Profile for Ms. S. Capes > Reviews

Content by Ms. S. Capes

Ms. S. Capes "missnox" (UK)

DragonBall Z: Season One (REGION 1) (NTSC) [DVD] [US Import]
DragonBall Z: Season One (REGION 1) (NTSC) [DVD] [US Import]
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap release of a massive anime., 3 Feb. 2009
This DVD set is Region 1,2 and 4 NTSC. Which means that to play it you will probably need a multi region DVD player. The box itself is aesthetic, and folds out nicely. There is also an A6 (small) booklet inside with character and episode summaries, screen shots and illustrations.

The episodes themselves are completely uncut. They feature a lot more of those silly extra scenes, the typical Dragonball Toriyama humour which shines through even now that the characters are all beefed up and power level crazy. They also show blood and less screen panneling to waste time because they don't cut out the violence. As for the animation, though lines still flicker on the edge of character's faces sometimes, the colours are much brighter and more enhanced than the original series' was.

The voice-overs have been completely redone. So all the voice actors who were in DBZ in the last season voiced the earlier seasons for this DVD set as well. Because of this, the dialogue often changes, which can be a bad thing if you loved a particular scene, but it means there's no more annoyance over a character's voice changing half way through the series. The best thing about this box set in my mind is that you can mix and match Japanese and English voices with Japanese and English music. So if you like the English voices but hate the English music, you can keep the English voices and listen to the Japanese music instead. That's a nice treat, and I hardly ever watch DBZ with English music- regardless of what language they're speaking.

If you own the series already, then it's worth getting this DVD set for the marathon feature, in which you can watch all the episodes on a disc without having to keep listening to the opening and closing titles. And lastly, the DVD comes with some nice trailers too. Just in case you get fed up of watching men in spandex screaming at the top of their lungs. (I know I don't).

Really, if you liked the original releases, then you will like this. It's cheaper, the quality is better, it's English and Japanese friendly and there's no amount of blood or pummeling cut out. A great DVD box set that all fans have been waiting for. ^-^
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 12:07 PM BST

Techfocus Sony PSP Portable Storage Bag (Black)
Techfocus Sony PSP Portable Storage Bag (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy PSP carrier., 5 Sept. 2008
First of all, for a carry case that's supposed to hold a PSP only, this is quite big. Not only does my PSP fit- but so does my Nintendo DS lite, and 4 UMD holders! Not bad at all for £6.99- saves me buying a DS holder. If you don't own a DS lite- it is possible to put 2 normal PSP cases in there where my DS lite is.

The inside is seperated into two halves. The first is for your PSP- which is the larger side- and the second is for your games. There is also one extra pocket at the top on the inside with a zip which can hold 2 UMD cases- maybe 3 depending on how big your UMD cases are.

The strap you connect to the outside of the bag means you can carry it over your shoulder. If you find it too short you can lengthen the strap by quite a bit. There's a handle at the top for carrying as well.

The bag looks nice. It's got the PSP symbol on it, and it's black and compact. Obviously it's not offical and since it's a great price it's not leather and it's not perfect- but for what I paid (£6.99) and from what I received, it's very good quality.

The toughness of the carry case is good- not rock hard- but soft and cushion like. The hard protective rubber pads on the base I assume are for extra protection, but I won't presume to know how. I'm just happy I can carry my PSP and all the games I want around in a protective bag. And I'm thrilled it's big enough for my DS lite too!
Full marks for this one.
I'll update if it breaks a few months down the line- but it doesn't look like it will.

And Tango Makes Three
And Tango Makes Three
by Justin Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely emotional children's book., 5 Sept. 2008
This review is from: And Tango Makes Three (Paperback)
Finally there's a story for children to introduce them to different kinds of families in a cute and fun manner. Based on a true story- two remarkable male penguins become parents as they bring up a baby penguin after their mother passes away.
To the keeper's surprise, the two males make a happy home for the baby penguin.

Even though this is a children's book, it will help children mature and understand the normality of same sex couples and families. Not only will they have fun at story time, but they will learn not all families have a 'mommy and daddy'. Some have two mommies and some have two daddies.

Such an enchanting book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2013 12:36 PM BST

Xbox 360 Wired Controller (Xbox 360)
Xbox 360 Wired Controller (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy., 18 Aug. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This product is excellent for simple people like me who always forget to charge their batteries for their wireless controller. You just plug it into the USB of your 360 and it works like a wireless controller- only with a wire and no need to recharge.

The cord is also very long, so unless you want to play your game from the other side of your house, it doesn't impede gameplay. In fact, for people more used to wired controllers, it's better.

If you're having problems with your wireless controller- get this. It's the perfect substitute.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2010 7:56 PM BST

Inuyasha - Vol. 1: The First 12 Episodes [DVD]
Inuyasha - Vol. 1: The First 12 Episodes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rumiko Takahashi

2.0 out of 5 stars Defected product. Beware., 20 July 2007
Well yes, Inuyasha is wonderful, but I'm not sure about this particular DVD.

I've bought it 3 times now and have had to send it back each time due to DVD defect. On the second disc, none of the dialogue or sound matches up with the images. Therefore, you get character's mouths moving 3 seconds after speech is heard, you hear Sesshoumaru's whip crack 3 seconds before he actually cracks his whip. It's just awful to watch and continues through all the episodes 7-12.

