Profile for D. Pybus > Reviews

American History X [Blu-ray]
American History X [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Edward Norton

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Film, Mediocre Blu-Ray, 31 Dec 2010
I would have given this film a 5 star if it wasn't for the extremely poor audio in the Blu-Ray. And the ending.

The story of the film is top-notch, although the ending is a bit stupid, like it wanted to add a shock into the film when it didn't really need it.

The video quality is good for Blu-Ray standards, but not amazing. And the audio, as I say is poor. Very poor. I wore 5.1 Headphones while watching it (Although I suspect stereo headphones will hold the same problem), and all dialogue, and main sound effects were coming from the right ear, at full volume, and on the left ear, it was just very quiet background noise, so it just felt awful to listen to.

Good film, just don't listen to it with headphones.

The Lost Symbol: (Robert Langdon Book 3)
The Lost Symbol: (Robert Langdon Book 3)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 27 Dec 2010
Book: The Lost Symbol (Kindle Edition)
Author" Dan Brown

Now, I wouldn't call me a huge fan of Dan Brown. I do enjoy his work, and find it very interesting. But I don't go out of my way to read his books. But straight from the bat of this review, I will say this is my favourite book by Dan Brown (Out of The Lost Symbol, Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons). It's the only book out of the 3 that made me want to read more. Although that may have been me wanting to test out my new gadget (Kindle) more and more.

Anyway, onto the review!

The story is by far the best out of the Dan Brown books, and there are parts where it makes you think, is that real, or just part of the book and leaves me off to read on the internet about the book. I do already enjoy reading about the main character Robert Langdon (See Tom Hanks in the films) as he seems like a normal person like you and I, who gets thrown in the deep end (Although with it being the 3rd time, it starts to get less credible). There are enough twists within the book to make you want to read on and on, but it does start to drift.

It does hold a similar problem that the new Star Wars films (Add a little of my geekiness here!) had though within the book. You're following at time up to 3 seperate stories, of 3 seperate characters within the books, and it starts to feel very messy, and at other times very confusing leading you to going back pages to re-read passages.

The book is the best of the 3 Robert Langdon books, although I do hope it is the last of the Robert Langdon books, as then using that same character will be disappointing, and a bit lazy on the author. The book holds enough twists throughout it, and it makes you think a fair amount about what the history before us held. The ending starts to drag a bit and makes you just want to reach the end to move onto the next book.

So in conclusion I would say for a few quid it's well worth the money for the book. It took me a few days to complete the book, and afterwards it left me thinking for a bit. But I must say I was sort of happy to move on.

Rating:

Writing Style - 5/5 - A book is always good when you want to read on!

Story - 3.5/5 - I use the second lowest font size, and with there being usually 2 or 3 pages a chapter, and then moving onto a different story with different characters it at times leaves you a little lost at times. Also at the end you wish to know what happened to other characters a bit more (Such as Trish, or the computer hacker which is just thrown in and then nothing is explained about at all.)

Use of characters - 4/5 - Although most of the characters are new, and all hold different secrets, there are enough of them to make the book interesting, but the main character is a bit overused and stale now which notches it down a point.

Overall 4/5

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhikers Guide 1)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhikers Guide 1)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, 27 Dec 2010
Book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams

Introduction:

To start off with, this is the first time I have read the book, although I did see (And enjoy) the average rated film. I've always been interested in reading the book, and was at a loss of which book to read first out of The Lost Symbol and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, eventually choosing the former. And to be honest I'm happy for choosing the former, but not because it is better. But the fact is, while it is a great book, it wasn't as good as The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and I want to read the trilogy of five all together. So therefore it would take a while before I even started reading the Dan Brown Novel.

Review:

Writing Style:

The writing style by Douglas Adams is great. No matter what you read it can do nothing but bring a smile to your face, and although it sometimes tails off and gets a slight bit confusing at times, when you do get into it and understand it, it will do nothing but to bring you into the story and make you wish you were following the world of Arthur Dent. The creativity that the author shows is immense, with the all the different species, with their personalities and way of life being so different, and so entertaining (Such as the legendary Vogons), or the whole story of the book and the randomness that the book entails such as the great answer coming out.

Story:

One of the best stories I have read in a while. It is so original and funny, and it makes you want to find out more and more about the book and the whole universe around us (Literally!). It's quite a short story where you could feel yourself going through it at a reasonable pace, but thankfully with there being other books, my journey around the universe isn't over yet! The different personalities, and the randomness of them all coming across each other is entertaining. With a special mention to Marvin, who always brings a smile no matter what he says or how depressing he is. Also the confusion that we would all feel is portrayed by Arthur Dent, which means that we don't feel the back story being told directly to us, but in actual fact it's all part of the real story.

Use of Character:

I guess most of this is mentioned in the story part!

Rating: