Profile for D. M. Baldwin > Reviews

Content by D. M. Baldwin

D. M. Baldwin "Dave B" (Gloucester, Gloucestershire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Empire of the Clouds / Maiden Voyage (Picture Disc) [12" VINYL]
Empire of the Clouds / Maiden Voyage (Picture Disc) [12" VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Collectable art on vinyl, 27 May 2016
A glorious piece of artwork, housed in a cut-away sleeve depicting a genuine 'Daily Mirror' report. Listen to the album, do not play this, you will ruin it...

Life on Mars
Life on Mars

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving..., 17 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Life on Mars (MP3 Download)
Rick Wakeman played piano on Bowie's original [in case you didn't already know], so this piano only version is both beautifully played and wonderfully moving. As the release is for charity, it serves as a fine tribute to the late great David Bowie and a indication of Wakeman's fine virtuoso playing skills.

From The Vault - L.A. Forum -Live In 1975 [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
From The Vault - L.A. Forum -Live In 1975 [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Rolling Stones

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock'n'Roll - I like it..., 21 Dec. 2014
This is a welcome release from 1975 as I believe previously only download available (or bootlegged copies). A good clear recording well remastered and a set list includes some of my favourites: Gimme Shelter, Tumblin' Dice, Wild Horses & Sympathy for the Devil and I'm sure those of many other fans' too; and all captured on a cleaned-up for DVD or Blue Ray format.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2015 3:27 AM GMT

TecTake heavy duty garden mesh cart load capacity 770lbs/350kg
TecTake heavy duty garden mesh cart load capacity 770lbs/350kg

3.0 out of 5 stars Instructions, what instructions?, 14 Mar. 2014
As a cart this one fits the description. So far it hs been used without any problems, but I fear this could change.

Firstly, the assembly instructions might as well have been written in Hieroglyphics for all the use they were. Tiny thumbnail pictures mostly out of focus and poorly esposed with the actual wording assuming one already knew exactly how this baby was meant to fit together; very irritating. But with a lot of fiddling and test fitting of pieces I was able to suss it out.

The problems may come with the folowing faults: the wheels have a nice bearing assembly that roll very smoothly, shame then that the axles are a fraction smaller so the wheels wobble on them. Also, as far as can be ascertained, there are meant to be two metal loops on the framework into which the corresponding loop on the cage sides/ends are supposed to slot. My version has only one loop resulting in the split pins protruding out too far and therefore loose cage sides/ends.

Furthermore, the steering action has metal to metal friction which I surmise will only result eventualy in the mechanism wearing through, which incidentally I can also foresee happening to the wobbly wheels. Ah well, plenty of WD40 required on these parts then...

The Rolling Stones - The Stones In The Park [1969] [DVD]
The Rolling Stones - The Stones In The Park [1969] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leslie Woodhead
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Remain ambivalent, 19 Jan. 2014
This is the Rolling Stones shortly after the death of Brian Jones, they hadn't performed for a while and it is telling; this is not the most polished performance from them you're ever likely to watch.

Filmed by Ganada television, it might just be me, but this comes across as film transferred onto disc. Forget surround sound or the fact it is meant to be, on my system the best I could get from this disc was stereo, Mick in centre speaker and an occasional 'bump' from the woofer.

Also, the picture quality is not great, is in 4:3 and is annoyingly, a-la documentary style, interspersed with footage other than from the stage
I find this irritating.

Live With Symphony Orchestra
Live With Symphony Orchestra

4.0 out of 5 stars WOT! no synthesisers?, 24 Jun. 2013
This is pure indulgence,just Rick and a piano, and of course the Buenos Aires Symphony Orchestra.

As much as I would love to give it the full 5-stars, there are moments, I believe referred to by other reviewers, where a bit more emphasis, more oomph coud have been put into what are the more agressive passages on the studio versions. That said, listen to this and you can discern what a fine piano player Rick is...

