Profile for Haraheart > Reviews

Casanova [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winning Combination, 26 Sep 2006
This review is from: Casanova [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I enviously watched the trailers for Casanova when I didn't have access to BBC3 - I thought it looked like an exciting, colourful romp. I waited everso patiently until it was repeated on BBC1 and was not disappointed in the least.

Peter O'Toole is brilliantly cast as the older Casanova, remembering his past and all the women he had ever loved. His portrayal was poignant and sometimes a little scary, but as his quest for Henriette comes to a close you really do feel sorry for the man with so much potential having become a fairly lowly Librarian and object of ridicule.

Laura Fraser is stunning as Henriette - the kind of enigmatic and beautiful woman we all strive unsuccessfully to be! Rose Byrne is the picture of innocence and amused shock at the older man's tales. Both women play their parts beautifully.

Russell T Davies' writing was already known to me to be something special, my particular favourite being 'Queer As Folk'. Again, he manages to give us a lively tale with great one-liners, action, punches and sex - lots of it. The way he explores Jack's fears over falling in love with Bellino is brilliantly done and he doesn't shy away from controversial topics (In fact, such topics are becoming more mainstream and less hidden thanks mainly to people like him).

And finally ... how could I review this without mentioning David Tennant? I can't. That man is such a talented actor, he makes every part his. He is quirky, cheeky and devillishly charming. A previous review said that RTD wanted to steer away from someone conventionally handsome for the part - maybe David Tennant isn't conventionally handsome, but I certainly wouldn't kick him out of bed!

This is a must for any fan of Russell T Davies or David Tennant; they are a winning combination as Doctor Who's tenth incarnation only proves.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

4.0 out of 5 stars Can YOU dance like a Hippogriff?, 27 Oct 2005
I have all the Harry Potter soundtracks and was most disappointed that John Williams would not be doing the music for the fourth film. I was worried that we would lose the beautiful 'Hedwig's Theme' and therefore the magical, almost Tchaikovsky-esq feel.
Ok, so there's a bit of Jarvis Cocker - certainly unexpected but not unpleasant (it brings a smile to my face hearing him chant 'can you dance like a hippogriff'. I haven't seen the film yet, but I have read the book and seen the trailers - we know this is a lot darker tale than the previous Harry Potter adventures and the music is similarly dark - warning and foreboding almost.
Patrick Doyle has done a good job, taking elements of John Williams's themes without re-hashing tired stuff that's already been done. Some of it is not instantly recognisable as Harry Potter, but that's not a bad thing. Hedwig's Theme is buried in there and pops up on occasion ... I look forward to the film and being able to buy the soundtrack (from Amazon, of course!)

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars A Love Story, 22 May 2005
Henry and Clare's love knows no bounds. Time, age, loss and disaster and their love grows stronger. This is a beautifully crafted tale, and despite jumping around in time and two different first person perspectives it wasn't confusing at all. I too cried as I read the last few chapters, feeling part of the inevitability of it all. As soon as Henry met Alba at the school trip I knew ...
It is funny and sad, witty and deep and demonstrates how real and believable people cope with an unbelievable situation. Clare is just so balanced, and matter-of-fact about it all as she's growing up having clandestine meetings with her future husband.
I was worried that this might become a bit risque when the grown Henry spends a lot of time with the child Clare - my worries were noted, and dealt with without any hint of anything inappropriate; Henry is the perfect gentleman (at least until Clare's 18th).
Read this book and enjoy it - I did.

Duran Duran
Duran Duran
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and unique sound of five lads from Brum, 24 Sep 2001
This review is from: Duran Duran (Audio CD)
The first Duran Duran album, and delightfully dark, almost gothic. It still sounds different though. Nobody was this original, still nobody is. The great Planet Earth, and Careless Memories take me back 20 years (Am I REALLY that old?). The fabulous Night Boat (any John Taylor fan can't help but love the video). My favourite track has to be Sound of Thunder - that's where the sound of the Power Station came from. Totally original, totally brilliant, would still stand up today in the sad pop world.