ARRAY(0xab46cf84)

Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "John in Gateshead" (Tyne and Wear, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Solwise 500Mbps Homeplug Adapters Twin Pack with Smart Link - Best for Noisy Wiring
Offered by UKStocked
Price: 183.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not live up to my expectations, 9 Nov 2013
I bought a pair of these to replace much cheaper TP-Link adaptors that gave nice fast speeds with BT Infinity, but kept cutting out - that is, the remote adaptor would lose its connection to the router, despite the lights indicating that all was well. Sadly, for the past few days the Solwise adaptors have behaved exactly the same, despite the description "best for noisy wiring" - they give a fast, but unreliable connection.

This problem has me baffled. I live in a modern house *without* noticeably noisy wiring (i.e. no flashing lights, blown fuses or computer crashes) and devices connected wirelessly are fine. Both the router Homeplug and the remote one are plugged directly into mains sockets with no other devices attached. The Solwise adaptors showed a full strength signal (all green lights on both adaptors) but would lose the connection between the router and the remote PC at random intervals, at least once each evening. I know it's not the router at fault because I tried swapping this while using the TP-Link devices and saw the same behaviour. The 500MB adaptors are replacements for Netgear ones that never cut out when used in exactly the same environment, but ran both hot and slow.

Sadly, I will need to return these for a refund. I would need another pair to run a printer and a networked (non-wireless) TV and - unlike the TP-Links - they are just too expensive for devices that don't work reliably.

The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner
The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner
by Richard Marson

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well researched and revealing, 7 Sep 2013
There's not much I can say about this fascinating biography that hasn't already been said in lots of other reviews. It's a book for DOCTOR WHO fans, but it's not about DOCTOR WHO.

Whether you loved, hated or were indifferent to John Nathan Turner's long tenure as producer of the programme - and few people fell into the last category - there will be something here to interest you. Inevitably, newspapers seized on the "sex scandal" aspects of the book, but I put these in inverted commas as there really wasn't any scandal. Having said that, people who knew nothing about JNT may raise an eyebrow at some things in the book. Those who had heard rumours will find the clarification and debunking of many stories both revealing and highly readable.

The book doesn't seek either to lionise or demonise JNT, but presents a fair, well balanced and thoroughly researched account of what, in the end, was a tragic life.

Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff: The Expanded Story of a Haunting Collaboration, with a Complete Filmography of Their Films Together
Price: 30.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but pricy, 19 April 2013
A very thorough and interesting analysis of the careers of the two contemporary horror stars. I enjoyed this but had to pay a lot for it, even as a Kindle edition.

Panasonic DMR-BWT720EB Freeview+HD Blu-Ray Disc Recorder, with 1Tb HDD & Twin HD Terrestrial Tuner

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine, 19 April 2013
The 720EB seems to me a good product all round. Picture quality on Freeview HD is excellent (and glitch free given a good signal) and it can write DVDs and Blu-rays very quickly if you follow the right procedure. My only qualification to this statement is that the best way to write discs is far from clear, and the instructions could do with much more detail. In short, if you want off-air recordings to copy to disc quickly, you need to convert them from the default DR mode. This takes a while but can be done by the machine while in standby. For more details, don't bother with the manual but look at the more detailed reviews on Amazon and AVForums,

ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip Ice Grips / Ice Cleats (M) UK 5.5-8 EU 39-42
ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip Ice Grips / Ice Cleats (M) UK 5.5-8 EU 39-42
Offered by ICEGRIPPER
Price: 39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 April 2013
I found these a little awkward to put on, and you should never try to wear them on tiled floors (you may well skate!) but, overall, they do a good job of providing traction on icy surfaces and are acceptable on dry pavements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2013 12:42 PM BST

Edimax BR-6428NS 300Mbps 2T2R Wi-Fi Cable iQ Router
Edimax BR-6428NS 300Mbps 2T2R Wi-Fi Cable iQ Router
Offered by HometownTV UK
Price: 19.42

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but..., 19 April 2013
I bought this as a possible replacement for a BT Home Hub. I suppose, at the price, I shouldn't have expected much. The product is reasonable value, but not one that I could recommend unless you are really short of cash.

