Profile for Larry > Reviews

Larry (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bit of kit with two small design flaws, 17 April 2011
Just got this for my 9700 and I am absolutely delighted with it, you simply replace the existing back with the powermat one it's very similar in looks and build quality to the original blackberry back, there is hardly any noticeable difference in size or weight to the phone which was a concern for me at first and the phone still fits in my blackberry pouch which is nice.

The second part of the kit is the mat this plugs into the mains, when you put the phone near the top of the mat you feel a slight pull from the built in magnets this gives you a nice reference point so you don't have to fumble around and it makes a little noise when you place the phone on it. I also love that when the phone is charged the mat detects this and does not give anymore power until it needs it.

Quality bit of kit and being able to add more backs to other gadgets but use the same mat is amazing the only things I'd like are the mat could do with being a bit heavier as sometimes when you take your phone off it also lifts the mat and I would like to be able to turn off the lights that are always on when it's charging other than that I love it.

Director's Commentary [DVD] [2004]
Director's Commentary [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Rob Brydon

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply hilarious, 7 April 2011
Rob Brydon in Directors Commentary is my comedy genius, one line in particular still tickles me to this day. In it's most basic form it's a pastiche of a directors commentary he harks back to the old days in an innocent way or will say something about the camera angle but then out of nowhere throws in these hilarious insights into his mind or talk about the crew or actors in an often dark & very quirky way which makes them really funny it's one of my all time favourite DVDs.

Canon 10x42L IS WP Binoculars
Canon 10x42L IS WP Binoculars

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning to look through, 4 May 2010
I was lucky enough to borrow a pair of these from a friend, from the first moment I looked through them I knew they where special, the image is so bright and crystal clear it's difficult to describe without actually experiencing it for yourself, just looking at a meadow in summer is mesmerising at fist glance with the naked eye it looks like there is no wildlife but through these & with the IS on it's like the world slows down, I noticed hundreds of insects that I couldn't see before, and I know it sounds silly but just to look at insects in a meadow is compelling.

I use them also for stargazing which again with the IS enabled they excel at, the binoculars look and feel very tough and are lovely to hold, the strap you get is really nice quality too. They use the same optics used in top of the range Canon L series camera lenses, it's a bit overkill for a pair of binoculars but is of course reflected in the price.

Razer Deathadder For The Mac Gaming Mouse
Razer Deathadder For The Mac Gaming Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit pricey but it's worth it, 19 Dec. 2009
The mouse feels comfortable to use, it is quite big so those with small hands may find it too big, underneath are 3 protrusions that lift the mouse a few mm off the mouse mat, this gives it a nice smooth gliding feel.

The scroll wheel has a nice tactile feel to it and scrolling is also smooth, The scroll wheel lights up which is a cool feature to have purely for aesthetic reasons.

I did not install the driver on my mac just plugged it in, the scroll wheel button is assigned to dashboard and the side button expose, but I never use the extra buttons.

Overall very impressed with the build quality, definitely a keeper.

A tip I've learned to reduce the pain caused by RSI is to use a different mouse every few months, I own 3 mice an apple mighty mouse a Microsoft Intellmouse and this one I just alternate between them.

Bang! The Complete History of the Universe
Bang! The Complete History of the Universe
by Brian May

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reading, 18 Sept. 2008
As soon as I saw this book and read the reviews I had to buy it, On receiving the book you can tell immediately a lot of hard work and thought has gone into it, the book itself is beautifully put together the front cover has a striking hologram on the front, it's a well executed graphical representation of the Big Bang and is a really nice bonus.

I liked how the book puts forward fairly complicated astronomy and science in an easy and enjoyable way, without the feeling you're being spoken down to.

The book is ideal for a younger audience too as it's layout is striking while at the same time being useful and intuitive, there seems to be a very good reason for everything in this book. The science, the layout, the graphics and the stunning illustrations are all top class.

Snakebyte Premium Component Cable (Nintendo Wii/Wii U)
Snakebyte Premium Component Cable (Nintendo Wii/Wii U)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a wii and an HDTV you need this, 26 Mar. 2008
I recently purchased an HD TV using this cable the picture quality increase has to be seen to be appreciated, everything is so much sharper compared to using a scart lead, my TV is only 20" but I noticed I don't have to sit as close to the TV now due to the increased sharpness, a top quality product.

