Profile for Wah Wah Banjo > Reviews

Content by Wah Wah Banjo

Wah Wah Banjo (Somerset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black
WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Offered by WOMB SECURITY

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless, 11 May 2011
I've used several external hard drives before and had no problems so I guess it was just my turn. Day One, the drive appeared to work, swift transfer of files. No problem until I tried to eject. It wouldn't. I waited ages and tried again several times but no luck. I looked up the problem online, tried everything suggested but nothing worked. I could either leave the PC on permanently with the drive connected or turn off without ejecting knowing that this could cause problems. I turned the PC off. When I next tried to use the drive I couldn't access anything and it wanted to re-format the disk. I did so, losing everything I had put on and later tried to eject. It still didn't work. On my third attempt to use the drive I tried add a few more files to it. The speed of transfer was now excruciatingly slow. Tiny files that should that would normally take seconds were taking several minutes. I gave up. A few hours later I tried to eject but, of course, I couldn't. I am now in the market for an alternative - that works.

Flow [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Flow [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bill Alexander
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Who owns the rain?, 5 May 2010
I came across this documentary by accident, which is very sad, because it really is essential viewing for anyone with slightest notion that all may not be well in our increasingly global and privatised world. To paraphrase the film, without water there is no society. And there is nothing people won't do to get water if they have none. Maude Barlow's description of water as 'blue gold' is dead right. There are some pretty straightforward arguments against the commodification of water, but that's the road we are travelling down. Forget about David Icke and his lizards. This is rather more real.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2010 3:08 PM BST

Katyn [DVD] [2007]
Katyn [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Artur Zmijewski
Offered by The World Cinema Store

3.0 out of 5 stars An important film and a good one, but could have been great, 9 April 2010
This review is from: Katyn [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This is a story that had to be told on film, in order to reach a wider audience. It's a shocking but utterly essential piece of 20th century history. Andrzej Wajda is an ideal director to make such a film, capable, respected and likely to attract the interest a subject like this deserves.

I was gripped by the film for most of its duration and found the last 10-15 minutes overwhelming, but I had the feeling that it was originally a longer film that had been quite radically edited (I'm probably wrong about this). There is a feeling of incoherence with many characters coming and going rather swiftly and randomly. This left me wondering on occasion about the connection between some of the characters and whether I had missed something (I probably had). This could, of course, be a deliberate effect, but it felt otherwise and I can't help thinking that instead of being a good film, this could have been a great one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2011 1:35 PM GMT

Hidden
Hidden
Offered by iAlpha Technologies

5.0 out of 5 stars And now for something completely different..., 3 April 2010
This review is from: Hidden (Audio CD)
If you don't like pretentious, stear clear of 'Hidden'. It displays Yes or Emerson, Lake and Palmer-like levels of pretention. It tries very hard indeed to be different and clever. But if it wasn't so pretentious, so preposterously, self-consciously ambitious it would not be so distinctive, so effective and such an admirable achievement.

There are many good young bands in Britain, the USA and elsewhere but far too many seem content to imitate their contemporaries, or update their heroes and cult favourites from the 60s, 70s or 80s. What many lack is the ambition to be much more than the new White Stripes, Gang of Four or New Order. To be something of their own creation, to record something that is its own genre. 'Hidden' is exactly that ambitious, which is enough to make it worth hearing at least once.

Whether you'll want to hear it twice is another matter. I did, because at times I found it quite thrilling. It's not wholly successful but it's high points are towering and totally justify the ambition. These New Puritans are not just pretending to be a different proposition.

Taksim Trio
Taksim Trio
Offered by Disco100

5.0 out of 5 stars An instance of the sublime, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: Taksim Trio (Audio CD)
From the opening notes this is an exceptional album. It is beautifully recorded, the instruments sounding rich, full, and in the hands of these musicians, laden with possibility. The three players are clearly masters, and although not averse to displaying their brilliance, they make their instruments the stars of this show. If you have the slightest interest in music beyond the straightjacket of the X Factor, or if like me, you seek the sublime, give these guys a chance to treat you.

Prodigal Son
Prodigal Son

5.0 out of 5 stars Luminous, 16 Jan 2008
This review is from: Prodigal Son (Audio CD)
I'd heard that Martin was good, read the enthusiastic reviews here and enjoyed his recent appearance on Jools Holland's Later. So today when I saw this album in my local library I borrowed it. Six tracks in I knew I had to buy it. The sublime guitar playing is reason enough, but the songs, their arrangements and Martin's performance of them surpassed my expectation by some distance. The other reviewers are absolutely right. This is luminous, exquisite music by any standard.

On Chesil Beach
On Chesil Beach
by Ian McEwan

3.0 out of 5 stars A long short story, 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: On Chesil Beach (Hardcover)
For fans of Ian McEwan this is a fairly enjoyable diversion while awaiting something more substantial. It's really a long short story rather a short novel. Despite the detail that he packs into describing the central incident and the build up to it (reminiscent of the detail in 'Saturday'), it lacks the character development that might have made it more convincing and enjoyable. The early 60s setting is interesting, but the contrast between this period and the mid to late 60s feels underdeveloped.

I found the first three quarters of the book a bit flat and slightly irritating, but the latter section is very effective and almost a throwback to vintage McEwan short stories.

It's nowhere near his best but overall just about worth it.

EP C/B EP
EP C/B EP

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: EP C/B EP (Audio CD)
Having heard the excellent 'Atlas' single, I had to hear more of Battles. While awaiting their album 'Mirrored', I thought I'd try this. Big mistake. On first hearing I was disappointed and then I was bored. There is nothing here as good as 'Atlas', because there's almost nothing here. It's all rather aimless, with basic samples and 'ideas' repeated without development or interest. There's some fine drumming but otherwise it's sterile and dull.

The Royal Scam
The Royal Scam

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-discovery, 3 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Royal Scam (Audio CD)
Many years ago I owned this album on vinyl. I was a Dan fan, but The Royal Scam wasn't my favourite. Last Christmas a friend gave me it as a present. He had rediscovered it and wanted to share the experience.

Re-hearing it, I'm tempted to think that it's appeal has grown because it represents the unthreatening certainties of the past, a familiar sound enhanced by nostalgia. But I don't really believe that, and I certainly don't want to. I think I simply failed to give it a chance. It didn't have the stand out tracks that my anticipation demanded. It asked for a little more than I gave. The more instant tracks - Kid Charlemagne and Haitian Divorce are good but not the Dan's best and that coloured my experience back in 1976. It obscured the quality of the set.

With hindsight, this is the sound of a band on its way to creating a classic ('Aja') but if you have read this far, it is certainly worth your pennies, time and attention. If a new young British band released something like this we'd all go bananas for it.

Quite Ugly One Morning
Quite Ugly One Morning
by Christopher Brookmyre

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing but lacking atmosphere or tension, 27 Feb 2007
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
I had heard positive things about Christopher Brookmyre and this book seemed generally well received. So I thought I would give it a try.

My first reaction was that I should have tried Brookmyre before. The opening scene is well written and very amusing. Unfortunately, that's the best part of the book. Christopher Brookmyre is a capable writer and he can be very funny but, on this evidence, he is not good enough at prose or comedy to compensate for bland plotting and weak characterisation. The main characters are simply not real enough to carry interest and seem little more than vehicles for the author's wit. Most significantly, there is a lack of atmosphere or tension.

Not a bad book, but not one I would recommend.

Page: 1 | 2