Profile for Pichel3000 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8
Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8
Price: 239.86

5.0 out of 5 stars we love our new Wii U - a great console for the entire family, 16 Jun 2014
Here's a review of an occasional family-gamer and -father of 2.

We bought our console as a Premium Pack including Mario Kart 8. Mario Kart Wii has been our family favourite and our entire family of 4 has played it for years. Therefore, upgrading to MK8 seemed like a natural next step.

But buying a new console simply because of one game at first sounded silly and the research pointed me to a lot of negative articles and posts, criticising a lack of titles for the Wii U - some even talking about the console's demise. At first, my decision to order a console that had such a bad rep did not sound like a great idea. However, I ordered the premium pack anyway, declaring openly that I needed to have my head checked.

Having used the console for over 2 weeks now, I have to say that I am positively surprised. We now own 5 games (Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros, Rayman Legends, Fifa 2013 and Wii U Party, which came with a Wiimote included) and enjoy all of them very much. I have not regretted the expense and when checking the latest E3 announcements I've noticed that some interesting titles are on their way.

The Gamepad offers a great new way to interact and collaborate in games. Rayman Legends is a great example, where my kids walk through game passages together, helping each other out via the touchscreen and the Wiimote. For those not taking part, watching the gameplay on the big screen is also a great experience. I know Nintendo got some flak for the split screen gameplay, which I find hard to understand. It might not work as well in some games, but those game developers which design new interaction from the ground up will be able to create a totally new way of playing. I also find that the possibility of playing a game on the gamepad while the TV set is used for watching something else is a step forward.

Another advantage of the (currently) lower sales figure is that games can be had for a bargain: Rayman Legends and Fifa 2013 together cost us just over 21 ! However, newer games will still come at a premium, I am sure. In addition, I have to admit that I find most of the games available for Wii U more "family friendly". Yes, there is a lot of Mario, Wario, Ludwig and Princess Peach, but the vastly improved graphics give these candy floss worlds a very different image and feel (once you've played MK8 you might understand what I am talking about!). However there are other games such as Rayman and Pikmin that not only look great, but also use the gamepad in an innovative way.

On the whole, I think Nintendo has created something remarkable here and the family is very happy with its Wii U purchase.

Mendelssohn/Bruch: Violin Concertos [VINYL]
Mendelssohn/Bruch: Violin Concertos [VINYL]
Price: 26.23

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 of the 4 great German vision concertos in one, 7 Jun 2014
As a double whammy, this record really delivers. Not only do you get a well-mastered recording and great vinyl pressing. You'll also get 2 of the greatest 4 violin concertos written by german composers, the missing ones being Brahms and, of course Beethoven (go for Jochum, Berlin Philharmonics and Schneiderhan on DG). Menuhin moves through these pieces with his typical grace and finesse. You can't go wrong with this recording.

Faure Requiem Pavane Op 50 [VINYL]
Faure Requiem Pavane Op 50 [VINYL]
Offered by RevisionNet
Price: 13.67

5.0 out of 5 stars On vinyl this recording is probably amongst the best, 7 Jun 2014
A beautiful recording and great pressing of this well-known piece. Pavane at the end rounds it off nicely. A must-have.

Beethoven: Triple Concerto [VINYL]
Beethoven: Triple Concerto [VINYL]
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great expression of musicality - a must-have, 7 Jun 2014
Whilst this might not be an absolute top recording, it is one I keep on going back to over and over again. Compared to the Karajan recordings with Berlin Philharmonic and Weissenberg this is a more welcoming recording, which shows the musicianship and "Spielfreude" between Oistrakh, Richter and Rostropovich. If you're serious about Beethoven then this is one to have in your collection. My vinyl copy arrived in immaculate condition without any noticeable difficiencies.

Seesaw [VINYL]
Seesaw [VINYL]
Price: 15.11

2.0 out of 5 stars great music, but poor vinyl production, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Seesaw [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This album is great and I particularly like Beth's voice. I had listened to the album on Spotify when it came out and being the vinyl enthusiast that I am, decided to order the vinyl via Amazon.

However both Bonamassa albums I own now ("Driving towards the daylight" and "Seesaw") suffer from the fact that too many tracks have been crammed onto a single disk. Unfortunately, the poorer, condensed sound quality is evident in both cases.

