Profile for Voyager > Reviews

A Learning Experience
A Learning Experience
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed reading this one, 5 Mar 2014
Whilst there are obvious points to Christophers style of writing that some would find, annoying, simplistic or just downright childish, I as an avid reader of SF @ some Fantasy, find it very refreshing and well worth reading.

There are clear similarities to Weber, Ringo @ Campbell with a touch of Doc Smith mixed in for good measure. The upshot is a style that I can't seem to get enough of since I found him only a week ago, go Christopher.

I found Arc Royal by accident, last week @ couldn't put it down, (a sequel please). That led me to Sufficiently Advanced Technology and now to A Learning Experience, all purchased on Amazon. I could have loaned them via Prime but wanted to help what I think of as a really good author to keep writing more of the same.
Good luck and keep em coming please.

Executable (The Demon Accords Book 6)
Executable (The Demon Accords Book 6)
Price: 2.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little off topic for me., 5 Mar 2014
I love this guy, his Demon Accord books are superb and I am waiting, not so patiently for the next book.
I would rather follow the main story but at least this puts some more meat on the bones of the main characters.

All in all, a good read but take my advice, if you are thinking of reading this, read all of the other books in the series first, you won't be disappointed.

Damocles
Damocles
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than expected, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Damocles (Kindle Edition)
I initially got this in audio fornat but disliked tbe whinny and clipped female voice. Having listened to the first chapter, I decided to read it instead and was very glad I did.

Very well constructed by making each chapter alternate between a human linguist and the initially, rather scared "alien".

I have been reading sci fi for over 45 years and have over 1500 books in my sci fi collection, and it is rare these days to find a thought provoking story, this fills that void.

A couple of very minor syntax errors but well worth reading, in my humble opinion.

England Expects (Empires Lost Book 1)
England Expects (Empires Lost Book 1)
Price: 1.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Well executed and detailed plot, 2 Mar 2013
Not sure I understand what some reviewers mean when they say this story is not very good. Whilst I may not be a writer, I have been reading and collecting, mainly Sci Fi books since I was 14 years old. Now at 57, I can say that the only two issues I have with this book are as follows.
Firstly, there is too much detail about every little thing. Secondly, every character has too much detail. You could say this is the same thing and are probably correct, but details about places are not the same as details about people.
The reason a story has a high level of detail about people is so that the reader can invest in them, that's not the same for places. This book has intense details about people who are just in that chapter and are then killed off.
If the author cuts the excessive detail about inconsequencal places and people, then the second book in the series will be excellent and I for one cannot wait for it to come out.
I spent 4 nights reading until late, BUT, I did skip several parts that were just too boring with an excess of detail.
Excellent storyline, good depth of characters, superb convolutions and twists that keep you thinking. Several times I thought I knew what was coming next but was caught flat footed, such as the (SPOILER ALERT), nuke with an inert core due to time travel, or the character Brandis going to Germany as an SS officer.
One thing that I thought was wrong but can understand why it was done, is the Hindsight team heading for Australia. In reality, England actually did send all of her top secret research abroad before Hitler was expected to actually invade England in 1940/1. They sent it all to America because they had the technical skill to develop it and the manufacturing base and military forces to enable a free world to carry on.
That all said, I hope the next book is not too long in coming because I do not want England under the jackboot for too much longer (lol).

Sony Xperia Tablet S 9.4 inch LCD Tablet (NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB Memory, Wi-Fi, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb device, better than I thouht it would be, 14 Dec 2012
I have had 2 tablets before this Sony Xperia and had initially thought to get a windows 8 tablet until I noticed this in the Sony shop in my town. I checked it out and bought it on the spot. Now normally I would have checked loads of reviews but I had not even heard of this one until I walked into the shop.
The Sony service was less than good but I still bought it anyway. I opened the box and was connected to the internet in less than a minute from the startup screen, it was tht easy.
Fast, light, superb display and excellent acessories make this the best tablet I have ever usedor seen. Forget Apple and Samsung, Sony are it for me even though I am not really a Sony fan, they do make great devices.
I can control tv and dvd with it but do not really bother, it's just too bulky for doing that, what it's good at is being a great android tablet.

Blanton's Gold Edition Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Blanton's Gold Edition Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Offered by Drink Specialist
Price: 64.15

5.0 out of 5 stars The best whiskey I have ever tasted to date, 28 Sep 2012
I collect different whiskeys from around the world, but am not much for drinking them, more of a collector so my knowledge of whiskey is limited. What I do do, is collect a bottle that I like & then go & buy a second one that I can drink. This gives me the satisfaction of a collection & knowing what each of them actually taste like.