The Prisoner: Volumes 1-5 [DVD] [1967]
The Prisoner: Volumes 1-5 [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Patrick McGoohan
Offered by BAZZMEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Way ahead of it's time, 16 Feb. 2008
There's not much to say about 'The Prisoner' that hasn't already been said, but as it made such a huge impression on me, I'm compelled to give my thoughts.

The first thing that struck me about 'The Prisoner' was it's similarity to 'Lost' and other shows of that ilk that are so popular right now, these shows get you thinking "what's really going on" and often leave you guessing, it's not all laid out, you need to fill in a few gaps yourself so it becomes in a strange way an interactive experience. I find myself thinking deeply about the episode I just watched for days after.

Watching every episode is pure escapism from the classic opening titles to the end credits. I really felt how it was to be a prisoner in this strange place the feeling of claustrophobia are conveyed beautifully, Patrick McGoohan is stunning in this, the intensity of his performance is compelling and combined with the stunning cinematography and often surreal soundtrack make this a classic, must see series.

Media Storage M80 - Digital AV player - HD 80 GB - 3.7"
Media Storage M80 - Digital AV player - HD 80 GB - 3.7"

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect companion to a digital camera, 3 Feb. 2008
The canon media storage device is a convenient way to playback and store images and video, transferring images from memory card is very easy, all that's required is to insert the memory stick into the CF or SD card slot, pressing the large backup button on the top, then all your images are stored on the M80's hard drive.

For long trips this is a perfect companion to a digital camera as a way to keep a backup of those valuable photos and also to show your photos to others, this is where the unit really stands out for me the screen is absolutely stunning, from any angle images looks bright and clear even in bright daylight.

I've read in other reviews of the M80 the speed of transfer from memory card to hard drive is slow, I didn't find this to be a problem, it's a few seconds slower than transferring images form my USB 2.0 card reader to PC, but I can't imagine any situations waiting a few seconds longer for image transfer could be an issue.

I've also read in another review that viewing images is slow, I did not find this to be the case.

I suspect the main customer base for the M80 will be existing owners of Canon cameras as the M80 uses the same BP-511A battery found in a lot of canon cameras. However I would also reccomend the M80 to non canon users as the quaity of the screen is so good.

I fear users may overlook the Canon M80 as reviews I've read have been mixed but for me it's one of the most useful and well built photographic accessories i've received this year.

There are less expensive devices on the market that will do the same and more, but for me it's the quality of the M80's screen that makes this so special.

Sony KDL20S3020 - 20'' Widescreen Bravia HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview -Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad I bought this TV, 31 Dec. 2007
This TV has everything I need and will do for a good few years, seeing as it's HD ready and has the all important HDMI socket, the 20" size is just right for my medium sized living room. The picture quality is excellent, blacks are black no nasty pixelation, no ghosting. Watching a bluray film using my my PS3 was simply stunning and even on normal non HD broadcasts this TV shines, above all my previous TV's. It was really easy to setup, I like the intuitive menu system and the fact it comes with a strap so you can secure the TV to a stand to stop it from toppling over, a nice touch I thought, another top quality product from sony, and top service from amazon.

Canon SELPHY ES1 Compact Photo Printer
Canon SELPHY ES1 Compact Photo Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, easy to use, good price., 17 May 2007
I have been happy with the print quality of my previous inkjet printer, however the short time it takes before the prints start to fade is my opinion a bit useless, i'd heard you can buy special long lasting ink & paper for inkjet printers, but it's hard to come by & to be honest I couldn't be bothered to change the cartridges each time I wanted to print a photo, so I bought this ES1. It prints using dye sublmation, a different technology to the standard inkjet printer most people have at home, basically dye sublimation doesn't use dots to make the image, but layers of colour, this means prints are so much sharper, have better colour rendition. Looked at side by side with a photo from the ES1 & my inkjet printer the difference is striking. Also important to me the prints don't fade after a few months'. I chose this printer because I recently bought a canon camera & I really like it & also because the printer looks cool. This will not replace my inkjet printer, I'll just use that for letters or graphics & when I need to print to A4 size, but as a dedicated postcard size photo printer the ES1 is a really nice little unit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3