Profile for Pamina Frost > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
G.O.D.
G.O.D.
by Shelley Irving

5.0 out of 5 stars I never understood God, but G.O.D. is helping me get there., 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: G.O.D. (Paperback)
Enjoyable, fun, more believable than some of the heaven scenarios I've met. One of the most original plot lines I've read since my favourite: Alice in Wonderland. Still working on what that is about, so this one's got mileage too.

The Frankincense Statuette (The Frankincense Stauette Book 1)
The Frankincense Statuette (The Frankincense Stauette Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars fun, fast, fascinating and fantasy -- a good story and there's more to come, 5 Jun. 2012
The story is well-paced, with interesting characters, some of whom you can identify with and others you hope you don't. Definitely a page-turner. The book takes you from America to Yemen and lets you spend some time in Wales. You get to live the jet-set lifestyle and feel like a desert nomad too. Intriguing story and even more intriguing ending, you're left wondering if your view of what was going on will be proved right in the sequel.

Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth
Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth
by Bart D. Ehrman

2.0 out of 5 stars weak scholarship pandering to an audience expectation, 20 Mar. 2012
From what I knew of the author and having recently read The Greatest Lie Ever Told, I had expected something that would add to this knowledge. Immediately Ehrman disappointed, where Uffington had delighted: Ehrman tells us that experts are experts because of their years of study and because they agree with one another. So if all the 'experts' agree that Jesus existed, he does. There is no list of 'experts' who agree with one another that Jesus didn't exist at all! Spoiled by Uffington, I suppose I expected logical argument: it wasn't there.

Ehrman's weak scholarship peaks around page 221. He can do no better than come up with an idea that the pagan mystery religions were about fertility deities. At least that explained his earlier obsession with 'mythicists'. What really irritated was the fact that he missed out the philosophy that underpinned the Mystery Religions and there was no mention of their spirituality at all. Though I wasn't surprised if he saw Jesus as either 'real' or 'myth' and never as a 'spiritual concept'. Mind you, if you are familiar with Christianity, you may not realise that spirituality was supposed to be part of a religious system and that is was a crucial component of the Mystery Religions.

I found it hard to believe that Ehrman had not got a clue about how Jesus fitted into the Dying/Resurrecting-Godman local heroes of the Mystery Religions, common from the time of Pythagoras until the 4th century CE (a period of almost a thousand years). If I have read Philo of Alexandria's works, surely Ehrman had! He fails to look at the civilisation at the time, at the Egyptian history of the Old Testament; he thus has no understanding of what Jesus was supposed to be about. Ehrman may know about the religious figure of Jesus within exoteric Christianity, but he shows no understanding of the religious history, or the esoteric Christianity of the time. I found the book high in opinion but low in logic and low in fact.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2015 6:37 PM GMT

Top Marks with Kelly Marks
Top Marks with Kelly Marks
Dvd ~ Kelly Marks
Offered by becksdvds-co-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant horse training ideas that make you and your horse have fun, 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Top Marks with Kelly Marks (DVD)
This series is something we have needed for a long time. Something that gives us serious training ideas and fun things that help to train our horses too. Everyone in the video is enjoying what they do, including the horses! Kelly Marks shows us her 'problem' horse American Pie as he is now -- mannerly mentor to the newcomers -- and how she and he give confidence to young horses before she even gets on their backs. Katie Gormley's excellent editing gives us scenes we can all relate to and maintains the seriousness of the subject. If you want a perfect horse here's how you can achieve it and have fun from the start. Top Marks gets top marks from me.

The Giza Power Plant: Technologies of Ancient Egypt
The Giza Power Plant: Technologies of Ancient Egypt
by Christopher Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars well that explains the how - anyone know who?, 25 Jun. 2011
I had to read this book after seeing a reference in The Greatest Lie Ever Told. There is so little research that is done into finding and establishing facts about the pyramids and too much guesswork and speculation that is put about as fact with no basis in research. Christopher Dunn writes as someone who has an enquiring, analytic mind and a practical engineering background. He is open to possibilities, but they have to make some sense, even if they do infer origins beyond our current knowledge, or even comprehension.

