Profile for Cupperty > Reviews

Content by Cupperty

Cupperty (Peak District, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Brother MFC-5890CN Network Ready A3 Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer with fax

4.0 out of 5 stars Broken (Mac OS X 10.6) when purchased but great now, 9 April 2011
I picked one of these up at a very good price a few months ago. However it was very unreliable with Mac OS X 10.6 (only a year after the OS had come out!). I tried every fix I could find, including giving the printer a static IP address. However, 3 weeks ago a Mac OS X / Brother update fixed the network problem we had and the printer is now awesome! Recommended ..... The rating would be 5* but the delay in the driver update ....

Update: I spoke too soon!! OS X 10.6.7 appears to have broken the printer driver again. The computer we have upgraded to 10.6.7 does not print to the Brother, the computer that is still at 10.6.6 does. More investigation required ...

Why is printing to a network printer on the Mac such a pain? We had problems with our previous printer (Canon IP5200R) as well ...

Netgear RND2150 ReadyNAS Duo 2 Bay 500GB ( 1 x 500GB )
Netgear RND2150 ReadyNAS Duo 2 Bay 500GB ( 1 x 500GB )

4.0 out of 5 stars Great NAS box, 1 Jun 2009
After buying a different brand of disk for the second drive and plugging it in, the ReadyNAS was ready to use after only 10 minutes or so setting up. I chose a RAID X format for redundancy which allows you to hot-swap a disk (which I tested and it worked with no intervention necessary to rebuild the replacement disk!), put it in a cupboard connected via gigabit ethernet and haven't had to touch it for 6 months or so. The fan inlets will need hoovering soon though!

A USB drive plugged into the NAS provides another backup (in addition to the RAID redundancy), which can be taken offsite. It's easy to set up automatic overnight backups, and I haven't had one fail yet. A bonus is that the front USB ports automatically backup your USB stick if you plug it in (this behaviour can be changed). Of course, you can set up Windows shares which can be accessed by Macs, Linux or PCs.

You can set it up to email you when there is a problem, such as a failed backup, disk or fan and I also connected it to a supported UPC uninterruptible power supply (without needing to add any software) and it emailed me when we had a powercut!

A thoroughly great piece of kit, which allows you to treat your storage as a separate item to your computers. The only downside is the price when I bought it, although I have seen it quite a bit cheaper since.

The Food of Spain: A Journey For Food Lovers (Cookery)
The Food of Spain: A Journey For Food Lovers (Cookery)
by Murdoch Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Produces authentic resuls, 1 Jun 2009
The great thing about this book is that the recipes really taste Spanish. You can make the food you tasted in that tapas bar and it will be pretty close to the original. Getting hold of specific fish or cuts of meat might sometimes be tricky but with not too much specialist shopping and a bottle of .. ooh ooh ... Rioja you will be very close. The photos are good too!

The Sierras of the South: Travels in the Mountains of Andalusia
The Sierras of the South: Travels in the Mountains of Andalusia
by Alastair Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on Spain & the Spanish, 16 May 2009
If you want to learn about the Spanish (esp. Andalucian) psyche, my previous best recommendation was "Al sur de Granada" by Gerald Brennan. However, this book is even better (because it is more recent). Along with "The Spanish Labyrinth" and "The New Spaniards", this should be considered essential reading for anyone studying, or considering moving to, Spain.

Drama [Expanded & Remastered]
Drama [Expanded & Remastered]

5.0 out of 5 stars drags Yes out of 70s into 80s!, 16 May 2009
Great music, there are classic Yes tracks on this album - Machine Messiah and others. The Howe (BEST guitarist ever!) / Squire / White trio still define Yes. Seeing Yes perform live about 18 years after this album was made (1998, with Anderson back on vocals) confirmed that these 3 guys were the key members. Jon was the icing on the cake!

I Can See Your House From Here
I Can See Your House From Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Scofield seems to energise Mr Metheney!, 2 Feb 2008
I think that the fantastic Pat is often slightly academic in his playing, but this outing rebuts that minor criticism. I am a Pat Metheny fan and was introduced to Scofield by this CD (I'm not widely read on the jazz guitar front). Metheny rises to the challenge of Scofield on this album and sounds as though he is having some fun! The pair complement each other brilliantly.

The Scofield=left & Metheney=right audio positioning is a useful feature. I'd guess you'd like the album as a Scofield fan too. I'll be investigating Mr Scofield further ...

Theme of Secrets
Theme of Secrets

1.0 out of 5 stars The most disappointing album ever!, 2 Jun 2007
This review is from: Theme of Secrets (Audio CD)
I am an ardent Eddie Jobson fan - "UK" by UK *starring* Eddie has to be one of the best rock albums ever. It has been amongst my favourites for over 25 years. I acquired "Danger Money" by UK more recently, which is a respectable album but not in the same league as "UK".

I spent a couple of weeks in expectant anticipation of receiving this album. However, I was disappointed - the album is weak. It has interesting moments, but the arrangements are thin and the lush CS80 and Minimoog textures of "UK" are largely replaced by (now) cliched DX7 sounds which do not gel to make the sort of soundscapes I expected of Mr Jobson. Most of the playing is uncomplicated and makes undemanding listening too. Where "UK" left (leaves) you wanting to immediately replay the same album again and again, "Theme of Secrets" leaves this reviewer wanting to go and make a cup of (weak) tea. I have not yet heard any of his later work, so can only hope that this album was an 80's-induced aberration.

I have a copy to sell if anyone wants it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2013 1:02 AM BST

Logitech Wireless Mini Optical Mouse NB blue
Logitech Wireless Mini Optical Mouse NB blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with a Mac, 15 May 2007
If you're buying a Mac and considering an Apple wireless mouse, try this instead. 3 buttons and a scrollwheel - works perfectly in conjunction with an Apple wireless keyboard. No problems at all in 18 months' use.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch
Offered by NETWORK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - works with Mac, Palm and BT Basic broadband, 27 Oct 2006
The router is very simple to set up, has an excellent firewall and works with Mac OS X and Palm TX. It also has wired ports for non-wireless kit.

It works fine with BT Broadband Basic, although last time I checked it wasn't officially supported by BT.

Acer AL1916WS 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Acer AL1916WS 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant monitor but some RF interference, 11 Oct 2006
This monitor is fantastic - beautiful colour and very bright. Also surprisingly compact - the same height and depth as my previous 15" monitor, but a couple of inches wider.

The only quibble I have is that when the fan on my mac mini cranks up (when doing graphics or video) the interference on the image is quite obvious - the monitor is still usable but it's a bit annoying.

The computer is only about a foot away from the left side of the screen, so it's quite close. However, there were no problems with my previous monitor in the same position.

Still a fantastic monitor though!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3