Profile for Nash > Reviews

Content by Nash

Nash (London, UK)

TeckNet® Wireless Digital Doorbell (Battery Operated)
TeckNet® Wireless Digital Doorbell (Battery Operated)
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, but image is not accurate, 22 May 2014
I have had this for over 4 months now so I think this is a good 'burn in' time to be able to form a solid review of this useful doorbell.

I have the button and ringer a good 15-20 meters apart in a straight line going upstairs through solid brick and it works just fine. The bell is mains powered and the ringer uses a battery. The battery is doing fine 4 months in. Last Friday my enthusiastic pizza delivery guy gave it a good test with several presses to make sure... I'll be sure to order Indian instead next time.

The button braved The Great Storm of January like a champ, shrugging off a harsh combination of strong winds, rain and angry pizza guys like it was a flea in a Kanye West concert.

The ringer is nice and loud, but not piercing nor fright inducing. Just a nice normal 'ding dong, ding dong' noise. This is a very good thing because I have an easily frightened cat who likes to sleep on my lap. Trust me when I say, you don't want to scare a cat sleeping on your lap... There be delicate things there...

A couple of things to note though...
1) You can't configure anything. The sounds an volume are fixed. If you don't like a standard 'ding-dong, ding dong' then you've come to the wrong place.
2) The image currently on the site is not the same doorbell. THIS is what you're getting: TeckNet® Wireless Mains Plug-In Doorbell Door Chime
3) It can't block multiple presses from impatient pizza delivery men (nor can it call them names on your behalf).

I don't really consider the above 3 points as bad things (except the last one) because that is essentially what I expected from this. This is a nice basic doorbell that does what it's supposed to do reliably and I recommend it.

Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Black (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Black (Retail Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect no frills keyboard, 31 Jan 2014
I have had this as my work keyboard for the past 2 years and I can say with confidence that it is the most comfortable keyboard I have ever had.

The keys have a nice solid feel to them and their sensitivity is very well balanced. They are soft to the touch and barely make any noise. I use it with Windows 7 and naturally it works straight away without needing any special drivers or setup.

You won't find any cool extras like backlit keys, macros, chicklet buttons and the like. I personally don't need any of that for use in a well lit office so for my needs this is perfect.

Acer Aspire XC-105 SFF Desktop PC (AMD A4 5000 1.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fiat Punto of PCs, 25 Nov 2013
This PC is the Fiat Punto of computing. Inexpensive, small, quiet, energy efficient and will get you from A to B. Here is a summary of the most important specs:

Processor: At the core of this is an AMD A4-5000 APU. This processor is by no means a speed demon, and why would anyone expect it to be at this price point? It's actually an ultrabook processor designed to be energy efficient and enough for basic usage. Most people use their PC's for web and general productivity so this is actually adequate. You won't have any problems running Chrome, Spotify, Outlook and Word on this. Fun fact: This is the same line of processors used by the new PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Graphics: This has an integrated Radeon HD 8330. Performance wise, this is similar to Intel's Ivy Bridge HD 4000. This will easily handle HD movies including YouTube videos at full quality 1080p as well as some light gaming. It won't run Crysis 3, but you'll easily get plenty of mileage from less demanding games.

Memory: The 4GB RAM you get is going to be enough for 90% of people. Unless if you have a lot of programs running with multiple tabs open at the same time (in which case, I suggest you seriously consider if you need to use a PC that way) then you won't max out the memory in the near future. 8GB is the "comfortable" amount for most though and upgrades are fairly inexpensive on sites like Crucial.

Form factor: This thing is slim and light. It takes up very little space. A prime candidate for a bedroom, small office or HTPC under your telly kind of setup that's easy to move around. The workmanship is pretty good with a clean lines and nice little extras like the card reader and front facing USB ports. Nothing special but good to have.

All in all, this is a charming little machine that will handle the basics without breaking the bank, making a dent in your electricity bill or using much leg space under the desk. I use this mostly as an HTPC and it works perfectly for my needs. If I could change anything, I would go for the slightly faster Pentium G2020 or core i5 just for future-proofing, but I really don't see myself needing the extra oomph for the next 3 years or so. At this price point I highly recommend it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 3:22 PM BST

Sony MDRXB700 Giant Extra Bass Headphones with Extra Large 50mm Driver Unit
Sony MDRXB700 Giant Extra Bass Headphones with Extra Large 50mm Driver Unit

