Profile for Susan Glazier > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
by Karen Joy Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing, unusual, funny, disturbing and thought provoking book - read the Kindle version if possible, 17 Feb. 2015
An intriguing, unusual, funny, disturbing and thought provoking book which was bought for me by a friend. Although fundamentally a moral tale and a tragedy where all the main characters involved suffer significant damage, I couldn't put it down and had to compulsively read on to the end. It is not written chronologically but the pieces all eventually come together. Most of the writing is upbeat and wonderful. By implication, it is a scathing criticism of modern science and highlights the chauvinism and insensitivity of humankind. Rosemary is the narrator and much of it is engagingly told through her eyes as a child and then as a young adult. Rosemary has actually swallowed a dictionary (to impress her academic father) and I could have done with reading it on my Kindle (which I didn't) as word meanings are so accessible when using this technology. I loved it!

Dissolving Illusions
Dissolving Illusions

5.0 out of 5 stars History of my home town that I never knew, 13 Feb. 2015
My home town is Leicester and I found this book startlingly eye opening and important to me in terms of understanding my own grandfather's anti-vaccination stance. Like other reviewers, I had never known that vaccination for smallpox was compulsory in England from the mid 19th century until 1948 with many imprisonments and punitive fines for non-compliance. Nevertheless, after an uprising and a huge, choreographed mass protest rally against compulsion in Leicester in 1885 (due to many, many cases of vaccine damage including deaths), a conscientious objection clause was introduced that allowed people to opt out without prosecution. The rate of people unvaccinated in Leicester became very large - around 75%, and dire warnings were issued about the foolishness of people in Leicester and the catastrophic consequences that would come to the city. Over sixty years there were no dire consequences and Leicester pioneered smallpox eradication by public health means - using isolation of cases, contact tracing, quarantine of families and other contacts, and disinfection. The levels of smallpox in Leicester remained extremely low. My grandfather was born in 1890 in Leicester and with this very recent history he became a conscientious objector to vaccines - my mother was born in 1920 and he steadfastly refused to allow her to have any vaccinations at all. Although very frail now, my mother has remained in excellent health all her life up to her nineties.

Ladies 100% Cotton Towlling Bath Robe LN566 Lilac S
Ladies 100% Cotton Towlling Bath Robe LN566 Lilac S
Offered by Undercover Hosiery & Lingerie

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product - pleased with it, 9 Feb. 2015
I bought this towelling robe (in white) for someone else. She is very pleased with it. It was an excellent price, very warm and fluffy and fits well. Also, it's easy to wash.

Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness
Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness
by Ben Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars I take my hat off to Ben Watt - so human, so talented and so courageous, 29 Jan. 2015
I was kindly lent this book by a friend. It’s a harrowing but riveting read about one man’s experience of a very rare autoimmune condition, often deadly to those who contract it. Ben Watt (of “Everything But The Girl”) is very lucky to be alive after such a catastrophic and life threatening illness, involving loads of suffering, and he is a very brave man. His treatment involved the cutting edge of heroic medicine and surgery and dangerously powerful drugs, precisely adminstered to prevent further harm to him. The NHS seems to be very good at that. Nevertheless, as a reader (and not spelt out in any way in the book) I perceived that the psychological care and aftercare for a sufferer of such a rare syndrome was somewhat lacking.
Ben’s account of his illness is accomplished – his awareness of his internal states and his external world and his ability to convey his experiences in such detail and with occasional humour is remarkable. Ben eventually made a recovery which involves ongoing life adaptations. These include continual self-monitoring, a new and very limited diet and an acceptance of a new self image. To some extent, his illness still lurks somewhere in the shadows, threatening relapse, but that does not stop Ben pursuing a successful family life and musical career. Ben is a wonderfully descriptive writer, capturing his experiences lyrically and graphically, and the book is a very good read.

Polarity Management, 2nd Edition: Identifying and Managing Unsolvable Problems
Polarity Management, 2nd Edition: Identifying and Managing Unsolvable Problems
by Barry Johnson Ph.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really helpful tool to think with, 15 Jan. 2015
I used this book at work - it was so helpful to much of my thinking. It is a practical way to avoid excess and extremism which knocks a system out of kilter with negative consequences. I have retired and now feel the need of it in my everyday life (so ordered it for myself) - it is extremely wise and helpful and certainly an excellent tool to plan and think with. It's the sort of book to have handy to help you think through any problematic situation (and therefore plan your action short and long-term).

Discountfan Winter Long Soft Warm Tartan Check Scarves Wraps for women Wool Spinning Tassel Shawl Long Stole
Offered by AccessoryStation

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle colours, soft and warm, 11 Jan. 2015
Lovely scarf/shawl - subtle colours, soft and warm. Comforting and protective on cold days. Very good price.

This Holey Life
This Holey Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and sad - could have done with some editing, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: This Holey Life (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book about the life of Vicky, who married to Steve who is a plumber recently turned curate. Vicky struggles with unexpectedly finding herself being married to a vicar and she's not totally happy about it. The book is mostly funny (sometimes laugh out loud) centring around chaotic family life and relationships, but it does have one core theme that is extremely sad. The reason I read it is that it is set in Penge - Catford also features, as does Dulwich, Dartford and Worthing - all places I know well. The book was a bit rambling and could have done with some serious editing and the end part was just all too neat with a whole multitude of resolutions happening (in contrast with earlier chaos). Also, personally, I wasn't keen on the uncritical references to the Alpha course - I view all organised religion and Alpha tentacles, or similar, with suspicion.

Marcher: The Author's Preferred Text
Marcher: The Author's Preferred Text

5.0 out of 5 stars Endless universes, 6 Dec. 2014
I do love it, with a few reservations. I love Chris Beckett's writing, his original mind, his ability to write such fluent and believable dialogue and to write science fiction that is also incisive and damning social commentary on the way we organise society today (even though in the universe mainly being written about it was organised in some fundamentally different ways). I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but the ending didn't quite hang together for me. I wonder if in another universe, if this novel hadn't been pulled together from 6 separate Chris Beckett short stories but written from scratch, whether it would have been ultimately more rounded, more satisfying as a story. Nevertheless, for me, it still deserves 5 stars!

The 5th Wave (Book 1)
The 5th Wave (Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars On the edge of my seat..., 18 Sept. 2014
Well written and expertly plotted with many twists and turns, keeping the reader (like the lead characters) in a state of ambiguity for some considerable time. It had me on the edge of my seat and if I had had the time to read it in one sitting I would have done. Very imaginative and hugely enjoyable.

Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on health and nutrition I have ever read, 7 Sept. 2014
After finding that my aging bones were not as dense as they should be, my GP prescribed calcium and vitamin D supplements. I had been seeing negative reports about calcium supplementation, linking it to heart disease/ heart attacks and therefore I wasn't too keen to take it, so eventually I decided to stop it. After reading this book, all has become clear - it details how we need calcium for our bones but without vitamin K2 our circulating calcium is more than likely to settle in our arteries causing arteriosclerosis with a subsequent threat to our heart. With adequate intake of vitamin K2 plus vitamin D, plus vitamin A, calcium is steered away from our arteries and into our bones. This book is very enlightening on many levels and I would say one of the best books on health and nutrition that I have ever read. It very much highlights the importance of fat soluble vitamins, which cannot be overstated. It is also very readable, amusing and engaging. I urge you to read it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7