Profile for DCD > Reviews

Content by DCD

DCD "scrunglehead" (Norwich UK)

Emotion & Commotion
Emotion & Commotion
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Seven years, and we get this., 27 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Emotion & Commotion (Audio CD)
I expected more. A lot more. There are 2 decent tracks on this album. The rest is overblown tosh. I looked at the song list in disbelief. Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Nessum Dorma. It didn't bode well. Still, i thought, perhaps they are like, really different interpretations. No. They were as cringeworthy as I feared. Most of the rest is forgettable bland fodder.

I have every one of Jeff's other albums and treasure them all. This time he's come up with a dud. I read some of the 5* reviews in disbelief. It made me think of the Emperor's New Clothes. All I can say Jeff, is you have some really loyal fans out there. I suspect some would give you 5* for putting 10 Nursery Rhymes to music!

I am still looking forward to seeing him live in October. I just hope we don't hear the words "Here's another one off my latest album", too often

Sepulchre
Sepulchre
by Kate Mosse

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best, 13 July 2008
This review is from: Sepulchre (Paperback)
There are quite a lot of polarised views here and whilst I can appreciate the views of the 1 Star reviewers, I do feel its current average of 3 stars is about right. This is a very average read. The historical story is the saving grace really. I liked Leonie, I thought her characterisation was pretty good and as the real heroine, one wanted her to prevail. the problem for me was the linkages between her and Meredith just didn't stack up. They were just too ethereal. The criticisms already leveled by others about the modern day characters are spot on and for this story to succeed, both strands of the story have got to be credible as has the way they intertwine (obviously notwithstanding the need to suspend belief). The climax is anything but. I couldn't believe how weak it was, given all the build up. I certainly shan't be first in the queue to but Ms Mosse's next offering.

Fatty Batter: How Cricket Saved My Life (then Ruined It)
Fatty Batter: How Cricket Saved My Life (then Ruined It)
by Michael Simkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Insight, 9 Feb. 2008
One of the best autobiographies I have read for some time, let alone one devoted to cricket. This book is written in a wonderfully quirky style, extremely humorous to the extent that you are driven to read out extracts to whoever is around you at the time. There's even an element of mystery about some of the chapters as they rarely (especially in the last half) pick up from the previous one and it can take a while before the theme sets in. The anecdotes ranged from the hilarious to being quite moving, but without being sentimental as well, which is quite a feat. You don't need to like cricket to enjoy this, but for those of you who play regularly at Mr Simkins' level, or for the thousands of us who are probably much more mediocre, or those who simply stay indoors, watching a Test on a lovely sunny day from 11.00 am till tea-time and don't give a second thought to where the day has gone, you will identify with just about every chapter in the book

Freedomland [DVD]
Freedomland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Samuel L. Jackson
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars It's terrible, 8 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Freedomland [DVD] (DVD)
Lame acting, lame script, contrived story-line. I can't believe Samuel L. agreed to act in this tripe. Juliane Moore's acting was particularly poor. During some of the "emotional" and "revealing" scenes, I found myself laughing rather than empathising. It was that bad.

The film did not rise above mediocre at any point in time, even when the crucial revelation was made. The lowest point? Probably the "race riots". What an utter farce. Are we to believe that a detective would have the authority to impose, let alone sustain a "lockdown" over several days on the basis of the evidence presented in the story? I doubt it would have happened in 60s Mississippi, let alone New York in 2006!

I'm not normally moved to review films. I avoid the ones most people slate and when i've viewed one that most people rate highly and I enjoy it too, I can't be bothered to repeat what everyone else says. However, I viewed this banal nonsense on the strength of a 31/2 star average review. Hopefully I've redressed the balance a bit and with so many good films to watch out there, I might have saved someone a similar waste of time.

The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
by Jean M. Auel

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the most banal books I have ever read., 20 May 2002
Anyone who gives this book more than one star is too kind. If you've given it 4 or even 5 you must be wearing an incredible pair of rose tinted reading glasses.
How on earth can 750 pages contain so little. I have never been so unchallenged by a book since I stopped reading Enid Blyton. Someone once, in all seriousness, condensed a Jeffrey Archer novel into about 4 pages. You could condense this into about 4 lines.
An example of the real underlying banality in this book is the journey to the Summer Camp. Page after page describing which path they took, whether to climb or go round the hill. Yet, despite my turning the page with baited breath, NOTHING HAPPENED.
In addition, Ms Auel has moved from apparent authenticity in her (generally excellent) earlier books, to a world where prehistoric people are aware of pollution and even wash their hands before meals.
The only piece of useful information I gleaned from the whole book was that Ayla spits, not swallows! Well I shan't be swallowing any more either.