With a recent surge of vinyl releases, many labels issue double albums. Fans of vinyl records are usually prepared to pay the additional 5. Why is it not possible for Provogue Records ?

Spellbound (180g Vinyl) [VINYL]
Spellbound (180g Vinyl) [VINYL]
Price: 21.04

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting, spiritual homage to the trumpet (by a percussionist), 17 May 2013
No eloquent review here. If you like Trilok's music, you will love Spellbound.

My favourites are Cuckoo, Spellbound and Like Popcorn. It's such a great cultural and spiritual crossover. Vinyl comes with the CD included, which is great in the car.

Best Jazz album of 2013 for me so far.

Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Price: 69.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave up the ghost after exactly 2 years, 21 Jan 2013
After 2 years and a couple of days our Sonicare -which thus far worked well- gave up. It seems the (non-replaceable) battery has had it.

Consider before you buy...

APPLE IPAD SOFT SILICON SKIN CASE - BLACK PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE
APPLE IPAD SOFT SILICON SKIN CASE - BLACK PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE

4.0 out of 5 stars ample, cost-effective iPad protection, 10 Jun 2010
With this silicone iPad protector, I got exactly what I expected, a cheap, effective cover for the device. It fits well and prevents the back and bottom from getting surface scratches.

If you're like me don't want to shell out for a designer case then this is the one for you.

Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
by Dave Mark
Price: 31.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 10 Feb 2010
I've worked halfway through this book now and find it both interesting and fun. Both authors have a very relaxed writing style, which helps. Trickier sections are introduced with a little "warning" for the reader to ensure the focus is there. Altogether the book makes a very rounded impression.

My own background is business app and web app development (SAP ABAP and other SAP proprietary languages, PHP, Javascript), so object oriented programming wasn't new to me. However as a complete newbie to Objective-C I have to look up the odd statement and code segment, but the web can help out here.

I have already wishlisted the "More iPhone 3 Development" by the same authors, as this seems to get deeper into local data storage and usage of web services, which is of interest to me.

Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by AVOCADO DEALS
Price: 139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I went for the 305 and not the 405, 28 Aug 2008
I've been using my Forerunner 305 for over 2 weeks now and I am very, very happy with it. Although I know it is sad, but this little device was one of my main motivations to get back into long distance running after a 5 year break.

Since Garmin has updated its GPS watch range choosing the latest model (Forerunner 405) would have been obvious, but I am glad I followed the advice of some reviews on here and elsewhere to go for the older and bigger 305 instead.

Why? Well, first of all I have a very nice everyday wristwatch and do not need a running watch that I can also wear at work or in the pub. Yes, the 305 is quite a biggie, but when I am out and about on a run then I don't really mind. After all: I'm out there to pound roads and not catwalks! With roughly 77g the watch is -despite its size- not too heavy and does not disturb me during my run.

The user interface (ie the way how to move and navigate through the screens and menus) is very well done and cleverly thought through. The accompanying software from Garmin is -well- sub-optimal. Thank god there now is a Mac version of it, but the overall functionality is nothing to write home about. As a Mac devotee, I am currently trialling a log software called Ascent (for Mac OS X), which seems to fit the bill for me. However you'll still require the Garmin software to upload your own workouts or courses, so you can't replace it 100%. But Ascent is much better in graphing your progress and displaying your route on Google Maps, for example.

What I love about the watch are the aggregated History screens. You can see your total weekly milage and average heart rate for a week. The 305 stores up to 1000 laps, which should enable me to store a whole marathon preparation training onto the watch - maybe even 2.

Another very good aspect is the fact that I can now see my current pace and heart rate on 1 screen, which really helps me to pace myself during a training run. I also love the Virtual Partner function, although I still haven't understood which time and pace the VP takes (the last run or an average of previous runs on the course?). The manual does not reveal any details on this.

Satellite aquisition is relatively fast. You basically need to be outside for a minute or 2 before you start your workout in order to get a satellite fix.

On the whole I can only recommend the 305. The 405 might be smaller and newer, but I've saved roughly 80-90 by purchasing a 305... that's a pair of new running shoes in my book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3