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic headphones!, 26 Aug 2011
I've had these headphones just over a year now and still love them!
I'm not exactly an audiophile but I am rather particular about the headphones and earphones I attach to my ears. I have varied tastes in music but I usually stick to classical, rock, r&b, pop and dance depending on my mood and environment. I also watch a lot of TV and movies with headphones.
I generally stick to Sennheiser and Shure because their `phones are consistently high quality in build and audio quality. Many of the mid to low-end Sony `phones I've had were too bass heavy and detail light making them great for gym but not much else. Having said that, I thought I'd give Sony another chance based on a friend's recommendation and these are my thoughts:

The first thing you notice about the XB700s is the size. These cans are massive! The band is a thick metal and the earpiece has thick soft padding. The padding is in fact VERY soft and comfortable. Ideal for me as I wear glasses and open headphones usually press on them and become uncomfortable after a while. The softness also does a good job dispersing the weight of the headphones as they are a little on the heavy side.

When I first listened to them I was less than impressed. They sounded muffled and bland. These headphones need to be `burned in' first so I connected them to my mp3 player overnight playing a mixture of music genres on medium volume. I tried them again the next day and WOW! They sound amazing. The bass is strong, but not overpowering and the detail in the audio is also very much there. I can pick out individual instruments in most of the tracks I play and they work well with all my main genres. I noticed that they sound a lot better when used without any equalisers and minimum audio enhancements. These headphones simply don't need them.

My main criticisms for these would be that they are heavy, the cord is short and they leak sound.
The weight really does factor in when you've been wearing them for an extended period of time. I didn't have much of an issue with this but I did note that my partner complained about neck strain after using them for some hours. I partially blame her rather bad sitting posture but there's no denying that the headphones only amplified the problem.
The cable is also quite short so if you plan on using these with your hi-fi make sure to get an extension cable (a high quality one or you'll lose audio quality).
The sound leakage on these is really quite bad. At medium volume, my partner could not only hear my music, but she could make out the vocals and instruments. This combined with the weight and stunted cord makes the XB700 bad for travelling and any environment where you need to be discreet about your volume.

Overall, these headphones offer brilliant audio quality and comfort to rival more expensive alternatives. Just beware that they are quite big and leak sound so only get these if you intend to use them indoors and aren't worried about disturbing anyone near you.

Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger
Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger
Offered by Zolzoom LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality used charger, 25 Aug 2011
I ordered two of these a few months ago for my blackberry 8900 and girlfriend's Galaxy Ace and they work just fine. They are second-hand genuine Samsung chargers and come cheaper than the usually lower quality and more expensive non-branded ones.
I highly recommend these

Emprex 3009ARF Wireless MCE Remote Control-ARF
Emprex 3009ARF Wireless MCE Remote Control-ARF
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK choice for OpenELEC XBMC Live, 8 July 2011
I got this to work with My HTPC setup. I have an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 running OpenELEC XBMC Live. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this remote worked straight out the box. All the main basic features are covered so very little tweaking was needed to get it working exactly the say I want.

The buttons are nicely laid out and only took a little while to get used to so I don't need to keep looking at the remote to use it (Important if you like watching movies with the lights off).
The Response rate is pretty fast with the occasional small lag. I'm not sure if that is the remote or software at fault but it's not really a big enough issue to cause concern.

My only criticism is the USB receiver doesn't have an extension cable. If you plan to keep your PC/HTPC out of sight then I recommend you get one of those for about £3 so the receiver still has a line of sight.

My girlfriend definitely prefers using this remote to watch her TV shows than the full-size wireless keyboard we had set up initially!

Update: After having this remote for a couple of months it still works, but the intermittent lag between pressing and response has gotten worse. Sometimes I will press something and it takes a whole 5 seconds for there to be a response. Pressing the button repeatedly only queues up the presses which then all display at once. I thought this might have been a fault with my PC and tried on my Dell Vostro 3550 and got the same issue. This has gotten a little irritating so I have knocked a star off the review. It's still an OK remote but there's more responsive ones out there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2013 12:26 PM BST

Kingston Generation 2 Micro SD Reader
Kingston Generation 2 Micro SD Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly small, 30 Mar 2011
The first thing I noticed about this is the size. It's incredibly small yet it can hold my 16GB micro SD card with transfer speeds at the same level as a good USB stick.
The Micro SD holds in place well and takes little to no space attached to my keys. Very well priced as well.

LG BD565 Blu-Ray DVD Player
LG BD565 Blu-Ray DVD Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price, 29 Mar 2011
I have had this blu-ray player for a few weeks now and I'm mostly impressed with it.
I got it to take over iPlayer and blu-ray playing from my PS3, and to see if it's up to the task of completely replacing my WD TV media streamer.

