Profile for Chill > Reviews

Delonghi EN520.BL Nespresso Lattissima Plus Coffee Maker, Blue
Delonghi EN520.BL Nespresso Lattissima Plus Coffee Maker, Blue
Offered by sotel-germany

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, 13 Jan 2013
As a long time Nespresso user I wanted a machine to replace an ageing Magimix M200, which has served me well for almost seven years. I wanted a machine that gave me the same flexibility as the M200, and was worried that I'd struggle to find a current machine that would match up to it.

I'm happy to say that the Lattissima Plus is better in every way. The milk frother is very handy and works really well. Like the M200 the frothiness can be adjusted for cappuccino or latte, but it can be stored in the fridge, and has a built in cleaning cycle. The cup size, and the amounts of coffee and milk, can be programmed, and thereafter a perfect coffee is a one button process. The machine is surprisingly small - definitely more compact than the M200, yet can accommodate taller cups when needed. The auto power-off feature will be most welcome - no more wondering if I forgot to turn the machine off.

The Nespresso system guarantees consistently good coffee, cup after cup, with no mess and very little cleaning involved. There are coffees to suit most tastes. Don't be put off by having to buy the capsules directly from Nespresso. I usually buy enough for three to four months at a time, so carriage is free (and often next day), meaning they work out around 30p a cup, which is good value for one of life's little luxuries.

Buffalo Ministation Air 500GB USB 3.0 & Wireless Portable Storage - Black
Buffalo Ministation Air 500GB USB 3.0 & Wireless Portable Storage - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solution for extra storage, 2 Jan 2013
This item works very well, and allows us to take our entire iTunes video library with us, as well as providing a means to backup iPhone content while out and about. The free IOS app works well on an iPhone 4 (running IOS5) and an iPhone 4S (running IOS6). I haven't experienced any crashes while I've been using it. There's also an Android app.

I can't comment on the DRM issue mentioned in another review, as I haven't tried it with purchased files. The .m4v video files that I've produced myself work well in iTunes and on this MiniStation.

The device works as a standard portable hard drive when connected to a computer, and adding content to the drive is just a matter copying files to it - no special software needed. The interface is USB3, which works well in a USB2 slot in my computer. Note that the IOS app lists the stored content by filename only (tags don't seem to be used), so make sure your folder structure is sensible, your video filenames make sense, and that you can distinguish your files even if those filenames are truncated in the file list.

The device creates its own secure wifi network - simply connect your phone to this network as you would a normal access point, and then run the MiniStation app to access your media or backup your photos etc. The app also gives access to the device configuration options. Alternatively you can connect to the device wirelessly from your computer (default IP address 10.10.10.254) in order to access these configuration options, such as changing the network name, password, security options etc. There is a WAN option to connect the device to a separate wireless access point (such as your wireless router), so that any device connected to the MiniStation also gets pass-through access to the internet - without this option you'd have to switch your phone between the MiniStation wifi and your router's wifi to check email etc. This could be useful on a train or in an airport for instance - just configure the MiniStation's WAN options to connect to the available wifi and your phone will then have internet access despite being connected to your MiniStation the whole time.

In the box you also get a mesh bag to carry the drive in, a USB-to-DC-jack charging cable, and a USB3 data cable. Note that the wifi network is not available when the drive is connected via USB, and that it takes about a minute for the wifi network to show up after disconnecting the USB cable (or switching on the drive). Wifi remains active while the drive is charging through the DC jack however.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this device. It does what it aims to do very well.

Rockinghorse
Rockinghorse

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Jools, on a good day!, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Rockinghorse (Audio CD)
As a long time fan of Jools' Rhythm & Blues Orchestra I was surprised just how much of a step forward this album was. It's their best yet, and I've had it playing on a loop for several days - it just gets better and better.

A couple of observations:
1) Some of the best tracks are Jools Holland compositions - 'Father Time' and 'Enchanted Castle' are stand-outs. He seems to be in his prime right now.
2) Louise Marshall - why haven't I noticed her contributions before? Coincidentally she's the vocalist on the two tracks I mentioned above - vocally almost a cross between Ruby Turner and Sam Brown, and a perfect partner for Jools' writing talents.

It was Jools' 2011 Hootenanny that inspired me to look for studio albums that I might have missed, and I'm glad I did. If you've ever appreciated the 'get up and boogie' feeling that Jools' band inspires, get this album.