Profile for Mr. C. Knights > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. Knights

Mr. C. Knights "Knightsy77" (Woking, UK)

Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfie Boe
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars not as gd as it SHOULD have been!, 18 Nov 2011
First off, u have seen Les Miserables live and its the first "Modern" musical I really got into, thanks to the 10th anniversary concert performed at the Albert Hall in 1995. Unfortunately, this production pales in comparison. Don't get me wrong, some performers are out standing but on the whole, I don't think the producers got this one right. Too many pop stars and unknowns. Original cast members reduced to cameos when they probably could've had principal roles. The O2 (a venue I go to regularly and adore) too large. This should've been a proper staging rather than a concert. It would've had more impact I think. I still wish id actually been there though! Luckily I got to see both Alfie Boe and Matt Lucas in the london production earlier this year and they both owned the performance. If only Ramin Karimloo hadn't been doing Love Never Dies! as much as I like Les Mis, ill still go back to the Albert Hall 10th Anniversary Concert (Colm Wilkinson, Phillip Quast, Ruthie Henshall, micheal Ball, Lea Salonga what more could u want?). Mr Mackintosh, take a lesson from the 25th Anniversary of Phantom of the Opera - actually perform it in a smaller venue with a proper musical theatre cast!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2012 2:40 PM GMT

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ramin Karimloo
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish i'd been there, 18 Nov 2011
First off, I have NEVER seen Phantom live however I adore the original cast recording so when I found out about this release I pre-ordered straight away. There's probably not much I can say that hasn't already been said. Awesome! A fantastic production, a fabulous ensemble piece. Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggins and the other principals are all excellent - genuine musical theatre performers! Cogratulations to EVERYONE involved. Andrew Lloyd Webbers speech at the end I felt was 100% geniune. Dare I say it? Far superior to the Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert!

Jekyll & Hyde: HIGHLIGHTS FROM
Jekyll & Hyde: HIGHLIGHTS FROM
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars The shape of things to come, 11 Jun 2008
This is the original concept recording of Jekyll & Hyde by Frank Wildhorn & Leslie Bricusse featuring Colm Wilkinson and Linda Eder. When I came across this recording i was filled with geniune excitment as J & H is one of my favourite musicals of all time. The chance to hear Colm Wilkinson perform some of the best show songs was too good an opportunity to miss out so i gladly spent my money. Unfortunately i can't help but feel i little dissappointed. Don't get me wrong Colm Wilkinson is an outstanding performer and i admire his voice but for me it just isn't suited to this particular role, I felt like i was listening to the Bee Gees. There is also very little of the "Hyde" (had "Alive" not been written at this stage of development?). As for Linda Eder, her appearrance on three different recordings speaks for itself and it was a real treat to hear her intepretation of Lisa Carew as well as the chance to hear some of the rarer songs. As previously mentioned, i adore J & H hence the 4 star rating but I'm not sure i really like this recording. Overall this is a great insight into what was to become a masterpiece and I also feel it is a worthy introduction into the world of J & H for newcomers, however the definative version (although slighty different to the final Broadway production) is "The Complete Works".

Live Shit: Binge and Purge [2002 Reissue] [3CDs + 2 Region 1 DVDs]
Live Shit: Binge and Purge [2002 Reissue] [3CDs + 2 Region 1 DVDs]

5.0 out of 5 stars Live but definately not S**t, 14 April 2003
Although i dont actually have the DVD version of this, i do own the VHS edition so my opinions are largely based on that but i assume that both formats are the same. If you are a die hard 'tallica fan then this is a must (if you dont already own it) and its well worth the price tag. my only gripe with this is the editing on the first couple of songs of the San Diego show: to much vision mixing and cross fading which i feel spoils the whole effect of the "live visuals" during Sandman and Creeping Death. however, that is very quickly forgotten. still reading this? stop and buy!

Live [CD + DVD NTSC]
Live [CD + DVD NTSC]
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars What an introduction, 14 April 2003
This review is from: Live [CD + DVD NTSC] (Audio CD)
Although I had heard of Ben Folds (Five) i had never actually listened to any of his material. Why did it take me so long? a friend of mine played this album to me back in Feburary of this year and i instantly fell in love with it and got it myself. i really dont want to say too much (i like to let the music do the talking) but i dont think there's a bad song on the album. if only "song for the dumped" (featured on the DVD) was on the actual c.d. and i especially like his version of "Tiny Dancer" (that ones for you Laura Cull) by Elton John. Ben Folds is a genius. get it in you collection: you wont regret it