Profile for D. Jeary > Reviews

Content by D. Jeary

D. Jeary "Plutonic" (Leicestershire, UK)

iWork '09: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
iWork '09: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Josh Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a manual written in beautifully clear English!, 29 Nov. 2014
I bought this because I needed to get up to speed with iWork for my job (having never used a Mac before), and I must say, it's been a godsend. Mr Clark should be congratulated on his ability to explain practically everything you'd ever need to know about using Pages, Numbers and Keynote in a wonderfully clear manner. His style is gently witty without being irritating - unlike some other manuals which treat you like a moron. Thoroughly recommended.

40-LED 13 Feet Battery-Operated Christmas Wedding Fairy Decorative String Lights - White
Offered by coolloodas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 18 Oct. 2014
Very impressed with these bright but dainty lights. I was worried that for this low price they would be shoddily made and wouldn't work, but I was wrong on both counts. The battery cover was a little difficult to remove - until I realised that it slides off. N.B. - for the non-flashing option, push the 'on' switch ALL the way over.

Stars Aligned
Stars Aligned

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, bombastic & melodic - deserves to be huge!, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Stars Aligned (Audio CD)
I bought this after a well-known rock magazine gave the album a rarely-awarded but thoroughly deserved 9 out of 10. Their sound is an electrifying mix of melody, bombast, atmospherics and glorious harmonies, with nods to the past and yet managing to sound utterly cutting-edge. The overall effect is `Muse meets the Beach Boys' and it's incredibly uplifting, even though lyrically it's often quite dark in tone.

I agree with the other reviewers in that the album may be too eclectic for some, but if you're a fan of intelligent, modern, accessible prog (with a pop sensibility) then you won't be fazed by songs that change tack half way through or use instruments other than - or more accurately, in addition to - guitars/keyboards/drums.

I can see why the brothers are big stars in their native Finland; now it's time for the rest of the world to sit up and take note! Off to buy their first two albums now......

Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike
Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful, Anarchic, Irresistible Gogol!, 12 July 2006
I saw Gogol Bordello live a few days ago in Nottingham, and they were outstanding - I felt like I'd attended a wild but exceedingly good-natured party afterwards! You may perhaps be thinking that their particular brand of mongrel musical influences is `not really my kind of thing'. I recommend you put your pre-conceptions and prejudices behind you, because if you love a good beat, love to dance, sway, clap, pogo, headbang or whatever,if you've ever tapped a foot to a reggae beat or wished you could join in one of those Eastern European wedding dances, then believe me, you will enjoy this band!

On record, you don't get the full live drama and spectacle of course, but nevertheless, `Gypsy Punks' is an extraordinarily exhilarating listen. My favourites are the irresistible gypsy dance vibes of `Mishto!' and `Not a Crime!'; the frenetic and punky `I Would Never Wanna Be Young Again'; stomper `Undestructable', which (like so many of the songs) makes the accordion seem oh-so-cool; and `Underdog World Strike' with its reggae beat and entrancing violin riff.

This album features some of the wittiest, most hilarious, most poetic and yes, most insightful lyrics I've heard for ages, and much of their impact is down to lyricist /vocalist Eugene Hutz's delivery, which somehow manages to be both manic and precise at the same time. Check out especially the lyrics to `Oh No', `I Would Never Wanna Be Young Again', `Illumination' and `Dogs Were Barking'. It's by no means a `one man band', though - the level of musicianship of all the band members (and violinist Sergey Ryabtzev in particular) is outstanding.

If you're open-minded and love new musical experiences, buy this album - you won't regret it!