On the plus side, it has done just that and more. It's silent and fairly quick for a blu-ray player, recognises my NTFS hard drive and plays most of the videos, pictures and music without any issues. To make this review a little easier to digest, I've broken it up to the sections that matter most to me.

General build quality
The BD565 has a generic but sleek look to it. You definitely won't confuse it for a mini alien plane and you won't feel the need to hide it away in disgust either. On the front is a slot-loading drive basic media control buttons and a standard digital screen. These are hidden behind flaps to keep everything tidy.
Around the back are all the expected connections. HDMI, component, 2 channel audio, digital out and Ethernet.

One really silly move by LG is giving only one USB connection then sticking it right on the front of the player behind the flap. For my setup, I have an external USB drive permanently connected to it so it dangles out the front with the flap permanently open. This completely breaks the sleek look.

Start-up takes about 10 seconds, which is perfectly fine for me. One very annoying thing I must mention is that at the time of writing this, the BD565 cannot be found on the LG website. Only its older sibling the BD560 (identical only without iPlayer). Because of this, you cannot download firmware updates and update via USB. You have to connect the player to the server which is horrifyingly slow. It took 2 hours to download a 60MB file and install it on my 20Mbps internet connection.

Blu-ray / DVD playback
Disc playback on this is exactly as you would expect from a blu-ray player. Blu-rays take a while to load but not long enough to make anyone impatient. My Avatar bu-ray took about 15 seconds to load, but after that it was smooth sailing.

DVDs upscale nicely and the player will automatically obtain media info with screenshot, synopsis and list of cast if you're connected to the internet. That was an unexpected but nice feature

Video playback
I use a powered NTFS hard drive and most of my video files are in MKV, MP4 and AVI (divx and xvid). Navigating the menu is a bit sluggish and not very intuitive. For example, to do up a folder you must keep pressing up on the d-pad until it's off-screen. The back/return key takes you right back to the main menu. Silly design choice in my opinion but I quickly got used to it.
The playback quality is outstanding. HD videos are sharp and detailed and audio is reproduced well. You can fast-forward, rewind and jump to parts of a video with ease. Also you can switch audio streams and subtitles.

My only gripes are that with MKV files, this player does not support header compression (yet?) and it doesn't do a good job of remembering where you left off in videos to continue from where you left off. It has a `marker' feature but it loses all your bookmarks when you switch off the player. This defeats the whole point. Also, the first subtitle stream is always displayed by default and there is no way to change this. You will need to switch it off or to the correct language every time you load a video.

Music playback
Playing MP3s from the drive and music CDs works a treat. The player has a clean interface and the music info can be obtained online including album artwork. No complaints here.

Picture viewer
The BD565 can view JPEG files and has a slideshow feature. While it works just fine, it's VERY slow. I have a lot of pictures and they are about 1-3MB each. When browsing, the player will not allow you to do anything until it finishes loading every single thumbnail and that can take a while on each page. When viewing images, there is a 3 second load delay when switching between images. This is painstakingly slow when trying to flick through pictures. My advice is not to bother with this feature. Use your PC or PS3 for slideshows.

Streaming content
You don't get a lot of choice with the LG Netcast feature... BBC iPlayer, Youtube, Picasa and Accu Weather. I got this player for the iPlayer and while browsing the menus is sluggish, the actual streaming is beautiful. You even get the option to play the HD version of videos when available. Youtube works very well too but will only play in SD. I found Picasa and Accu Weather pointless though and would have preferred to replace them with 4OD and ITV player. iPlayer and Youtube work great though so I'm still very happy.

Remote and Simplink
The remote control is quite well made. It's slim and long, plus the media playback buttons are raised so you can control your content without the need to look at the remote. Very well designed.
If you have an LG TV then you can enjoy the Simplink feature which lets you control your TV's basic functions with the remote. You can control the volume, channel, AV mode and even turn the telly on and off. Also, whenever you switch the blu-ray player on, it will switch the AV mode to the player. Simple but nice feature.

Conclusion
Overall, this is a very good blu-ray and media player for the price. It has a few questionable design choices but nothing is actually broken or missing. There are some features that would have improved the player such as DLNA and faster menu browsing, but both would require hardware updates resulting in higher price.
At this price point, this player is fantastic and should easily be more than capable for 90% of people

1.5m 3.5mm Stereo Jack Audio Extension Cable ~ Superior Quality ~ Analogue ~ Jack to Socket (M-F) ~ 24k Gold Plated ~ Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) ~ Shielded ~ Stylish
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 24 April 2010
I bought this headphone extension lead to comfortably connect my headphones to the back my PC.
Good length, audio quality doesn't degrade and the connections aren't too loose or tight. Can't say better than that