Problems? Firstly, the user interface is awful. It's not immediately obvious how to do anything with this router. Almost every operation seems to involve digging into the menus and hunting around. What is worse, practically every configuration change seems to involve a restart, and having to wait around 30 seconds for the connection to restart. Other routers (Netgear and BT to name just two) manage to allow setup changes without having to do this, so why not the Edimax? Secondly, despite the prominent antennae (which I have extended as in the illustration) the wireless signal appears much weaker than with the Home Hub. For this reason, the Edimax has gone into storage and I'm back to using the BT router. This router seems to do quite well on facilities (you can block selected sites but it doesn't allow timed disabling of wireless like the BT) but, overall, is not a user-friendly product.

TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Price: 25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as they appear, 19 April 2013
After my first couple of days using these, I was ready to give them a 5 star review. They gave much faster speeds than our old Netgear adaptors, ran cooler and were much cheaper. Too good to be true? Unfortunately, yes. I then noticed them dropping the connection to the router, sometimes several times during an evening. I live in a modern property with a good, stable power supply - no noticeable flickers or glitches. I bought and tried a different router for a couple of weeks, but the result was the same: fast connection speeds but frequent loss of connection. I contacted TPLink tech support to ask if there was a firmware update; there wasn't. So - good value, but frustratingly unreliable.

Philips HQ110 Shaving Head Cleaning Spray
Philips HQ110 Shaving Head Cleaning Spray
Offered by My Beauty And Care
Price: 11.52

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work as I expect, 30 Sep 2012
I followed the instructions with this product as far as possible. However, with my Philips shaver it is not possible to detach the head fully without the risk of breaking it. I don't feel I used an excessive amount of the cleaner but I found that, after several minutes, the fluid had not dried. I had to try to dry the shaver with a tissue and brush. It was impossible to get into all the crevices and, half an hour later, it is still not properly dry. To me, this defeats the object of this kind of product and it seems, bizarrely, that Philips is selling a product that could damage its own shavers.

I don't think I will use this again. I will have to spend more money on a conventional alcohol-based cleaning spray of the kind I had for my old shaver, and which dried in seconds.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2013 7:51 AM BST

Inception (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010][Region Free]
Inception (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010][Region Free]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Offered by MediaMine
Price: 6.49

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 21 May 2011
"Interesting" dynamic range for this film on Blu-ray. To hear the dialogue, I had to turn up the volume so loud that the frequent explosions and loud noises were loud enough for the street outside to shake. Appropriate for a film that seems to set out to be huge and flashy, yet "intellectual". In no way comfortable or entertaining to watch, this is the kind of film that would put people off Blu-ray, because the dynamic range on its soundtrack is not viable in most domestic environments, or for anyone with less than perfect hearing.

Pretentious is the word I'd use to describe the film. The frantic action of the first half hour was so irritating that I found I just didn't want to pay attention to the rest of it. I couldn't care less about the Leonardo di Caprio character, and there was no empathy with any other characters, with some good actors like Tom Hardy simply wasted. However brilliant the photography and effects, a good film needs so much more, such as a story that makes sense without having to watch it three times. As several reviewers have pointed out, the plot didn't even seem to follow its own internal logic. Thankfully, I borrowed this from the library rather than buying it. One to avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2012 12:19 PM GMT

Hattie: The Authorised Biography of Hattie Jacques
Hattie: The Authorised Biography of Hattie Jacques
by Andy Merriman
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't get to the heart of its subject, 23 Jan 2011
As one or two other reviewers have hinted, this is a competent rundown of Miss Jacques' life, but the author never really gets inside his subject, or offers us much insight into what she was really like. We hear that she got on well with everyone in the business (except Norman Wisdom) and that she was a very warm and helpful woman, but we never quite get to understand her. A lot of the book is very much "Hattie did this and enjoyed it a lot, and then Hattie did that and didn't have so much fun". It's well researched in that Mr Merriman seems to provide a comprehensive list of Hattie Jacques' stage and screen credits, and it was nice to see a mention of the stage show she did with Eric Sykes in Torquay in 1976 that I remember seeing.

However, the selection of photos (in the hardback edition at least) is poor - mainly publicity shots, and very few of her friends or family. Surely Merriman could have tracked down photos of Hattie's lover John Schofield and her long term friend Bruce Copp? There's also the central question of Ms Jacques' treatment of her husband when she took a lover in the 1960s. As in the recent TV play, we're told what happened, but given no insight into WHY. If she really loved Le Mesurier as we're told, it remains baffling that she treated him (and, by extension, her children) in this way.

At only 240 pages, the book is finally rather insubstantial and unsatisfying.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 1:16 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3