Profile for DKSE > Reviews

Content by DKSE

DKSE (Scotland)

Revenge of the Elf (Nysta Book 1)
Revenge of the Elf (Nysta Book 1)
Price: 2.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story, a good start to the series, 30 Jun 2013
I bought this during a brief period when it was free on Kindle. However, I'd probably happily pay 2-3 for it. The book is fairly enjoyable; an interesting story and a readable writing style. I'd give it 3.5 stars out of 5 if I could, but it doesn't quite deserve 4 stars, so 3 it is.

It does read a bit like a novel with insufficient editorial control at times. For example, I found the sentence "Stepped off the porch and allowed her eyes the chance to drink in the view one last time." a bit jarring, as well as lines like "Her eyes lost sight of.." rather than "She lost sight of" (especially as I'd just finished Philip K Dick's short story 'The Eyes Have It').

The way almost every chapter ended with a pun interrupted the flow of the story a bit for me, especially since the rest of the book did not read to me like a humorous novel. There was also one use of a US/Oz colloquialism by an elf ("if you want it all to be jake"), which did not fit well in a fantasy setting. However, these are minor gripes and nothing that would stop me reading the rest of the series when it comes out.

I found the writing style easy enough to contend with, and enjoyed the story. Based on my experience of other similar novels starting off a new series, I'd expect the series to improve with each book, so I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn Book 1)
The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn Book 1)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read, 30 Jun 2013
I bought this to fill in the wait between reading books in George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice & Fire' series. While not up to that standard, this is an enjoyable read, with an engaging plot and consistent characters. I've bought and read the first three books in the series so far, and at the end of each one, I'm left eager to find out what happens next. I also think the series has improved with each book so far.

A Blink of the Screen: Collected Short Fiction
A Blink of the Screen: Collected Short Fiction
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and almost complete collection of his short fiction, 12 Oct 2012
Finished reading this today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It appears to contain almost every one of Terry Pratchett's short stories, except for 'Night Dweller' and 'History in the Faking' (And excluding the Bucks Free Press serialised shorts written as 'Uncle Jim', although it does contain two of those). Contains 10 pre-1980 short stories, 11 non-discworld stories and 12 discworld pieces, including the excellent 'The Sea and Little Fishes'. Each story has a short introduction by the author. Contains 15 illustrations as well - in the kindle version these are near the end between the last story and the Appendix but I'm not sure if that is also the case for the hardback book. The stories range in publication date from 1963 (The Hades Business, written when he was 13) to 2010 and and give an excellent insight into his development as a storyteller over time. I'd recommend this book to any Pratchett fan, or non-fan.

Creative EP-830 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money at under 20, 11 Jan 2012
Good value for money, at least at the price I paid (18). I bought these to replace a pair of Samsung in-ear headphones that I was using with a Philips GoGear Raga MP3 player, and the difference is like night and day. There is slightly less bass than on some other in-ear headphones I have used (including the Samsung ones), but the bass and mid-range are both much clearer and crisper. The noise cancelling properties are merely reasonable, but that's not what I bought them for, so happy with that.

Creative Zen Stone Plus Mains Charger
Creative Zen Stone Plus Mains Charger
Offered by MP3PartsEurope
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with Zen Stone Plus, 21 May 2008
Works fine with my Zen Stone plus, charged it correctly in good time. Connector is a bit stiff - I had to struggle a bit to connect and disconnect my zen stone to it, hence the 4 stars instead of 5. But otherwise an excellent substitute when you're on holiday and don't have a PC with you to charge the MP3 player from.