Blantons Gold Edition is the one that I have decided I am going to drink regularly, i.e. at least 3-4 bottles each year.

Not too powerful as it goes down but definately smooth with no ragged aftertaste hitting the back of the throat.

I have no time for all those people who say all those pretensious things so they can be seen as knowing what they are talking about, well that's what they think anyway. Most of us think it just makes them look even more stupid than they already are.

All I can say is that Blantons Gold Edition tastes better than Makers Mark, Four Roses & several others that I have tasted, well that's my humble opinion anyway.

Try it or not, but if you do, I think you would in all probability, enjoy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2013 1:40 AM BST

Dante Valentine (Dante Valentine Novels)
Dante Valentine (Dante Valentine Novels)
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Do I have to acknowledge that I read this stuff ?., 28 Sep 2012
Keeping details of my age etc secret, (because these books are not really meant for my age group, I don't think). I can say that I have so far read the first book in this omnibus & I actually rather like it. I am now part way through the second book & stayed up until >02.00hrs until I fell asleep still reading it.

Not that I think going with a demon (if they existed), is acceptable, the story is fresh, detailed but not too much so, & goes along at quite a pace. The main character, Dante Valentine is someone you could understand has gone through a lot & is still taking her hits & not letting them stop her.

Cudos to Lilith Saintcrow for a good solid read with lots of fun thrown in.

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon cover with light EXPENSIVE or what., 28 Sep 2012
I purchased a touch Kindle to replace my keyboard one that I gave to my son, who loves it by the way. I was going to buy the cover with the light on it but when I saw the price, I almost didn't believe it. 40 quid for a cover that does not even have a clasp on it & in very few drab colours.

I noticed a review by someone on the Kindle touch & they mentioned the same cover as the Amazon one, being sold on a very prominent auction site. These covers had brighter colours as well as a magnetic clasp so I bought one of those instead, simple.

Whilst I think the Kindle is an excellent piece of kit & I buy lots of stuff from Amazon, I am not about to throw away my money or tell Amazon staff, "hey, here's my card number, take some cash from me please".

The cover I bought is in bright red (my choice, yours could be different of course), & cost HALF the price of the amazon one & has a clasp & a years warranty with it. You could do worse than at least have a look. My loyalty to Amazon does not extend to throwing money away.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2012 12:11 AM BST

A1CS 10"/10.2" Leather Look Case + USB Keyboard. IDEAL FOR 10.1" FUSION5 / 10.1" A10 / C91 / MOMO15 TABLET PCS
Offered by F5CS LTD
Price: 19.49

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not that good, 30 Aug 2012
The Fusion does not fit properly because the power connection on the Fusion is BEHIND the right hand clip that holds the
Fusion in place @ the left hand clip broke off within a month of very light useage.

I have stopped trying to use it and now just leave the Fusion in the case when I am not using it, other than that, it makes a good door stop...not really.

A1CS FUSION5 XTRA Tablet PC - 10.1" Screen - Android 4.0.4 ICS - DUAL CAMERA - 16GB STORAGE - 1GB RAM - - Capacitive 5-Point Touch Screen - SLIMMER N LIGHTER THAN FUSION5 TABLET -Supports BBC Iplayer.
Offered by F5CS LTD
Price: 189.59

5.0 out of 5 stars fusio5 Extra, 7 July 2012
I bought this last week because I wanted to upgrade from a Nats 7", which by the way is a really excellent tablet but not big enough a screen for me.
Anyway, it's really top class. No, it's not an Ipad, but I never wanted an Ipad. What's the point when they constrain you with propriety control every where you look.
The Fusion Extra is lightweight, fast, great display, easy to use, (obviously you have the Android software to thank for that) and does everything a tablet can and should do.
All in all, well worth the price and it works even better with a screen protector on it. If I had a gripe, it would be that the case with the keyboard built in, does not fit the Fusion Extra properly, the case is too big so the tablet moves about a couple of mils as you carry it around. Also, the mains power connection cannot be plugged in to the tablet if it is in the case. The side clip that holds the tablet in on one side, is right over where the power connection is, crappy case design if you ask me.
I'm trying to find a normal case for it but no luck yet. The touch keyboard is easily good enough, you don't need an extra one in the carry case.
Other than that, I recommend the Fusion5 Extra to anyone who does not want or need an Apple.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2012 10:03 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2