Profile for Musicman > Reviews

Once More Round The Sun
Once More Round The Sun
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it....again., 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
Mastodon are a band whose back catalogue traverses so many musical landscapes it's hard to work out what they'll do next. In this case they decided to meld their past works together to create one hell of a beast. Let's get one thing straight; I have been a huge fan of Mastodon since their inception and have welcomed every album they have done with high hopes and have never been let down by them. This still has not changed with "Once More Round The Sun".

"Tread Lightly" opens with Sanders howling out some superb vocals to then have Brann Dailor harmonise on the chorus. Top off with a cracking solo to finish and you have one hell of an opener, but it doesn't stop there. "The Motherload" is infectious and catchy with soaring Dailor vocals, amazing drumming and a another superb solo. "Ember City" just plain kicks ass as does "Feast Your Eyes" and "Asleep In The Deep".

I would explore the other highlights here, but they all are in reality. This is music at its best. Not metal, not rock, but music. What Mastodon are is a completely unique entity who manage to create works of art every single time they go near a studio and this is no exception. So should old Mastodon fans buy it? Yes! If you imagine Remission, Leviathan, Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye and The Hunter blended together then you pretty much end up with this. It takes more than one listen to pick up on all the nuances and nods to their older albums, but they are definitely there. This may be their most accessible release but it may also prove to be their best with time. Don't expect to listen to it once and then be done, it requires repeated listens to really shine through and each time is more rewarding highlighting another layer of sheer epicness that you didn't hear before.

To say this is my album of the year would be a huge understatement. Nothing I have bought this year or even since The Hunter comes even vaguely close to this. Now all I need is Amazon to dispatch my CD so I can stop listening to it repeatedly on Spotify and stick it in my car....it won't be leaving for a while!

Fortress
Fortress

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
Alter Bridge have long been one of my favourite bands. I recall reviewing Blackbird and saying it was an amazing album full of fantastic songs. I'm pleased to say that after the superb ABIII, AB are back with what is easily their best album yet.

Clearly Mark Tremonti releasing his own album, Flip doing Projected and Myles Kennedy doing another album with Slash has meant they have reconvened with a serious purpose; To release the album of their lives.

There simply is no standout track as this is clearly a standout album in a genre marred by mediocrity. From the Tool like riffings of The Uninvited, the fist pumpingly anthemic Cry Of Achilles, the haunting and beautiful musings of Lover to the epic grandioseness of Fortress, you have an album that will grow on you very quickly and stay there forever. I admit this is quite an emotional album and will not be to everyones taste, but to me this is just sheer brilliance. There are mergings of different styles here that simply work well together and every musician is at 200% capacity. I haven't even mentioned the sheer power of Myles Kennedy's voice or the fact that Waters Rising lead by Tremonti is a wake up call to the fact he is an amazing vocalist!

If I could say anything else great about this album I would, all I can say is its a purchase I really don't regret and you won't either, it's that good.

King Animal
King Animal
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail the King Animal, 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: King Animal (Audio CD)
Soundgarden are one of my favourite bands of all time so perhaps this review may come across as somewhat subjective...

If you are new to Soundgarden then perhaps this is not a good place to start. It sounds like a combination of Superunknown with Down On The Upside and some elements of Cornell's solo stuff thrown into the mix. Bear in mind none of what I have just said is bad.

"Been Away Too Long" marks the opening of a simply staggering return to form and this is only furthered on by the classic sounding "Non-State Actor", "Bones Of Birds", "Attirtion" and "Worse Dreams". I couldn't pick a favourite track as they are all good, even "Attrition" which critics have said isn't great!

This album is refreshing and modern and sounds like a natural evolution for Soundgarden. I cannot fault them for this and can only say how staggered I am by the musicianship (I'm a drummer and Matt Cameron never ceases to amaze) and the haunting vocals that are delivered by Cornell so perfectly. Its a grower, don;t get me wrong and I need to listen to it many more times to fully absorb the accomplishments on this album.

My 3 albums of the year are Rush's Clockwork Angels, Coheed and Cambria's Afterman and now King Animal. This is truly a work of art that deserves the time and effort and sheer enjoyment it creates.

Hail the King. Animal.

Black Clouds & Silver Linings [Special Edition]
Black Clouds & Silver Linings [Special Edition]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Two simple words..., 20 Jun. 2009
A masterpiece. As I write this, "A Nightmare To Remember" is blazing out of itunes.

I have been a DT fan for years and thought some of their albums lacked that special something that hooked me in in the first place. I can honestly say Black CLouds rekindles what make the band so special in the first place.

Let me start with a track by track run through.

1. A Nightmare To Remember - 10/10 - A truly epic song, very reminiscent of....well nothing really. To me this a mix of all their past styles with Petrucci shredding like no tomorrow and Rudess showing some masterful playing too. Absolutely brilliant.

2. A Rite Of Passage - 10/10 - When I first heard this I knew I would like this album. This is somewhat of an archetypal DT single which follows a simple structure and ten has something extra thrown in, insane guitar and keyboard work, and then retursn to form. Excellent.

3. Wither - 9/10 - An excellent single and is more melodic than other songs on here, it reminds me of a more musical Vacant.

4. The Shattered Fortress - 10/10 - This just plain owns. If you liked "This Dying Soul", "The Glass Prison", "Repentance" and "The Root of All Evil" then you will like this....probably becuase riffs and motifs from those songs comprise this with some extra stuff thrown in for good measure. The thing is it works REALLY well. A fitting end to Portnoys AA saga.

5. The Best Of Times - 9/10 - The slightly upbeat and happier song of the album, Portnoy wrote this for his father and played it to him before he died. It is very good, follows a farily simple (I use fairly lightly) structure and shows some good flavour to the album.

6. The Count Of Tuscany - 9/10 - For starters this is nothing like A Change Of Seasons, this is heavy for the first 11 minutes( after a baeutiful 2 minute intro of epicness) and then quieter for the last 8. It is good with simplistic lyrics and a good atmosphere. Not the best on the album.

The 6 covers are excellent and Stargazer especially is brilliant, but Rainbow were awesome anyway so theres no way it was'nt going to be good.

To summarise I will say that Black Clouds has far more emotion than any other DT album I have heard and in my opinion this is among their best work. As a band they just continue to evolve, but here they show that they truly are progressive and can cater to anyones' needs.

There is something for everyone on this album, the newbie looking to start and the seasoned DT veteran. You simply cannot go wrong.

Well done guys.

Crack the Skye
Crack the Skye
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance, 26 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Crack the Skye (Audio CD)
I don't usually feel compelled to write reviews but this is something that must be heard. At first I thought it wasnt as good as Blood Mountain....but thats becuase it is totally different. Theres singing for a start, eerie and brooding melodies and Brann Dailor's thunderous tom fills to boot. Songs like Oblivion and The Last Baron are masterpieces, the entire album is really, and I will admit that this is a grower, give it more than one listen becuase there is a great deal to absorb. Not only is this my album of 2009 (Only Iron Maiden and Dream Theater will come close I think) but I think this is the best album I have heard in a long time.....and Blood Mountain was brilliant in 2006. Once again Mastadon show what real music sounds like.

Blackbird
Blackbird

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, an absolute must have, 6 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Blackbird (Audio CD)
I purchased this album becuase I had heard so much about it. After One Day Remains I thought Alter Bridge were miles better than Creed but still had room to improve. This secures that improvement, easily one of the best heavy rock albums I have ever heard it is well worth a purchase. Stand out tracks are all of them really but if I had to pick one it would be "Brand New Start". Buy this album, you will not regret it.