So yes, for all the wonders of the story and characters and enjoyment this anime series brings, read another review on this page. But of this actual product? I'd be wary.

You *may* get a DVD set that's fine, but I don't think "3 products, same defect, same disc," is just a coinsidence. I think it's a product defect that is so with many other of these DVDs.

I was really disappointed too, after waiting so long for Inuyasha to come to the UK, but now I don't want to try and get this product again, because it's wasted enough of my time already. I'll just get the US versions and hope they work.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2010 4:31 PM GMT

QWAN Volume 4: v. 4
QWAN Volume 4: v. 4
by Aki Shimizu

5.0 out of 5 stars Quan is great for action, fun, laughs and STORY., 4 Jun. 2007
This review is from: QWAN Volume 4: v. 4 (Paperback)
Qwan is a lively upbeat yet mysterious young boy with amnesia. He travels with a cute/weird little creatue called 'Teikou'.

The story focuses on the scroll Qwan must find in order to find out who he is, why he has his powers, and what he has to do with them.

At first, you'll feel like you're reading Dragonball or Saiyuki (which isn't a bad thing really) but then you'll see it for what it is. Some things may be fondly farmiliar, but 'Qwan' is definitely a unique manga- a unique story, with unique characters.
It seems like Dragonball and Saiyuki because they are all based on the story of the Monkey King. ^___^

The artwork is absolutely AMAZING, and despite a bit of panel confusion sometimes, you're always desperate to find out what happens next.

The English translation is wonderful. I know sometimes in manga books translation leaves much to be desired, but in Qwan the translation has been great.

I hope you consider buying this book. I'm really enjoying it anyway.

Final Fantasy: Official Strategy Guide (Final Fantasy, 9)
Final Fantasy: Official Strategy Guide (Final Fantasy, 9)
by Dan Birlew

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic guide, and that's all., 4 Jun. 2007
I would first like to make one thing clear. This review is for the 'Piggyback' version of the FFIX game guide. I think there is also a guide made by 'Bradygames'. If you do happen to find that version I would definitely buy that one instead of the 'Piggyback' version. It can't be any worse, that's for sure. And here's why:

Usually I am loyal to 'Piggyback', their guides provide all the secrets of the game within the pages of the book you purchased- like where to get hard to find items and detailed maps on where to find secret villages and areas. But in the 'Piggyback' version of the guide, there were many disappointments.

The most important one being that much of the information you actually bought the guide for was not included. The guide simply gives you hundreds of passwords to use on the 'playonline.com' website- which is useless if you don't have constant internet access or just wanted them to be in the book. You then use these 'passwords' to gain access to the information on their website. It's pointless and makes me feel like I wasted my money on it. I could have gone online in the first place and found my information/tips from a gaming site for free.

Most of the information provided in the guide is what most gamers could actually accomplish/get on their own. There are detailed monster listings sure, and there are kind of cool character profiles- but what do we get guides for really? For the hard stuff. Also personally, I find that the 'tactical help' they give for boss battles is samey. Wow, you have to keep a healer in the party, watch character HP and use healing magic against undead monsters??? Really??? *sarcastic glare*

These are a couple of typical examples of how terrible this guide was-

1. I wanted to find Freya's best weapon and thought I had in the 'Holy Lance', but then the guide noted another weapon on the weapon list under her name. Not where to get it or how to make it. Just that it was there... somewhere.

2. I wanted to get another 'Pumice Piece' so I could make an awesome weapon for Steiner (Hades makes it)... so I checked in the guide and found that a creature called 'Ozma' had the Pumice piece- ad by the looks of it Ozma was a secret boss who resided in the AERIAL GARDEN. But with no maps I had no idea where that was.

I then checked online to find that once you could make choco fly by collecting all the chocographs and digging up in the right location, you could reach the garden by flying on a little shadow that looked like a black spot on the world surface. One that constantly moved.

But not only did the guide fail to tell me where to dig for the last couple of chocographs- but it also failed to tell me where to look for this little shadow.

Just a couple of examples out of the many to show you just how CRAP the 'Piggyback' guide is.

So if you 'DON'T' want to know where to dig to get all the chocograph treasures, if you 'DON'T' want helpful maps, if you 'DON'T' want to know any tips and secrets on where the best weapons and items are... then definitely 'DO' buy the Piggyback guide for Final Fantasy IX and 'DON'T' get everything you ever wanted. That is all.

D GRAY MAN GN VOL 01 (CURR PTG) (C: 1-0-0)
D GRAY MAN GN VOL 01 (CURR PTG) (C: 1-0-0)
by Katsura Hoshino

5.0 out of 5 stars D-Gray Man, 29 May 2007
I bought this manga because it was recommended by a friend, and I'm really glad I did.

For ages I haven't really been interested in any manga I've seen because to me it's all looked and sounded like something I've already read. But D-Gray Man has lifted me from this manga rut and it's been a really good read. The storyline and characters are developed well and the art is a refreshing mix of beautiful, funny and macabre. I recommend this for the true horror/adventure fan- and ANY manga fan.

I only wish I wasn't so quick at reading manga... because now I have to wait for all the future volumes to come out. They're also sold for a fantastic price on this site and you'd do best to buy them in a bunch or perhaps one with another lot of items to take advantage of the price.