Profile for Hugh of Bardfield > Reviews

Content by Hugh of Bardfield

Hugh of Bardfield "hughwl"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Breville VTT210 Polished Stainless Steel 2 Slice Toaster
Breville VTT210 Polished Stainless Steel 2 Slice Toaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good toaster at a sensible price, 15 Dec 2014
Bought this as a Which? "Best Buy", being the best combination of features and price from my PoV. Many of the "best buys" are a silly price unless you're making toast constantly, and simply can't be justified for making one breakfast a day in my view. Seems excellent so far: has coped with teacakes, crumpets and odd shaped pieces of bread being toasted to make breadcrumbs, as well as conventional toast. Have yet to try making Melba Toast in it, but I think it'll cope. The ability to lift the item being toasted part way thru to measure progress is very handy indeed. It also looks good. Recommended.

Home & Garden Direct Minky Folding Table Top Board 79cm x 29cm
Home & Garden Direct Minky Folding Table Top Board 79cm x 29cm
Offered by Home & Garden Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a quick iron, 15 Dec 2014
Possibly not the most robust item in the universe, but it certainly does the job. Saves setting up the full sized ironing board for doing a quick shirt or two, and placed on a kitchen worktop, I find the extra height it gives is really useful. I had anticipated that it would slip around on a worktop, but it seems remarkably stable. I purchased this because it seemed to be the only table top ironing board to gain a consistently good review score, and it seems to deserve it.

Yamaha YAS-93 Front Surround Soundbar System with dual built-in subwoofers- Black (new for 2014)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit - but wish I'd bought the one with bluetooth, 15 Dec 2014
Very pleased - we were fairly happy with the sound from our Samsung Smart TV, but it lacked depth. The Yamaha has added that back and gives a wider and more detailed soundstage. It was simplicity itself to install and it was pleasing to see an optical cable included, although I didn't need it as one was already in situ. As the sound output comes from the TV, it makes it very simple. I tried it with my elderly Philips DVD player and the sound was also excellent.

My only gripe is that it's quite fiddly to set up the soundbar to use the TV remote signals for volume/mute/standby etc. Once the principle is grasped that the button on the soundbar needs to be pressed once only, and that the remote will probably have to be operated more than once for each signal, it worked fine.

Having used it with Spotify and Classic FM thru the smart TV, I'm also pleased with it for music, but wish I'd sprung the extra for the Bluetooth version so I could play the music files on my smartphone through it as well. I presume it would also have allowed me to use my Bluetooth headphones to avoid keeping my wife awake!

The Hunter-Gatherer Way
The Hunter-Gatherer Way

4.0 out of 5 stars Intertesting, 1 Sep 2014
Hmmmmm - I bought this because I enjoyed Ffyona Campbell's books describing her long-distance walking exploits. This is an interesting read, but nothing like in the same vein. It could easily have irritated me to the point of hurling it across the room had it not been on Kindle, but I was glad to have read it, even though I won't be hurrying to book on one of Ms Campbell's courses. I'm sure there is much in what she says about how people used to live, but I don't buy in to the notion that we should return to living as hunter-gatherers. If it works for her, however, that's great.

The Quest
The Quest

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Quest (Audio CD)
Brilliant Album - bought after hearing Maddy perform "The Fabled Hare" live. This is excellent and highly recommended.

Daffodil ULT300 Dual Powered USB Light - 28 Bulb Reading Lamp with Desk / Headboard Clamp and Flexible Gooseneck - Battery (4xAA Not Included) or USB Power - 3 Brightness Levels - PC and MAC Compatible
Offered by Daffodil UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful little unit, 1 Sep 2014
Bought this for my wife, who makes hand-crafted jewellery for sale at craft fairs and farmers' markets. She wanted some portable lights that would provide some highlights on her displays, but would be self-contained and self-powered. I found these for her on Amazon and she's so delighted with the original two, she has had me order a further three. With the battery compartment loaded with four AA cells, the unit is quite stable freestanding so long as the flexible neck/ light unit is sensibly positioned. Clipped to one of her display stands, it's going nowhere. Her plan is to use four lights on her stall, and one to work with, all powered by rechargeable batteries. It'll be interesting to see how robust they prove to be in use, but they seem quite well made. Obviously, we aren't talking arc lights here, but for a bit of highlight lighting and enhancement, I think they will do the job.

6 in 1 Utili-Key Multi-Tool
6 in 1 Utili-Key Multi-Tool
Offered by CuteBitz Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced, 12 Aug 2014
I bought this replace a similar item, which I had lost. This doesn't seem to be the same quality as the original I had (bought for me by my wife) and the printing on the card insert is poor. I wonder if this is the genuine article?

DURAGADGET Hard EVA Small Storage Case For Headphones / Earbuds, With Compartment (Black) For Philips: SBCHL145, SHP1800/00, SHB9150, SHL9705A, SHB7000/00, Heden, Citiscape Uptown, Citiscape Downtown, Citiscape Frames
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well made case, 12 Aug 2014
Nice case - slightly larger than I'd expected and my Philips SHB9100 headphones are actually a little small for it. However, they fit with room to spare, and I'll need to think what else I put in the case for as well :-) It seems nicely made and finished, and is quite solid - preventing the press button on/off switch on the phones being activated in my bag, which was why I wanted a case in the first place. Given the solidity of the case, I think the price is fair.

Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 5 Aug 2014
Works fine on my Samsung S3 LTE phone. I have learned the hard way to always buy the largest card available for any given gadget. Otherwise you run out of space :-( So far, this is quick and reliable and I got it for a good price.

OfficeSuite Professional 8
OfficeSuite Professional 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: OfficeSuite Professional 8 (App)
This was free, so I was very happy to download it. I used this (paid for) on a previous tablet and was very happy with it. I now use something else most of the time, simply because it came along first as a free download, but it never hurts to have a backup option.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5