Profile for Mr. Kerry J. Trubee > Reviews

Content by Mr. Kerry J. T...

Mr. Kerry J. Trubee (Purley, UK)

Winstanley [DVD] [1975]
Winstanley [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ Miles Halliwell

4.0 out of 5 stars good could have been brilliant, 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: Winstanley [DVD] [1975] (DVD)
I have been interested in left wing activism most of my life with particular interest in the new Model Army and its politics. I purchased Winstanley on the basis of several reviews and a desire to know more of the man.
I enjoyed the film very much, Entertaining and worthy but what a shame films on this type of subject has to be low budget.
The use of Black and white must be down to cost, it cannot be realism, as far as I know, people in the 17th century saw in colour as we do, so why does b&W offer realism? I thought Miles Halliwell was very good, but from what I've read he wasn't quite the softly spoken mild mannered man portrayed here. He was apparantly given to visions and trances and had the usual sect leaders hold over many of his adherents. Nothing of his intense religiosity comes through in this film.
I think Brownlow and Mollo were more interested in the proto communism of Winstanley rather than his Christianity. probably only to be expected from rather upper middle class "class warriors" of the seventies I'm afraid.
The most ridiculous part of the film was the introduction of the "Ranters" If they wanted authenticity, why include them? they were never any ranters with Winstanley. This sub plot seems merely to be a ploy to allow some latent hippy benefit scrounger to be in the film, perhaps appealing to the posturing ninnies that permeated left wing circles in those days. More than a worthy film, but flawed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 10:55 AM GMT

Regeneration [1997] [DVD]
Regeneration [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Pryce

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Regeneration [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I had read Barkers first part of the trilogy when I saw this film the first time. i was astonished how good it was. i have watched it several times since and it throws up more each time. I think the writing and editing are first class but then Barker wrote this herself so it is not surprising. In the narrative we see several complex issues aired. attitudes to sexual orientation, class, pioneering clinicians, and those from the dark ages!! Yet the overwhelming horror of the war is never far away and is of course central to the plot. I wasn't overly enamoured of James Wilbey's performance, OK but not totally convincing. Jonathan Pryce on the other hand was simply awesome. I found his portrayal of Rivers totally convincing, especially his understated but never the less acknowledging of the Homosexual attraction between Sassoon and his own self, more subtle and less hero worshipping than Owen with Sassoon. The worst part was the opening shot of the battleground, it didn't look real and we didn't need it to set the scene. However, to balance that we have the end shot of Rivers reading the Owen poem (parable of the old man) and a tear slips down his face, it makes me cry every time I watch.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2011 10:22 AM BST

Passchendaele [DVD] [2008]
Passchendaele [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Paul Gross
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars crass, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Passchendaele [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I was told about this film during the summer. i was on a trip to the battlefields of the Western front with a mate. We visited Newfoundland park and Passchendaele and met a few Canadians. i was told what a great film it was and eagerly awaited the DVD release and Oh what a disappointment. i think this was just about the most pretentious, crass war film I have ever seen. The acting was risible, so much so i thought it was a comedy at first. the characters had no depth, it used stereotypes and the battle scenes were cartoonish. It was so obvious. The first half of the film was a boring waste of my time and the second half laugh out loud bad. take the shot of our hero walking alone down a plank road through the desolation of the wet Flanders plain. cue the director shouting "and action" and all of a sudden on walk the actors, hilarious. The final reel where our hero carries his girlfriends brothers body back on his crucifix a la Christ on the Via Dolorosa was so bad I cringed. "my men, my modern Christs, your bloody agony confronts the world" hardly, it was an insult to the brave Canadians who martyred themselves in Flanders. Don't watch this film, it is dreadful.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2010 8:59 PM GMT