Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for M. F. Griffioen > Reviews

Content by M. F. Griffioen

M. F. Griffioen (amsterdam Netherlands)

Abba by Micke
Abba by Micke
by Micke Bayart

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but..., 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Abba by Micke (Paperback)
I thought this book was entertaining enough, with many (amateur) photographs of members of ABBA and their extended family (Gemini, cast of Chess etc.) getting out of cars, walking through airports, coming out of offices or studios. The anecdotes and short interviews by the book's writer as he follows band members everywhere, contain no shocking revelations, but they feature some candid and spontaneous personal moments, since many of these ABBA encounters were not planned by the band or their record company. And that is also where my unease about this book starts. As you go through it, you start to wonder what Benny, Björn, Agnetha and Frida thought when they saw this guy again and again, outside their houses, outside their hotels on holiday, outside tv studios, at airports...Just how many items did he make them sign? I know what it is like being a fan, but there is a sense of entitlement that shines through here, that he always has a right to take their picture, to get his album signed, to ask them questions. He writes about meeting Gemini in 1985: 'Out came our cameras again but Anders (Glenmark, one half of duo Gemini) thought that it was a bit too early in the day to have photos taken. However, we thought otherwise, so, for our part, we decided that they had to grin and bear it.' It is this disregard for his subject's feelings that left a bad taste in my mouth. Reading between the lines, it feels as if ABBA put up with him because he worked for the German ABBA fanclub, but I can't imagine they were always pleased to see him. I stress that I don't know the author personally and these opinions are based solely on the image I got from him after reading the entire book. A last telling detail is that in the acknowledgements section at the end, he thanks a long list of people, but fails to mention ABBA themselves; the people he followed around relentlessly for years, who were so gracious to him on so many occasions; the very people without whom he wouldn't have had a book to write.

Todo Abba
Todo Abba

5.0 out of 5 stars A great CD+DVD compilation with some Spanish versions included., 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Todo Abba (Audio CD)
A great CD + DVD compilation, released in Spain in 2004, this includes 19 audio tracks and 19 music videos on a seperate DVD. None of the tracks are unique to this compilation, but the combination of music tracks (some of them the Spanish versions) and videos makes it a very attractive package. Tracklisting:
CD1-1 Waterloo 2:46

DVD1-8 Knowing Me, Knowing You
DVD1-9 I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
DVD1-10 Voulez-Vous
DVD1-11 Does Your Mother Know
DVD1-12 Estoy Soñando (I Have A Dream)
DVD1-13 Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
DVD1-14 The Winner Takes It All
DVD1-15 No Hay A Quién Culpar (When All Is Said And Done)
DVD1-16 One Of Us
DVD1-17 Fernando
DVD1-18 Felicidad (Happy New Year)
DVD1-19 Thank You For The Music

Cool Yule / Yule Log [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Cool Yule / Yule Log [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by M and N Media US

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what is says on the tin., 6 Dec. 2013
Another reviewer on this page felt mislead by the DVD cover. Let's see; it is called The Yule Log Edition, there is an actual picture of the burning yule log on the cover, and next to that it says: Watch classic holiday scenes while listening to Cool Yule by Bette Midler. And that is precisely what you get! A great Christmas album performed by The Divine Miss M, while you can choose between 3 Christmas themed "filmed wallpapers" which all look great. Cheesy, sure, but that's allowed around Christmas, right? So pop in the DVD, choose between the burning fire, the cozy cottage or the snowy cabin, and presto: instant holiday spirit! Musically, there are no great surprises, but the album sounds wonderful and classy, with some big-band numbers, some warm, jazzy arrangements and a few less over-used seasonal tunes thrown in, too. The songs she performs are:
1: Merry Christmas
2: Cool Yule
3: Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
4: Winter Wonderland / Let It Snow (duet with Johhny Mathis)
5: I'll Be Home For Christmas
6: What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
7: I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
8: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
9: Mele Kalikimaka
10:From A Distance (Christmas Version)
11:White Christmas

Sennheiser PX 100-II Foldable Open Mini On-Ear Headphone - Black
Sennheiser PX 100-II Foldable Open Mini On-Ear Headphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but..., 26 Jun. 2012
I fell in love with the sound these comfortable little things provide, and have been using them for over 5 years (the first was its predecessor, the PC 100). They sound remarkably full and detailed for such small headphones, and are small and easily tucked away. But...during these 5 years I have gone through 3 pairs. I treat them with care but - as stated in other reviews - after about a year of using them, one of the channels gave out, every time. Also, the ear padding came off rather easily after about 6 months. So, eventhough 30 GBP isn't much for a great sounding pair of headphones, I am going with another model this time, simply because I don't want to keep replacing them every 1 - 1,5 years.

