Profile for J. Emley > Reviews

Spanish. An Easy Way to Learn
by Adalina Fuentes
Price: 6.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Better Available - pages aren't numbered, 22 Mar 2014
¡First major problem with this book, there are NO page numbers! This makes it difficult to make notes for quick reference, or to flick and check your answers.

It seems absurd not to number book pages!

The cover looks iffy, medium resolution image. Together with above makes me wonder if its a cheap copy.

No images in book either to illustrate points, which doesn't help with word association.

Anyway, plenty of vocabulary so ill give it a go.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, evocative, harrowing, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Storyteller (Paperback)
Where to start! This book is fantastic.

Minkas recollection of WW2, the ghetto, her family, friends & Auschwitz are truly harrowing, written in such an evocative style, creating horrific images.

Yet Josefs recollection of how he graduated from the HJ to SS make the reader aware of the environment these nazis were born into and educated in. At times one of them is almost likeable in the book.

The book then throws in powerful, thought-provoking moral issues that Sage toils with. As she does so it's impossible not to contemplate them yourself.

Add in a bit little legal thriller in the form of Leo the nazi hunter and you have a compelling read. Having bought the ereader version I may now buy the paperback version to keep on my bookshelves!

Seiko Men's 5 Automatic Watch SNK805K2
Seiko Men's 5 Automatic Watch SNK805K2
Offered by Blue Shop
Price: 44.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value mechanical watch, 6 Nov 2013
As a lover of mechanical watches I was drawn to the Seiko 5 because collectors forums recommended it as one to have because of it's value for money.

I opted for the military green and was looking for a sturdy mechanical timepiece to wear at my work, which involves a lot of physical action, every day.

I must say I'm thoroughly delighted! It also arrived very promptly, having been fulfilled by Amazon.

Taking it out the box I was pleased by the weight of it, it has a nice quality feel about it. Setting up the day and time was easy and hardly any movement got it ticking away sweetly. It's billingual English/French, but getting it to display the day in English was very easy. The tick is very quiet compared to my other much more expensive mechanical, though I like a loud tick. When moving your wrist you can hear a little "rattle" inside, though this is normal and is just the automatic function charging the watch.

The watch face is nicely laid out and easy to read. The hands glow nicely in the dark. I also happen to like the canvas strap.

I haven't yet monitored it's time keeping over a week, but a few minutes here or there won't matter to me. Other much more expensive mechanical watches will lose time a little too.

It's only water resistant, so care needs to be taken in that respect.

One final thing, don't be duped by the ridiculous RRP and supposed saving. I paid a little under 50, it's probably worth 50-60.

Some Day I'll Find You
Some Day I'll Find You
by Richard Madeley
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Some Day I'll Find You (Paperback)
I'll keep this short and sweet, I just wanted to keep reading and reading, couldn't put it down. I felt like I really knew the characters. Recommended.

My War: Killing Time in Iraq
My War: Killing Time in Iraq
by Colby Buzzell
Price: 8.68

5.0 out of 5 stars breath of fresh air, 25 Feb 2006
I'll keep this short; it's an excellent book, eye-opening, shows the dark side of war (is there a bright side?), well detailed and the author is has a great sense of humour. The accounts of combat scenes are particularly good.