones and would highly recommend them.

Page: 1 | 2