In Your Room
In Your Room

4.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 mixes are a big surprise, 31 Dec. 2008
This review is from: In Your Room (Audio CD)
Having been a Yazoo collector for years, this box set sadly doesn't feature any tracks or remixes that I don't already own on cd. The biggest omission to me is the wonderful "Get Set" they recorded for a BBC show. With all the BBC performances featured on In Your Room, I was extremely disappointed to see that Get Set had not been included.

Having said that, I was very excited about hearing both Yazoo albums remixed in 5.1 stereo. These surround versions are very different in some places to the stereo mixes, to a point where whole notes are missing, parts are mixed into the background to being almost in-audible, and other parts that were background noises before, now become lead sounds. In some cases it works out beautifully, in others it is very annoying to find your favourite sound practically gone from the mix (the rhythmic, crispy synth sound right before "Hey baby!" in Walk Away From Love!). Also listen to the intro of Walk Away From Love; the drums and bass crash in quite crudely, where originally it builds up very smoothly.

Then, there is the overall extreme compression of the 5.1 mixes, making them sound extremely "in your face". This is especially obvious on Vince's voice in I Before E Except After C, making it almost uncomfortable to listen to.

So, are these mixes an improvement? I think they are a very interesting re-interpretation, and offer insight into the tracks, giving you the chance to hear certain parts for the first time, Alison's voice sounding very clear and crisp. You'll discover bits you didn't realize were in there (even extra dialogue in Ode To Boy, right after "that I'm in awe of his despair"!)

All in all, still a great buy, even for the avid collector like me.

For Your Consideration [DVD] [2006]
For Your Consideration [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Christopher Guest
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars So much to enjoy!, 19 Nov. 2007
After reading quite a few disappointing reviews of this film, I felt less and less in a hurry to go and see it, even though I am a big Christopher Guest fan. But boy, am I glad I finally did buy a copy! Even if it feels a bit sketchy in places, every scene is a joy to watch, and the outtakes on the DVD are easily as good as anything that did make the final cut. Christopher Guest generously gives each member of his wonderful cast at least one scene to shine, and shine they do. Much has been said about Catherine O'Hara's performance, and she IS wonderful, both heartbreaking and hilarious as the character actress who gets bitten by the Oscar-bug. Fred Willard and the wonderful Jane Lynch are absolutely hysterical as the morning-tv show hosts from hell, who aren't that far away from anything we actually see on tv every day. As with all good satire, it feels like you are watching a documentary. When you see Catherine O'Hara's character watching the oscar nominees being read out on tv, waiting for her own name to be mentioned, you realise: that's what it actually must be like for these actresses! So, all in all, perhaps not Christopher Guest's most solid film, but I assure you, if you have liked his work before, you are going to love this one. I certainly did!

Do You Know?
Do You Know?
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hurray for pop!, 24 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Do You Know? (Audio CD)
Although I can't really take this man seriously, with his preposterous posing, constantly pained look, and supposedly "dramatic" performances, he sure releases some catchy tunes. This one positively bursts out of of the speakers with its 80-ish keyboard riff and addictingly hooky chorus. It is a shame that Amazon doesn't always give an accurate tracklisting of cd-singles, as there are often 2 or 3 different versions out there, and knowing which mixes are on a single is what makes me decide whether or not to buy it. The same here: it just says "Do You Know" twice. I'm sure there have to be some good club mixes of this song!

Out Of The Blue
Out Of The Blue
Offered by Mattpuss

5.0 out of 5 stars the track that started it all, 13 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Out Of The Blue (Audio CD)
Bold, epic, frantic, dramatic and oddly moving, "Out Of The Blue" still stands out as the ultimate trance anthem. It showcases Ferry Corsten's talent as a producer and songwriter and his flair for big melodies. The record put the trance sound firmly in the mainstream, where it has stayed ever since.
Starting out with a straight-forward, fast, crudely produced drum machine, then adding bassline and a sound much like an air-raid alarm, the record really comes alive when the beat stops and the main melody is introduced: a wave of notes comes at the listener, in a cloud of repeat echoes and reverb, forming a lush tapestry with at its heart a simple tune, full of melancholy, almost a lullaby. The notes are then filtered, the high frequencies almost completely disappearing, only to be brought back again like a flower opening and that's when the beat crashes back in and the record makes its crushing impact. An effect that many have since tried to emulate, a sound that has now become ubiquitous in clubs and even in the charts, let's not forget where we first heard it and the sheer joy and excitement it caused.