Energizer Ultimate 4 Pack AA 639155 Lithium Batteries
Energizer Ultimate 4 Pack AA 639155 Lithium Batteries

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 19 Mar. 2013
I chose lithium ultimates because I have found them reliable and long usage in my camera. I bought these beacause the price was considerably less then I have been used to paying. They are a back-up, so not in use yet, I am assuming they will live up to my expectations...

AC/DC: Let There Be Rock! [DVD] [2011]
AC/DC: Let There Be Rock! [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Angus Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating, 23 Jan. 2012
I am sure that to have been at this concert was the dog's dangles. But those of us that weren't look to such productions to give us an idea. The blurb on the packaging makes much of how good this DVD is at letting you know what it was like, so it is disappointng for the following reasons:

Poor sound quality, for 5.1 surround it seems to mostly come from the centre with bursts of stereo and occasionally the rear speakers are called into use, but that's mostly the crowd applauding/whooping etc, and almost always Bon Scott is drowned out by the music. Considering it has been remastered, the picture is very grainy and colours weak, with darker images showing 'swirls'.
And I find it irritating that there are interviews and other footage interpolated into the concert; this just interfears and would not have been what it was like to be in the audience. Even more annoyingly - sorry I can't at this precise moment recall which track it is - there is a whole sequence of a Porsche (128 I think) racing an old biplane over a very frosty field, no concert footage here then.
Such things should be reserved for extras and not stuck in between or replace concert performances.

AC/DC are a great band and overall I believe this was a great gig, but sadly for this reviewer anyway, it is not reflected in this DVD.
For that I can ony award 2 stars...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2012 6:44 PM BST

British Steam Railways
British Steam Railways
by unknown

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture this?, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: British Steam Railways (Hardcover)
Be aware, though the title does say 'Illustrated', if you are anticipating an album full of glorious locomotive pictures, you will be disappointed.

This so-called 'coffee table' format book contains a lot of text, an awful lot of text; I would have preferred more pictures ('Illustrated'). That said, the pictures in this book in many instances have been poorly reproduced. Some have been too tightly cropped (in some cases chopping of bits of the subject), while others have not benefited from being printed in oval format with soft focussed edges, and some of others are quite dark, all of which spoils what should have been a decent book.

If you do happen to like reading a lot, interpolated with pictures, and this subject matter is of interest to you, enjoy yourself; it's just not what I was anticipating from the title.

St. Anger [Bonus DVD Digipak]
St. Anger [Bonus DVD Digipak]

2.0 out of 5 stars METALLIC - UUUUUUGH!, 20 Jun. 2003
I don't know why people keep saying this is a return to form for Metallica. I've never heard them sound this bad before. The whole album seems to combine around one piece of music, played 11 different times at varying speeds, with key and time changes. If you desire 'djer-djer-djung, chung-chung-chung' guitaring, this album could be for you. Throughout each track, James hits on a set of lyrics and repeats them ad-infinitum. Lars' drumming sounds like he's acquired a new drum kit and just wanted to see what each drum sounded like, though it wouldn't surprise me if his toddler son Myles was actually playing. And where is Kirk? There are none of his discernable guitar pieces here. It's all just a meld of what sounds like hit the strings, hard, go off and have a coffee, and see what it sounded like, sample it, then take the rest of the week off. As a long term fan, I've collected a lot of Metalli-stuff, and to me this whole album sounds like a cd single filler. I mean the ones where it's just Lars and James pratting about on demo's in Lars'so called 'dungeon.'Bob Rock their long time producer, and on this album, stand in bass player, has let them get away with this? Former bass man Jason must be glad he left, and new boy Robert may be wondering what he's let himself in for. If this is the new, cleaner, substance free Metallica then maybe...
...Having waited for so long and anticipated how good the album would be, I am so disapointed. One star for effort and one for the free DVD; although that's just the same thing but with pictures. Please Metallica, don't do this again, and thank you Amazon for providing the vehicle for me to get that off my chest.

Page: 1 | 2