Dunn looks at what is there, uses his knowledge of science and engineering and says "What if?" The answers he supplies make sense within the parameters of the evidence he provides to support his thesis. They will never make sense to anyone who wants to take the "that can't be possible" view. Even the mathematics alone show that a few thousand primitive men with ropes and ramps weren't building anyone a tomb! If you want to know what the Giza pyramid complex is, read this book, it makes more sense than anything you've heard about the pyramids so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2012 11:05 AM GMT

The Second Advent: Disciples
The Second Advent: Disciples

5.0 out of 5 stars the greatest lie ever told in fiction, 18 Jun. 2011
I had not long read Uffington's The Greatest Lie Ever Told. That told me the facts that had long been hidden about Christianity. Disciples puts the characters into fiction, clearing up the lies that had been told. A bizarre coincidence, nothing ever really is. Not even the bizarre link to the same references about quantum consciousness in both books, or that both authors have strong german links.

Disciples was a fast moving gripping story. It was plausible, yet unpredictable. It was a book I wanted to finish, yet one that I didn't want to end. Now I want to know what is hidden in the box, what the Vatican will do next and how Steiner meets his sticky end. If this is Lex's first book, we shall certainly see many more and I'll be reading them all.

Read How We Died
Read How We Died
by Andrea Grieveson

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for anyone who expects to die one day, or knows someone who might, 10 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Read How We Died (Paperback)
I met Andrea and her husband Alan many years ago and naturally later read her book. The book gives a fascinating insight into the world we enter at death. The people you meet in the book were channelled by Andrea's husband who is a trance medium. The subjects chose the book's title as it tells what they recounted, what happened when they died. Andrea wrote down their story.

The people you meet in the book all died unexpectedly, some as adults some as children. They describe what happened to them at the time, how they felt (confused mostly) and how they exist as a group of individuals with shared experiences, who got together to help people who die unexpectedly when they arrive on the other side of the life we are in now.

When you read the book, you feel you are listening to someone sitting in the room with you recounting a story. The stories give you such an amazing insight into what happens when someone dies suddenly. It also gives you a lot of reassurance about the experience of death. I particularly like the story of the dead businessman who wanted the police to arrest the man whose car he had collided with for dangerous driving, when he himself was the dangerous driver and how when he had died, he recognised that at least the ambulance had taken him to a private hospital, so they knew he was well off. It took him a while to recognise the truth of his status and of his situation. Now he sees the funny side of it and the story made me smile.

I have used the book in school RE lessons when teaching views of what happens when we die and the home in which my aunt spends her days in an unknowing state of dementia has copies too. My mother-in-law recently asked for a copy after my father-in-law died last year aged 94. No matter what you believe or who you are, this book will have something worthwhile to say to you. You have to read it, if you don't believe it's possible you've nothing to lose and if you think it might be, you've much to gain.

Reunited: How to meet loved ones again who seem lost to death
Reunited: How to meet loved ones again who seem lost to death
by Paul Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars life on the other side - a must read before you die, 3 Mar. 2011
The book is a fascinating explanation of what St Paul described as 'looking through a glass darkly.' We all wonder what happens after we die, most of us experience the sadness of bereavement, often many times. Now we can read about the work of medical practitioners to reintroduce us to our loved ones after they have died - an approach to bereavement counselling now used in medical institutions.

Whether you believe in life after death or not, this book gives an intriguing and informative look at life on the other side. After all, there's nothing to lose, but there's a lot you could gain.

The Greatest Lie Ever Told
The Greatest Lie Ever Told
by W. H. Uffington

5.0 out of 5 stars from Horror to Hope - with some quantum physics en route, 14 Feb. 2011
I'd read Freke & Gandy, so what I found wasn't the shock it'll be to some. What I didn't expect was such a clear and coherent picture of all the intrigue and lies behind Judaism as well as Christianity; backed up with evidence -- in some cases from the University of Tel Aviv. If the jewish archaeologists are prepared to put their religion under the spotlight, there's some hope that the Catholics might follow suit. But that isn't all.

The book builds a fascinating picture of Akhenaten, the man it seems who gave us the God we all know and some love. The mystery is at last solved of why his image was obliterated and his figure distorted. That's not the only mystery that gets a solution. We find out who Mary Magdalene was, with credible sources to support the explanation.

I love a good mystery and I love a good plot, so I was enthralled to read what's underneath the Sphinx and how Paris links the Templars to Isis and John the Baptist links Orion to the Freemasons. Of course we find out who doesn't want you to know this and how they covered it up.

Where it all takes us is into the Afterlife. I won't spoil the ending, but you'll be really surprised when you find out who's at the cutting edge of research into mediumship and electronic voice phenomena.

But the message is serious, in spite of the witty style of writing, we have most of us been duped: quantum physics points to a universal consciousness that may or maybe not be God and there are important lessons to be learned about our responsibilities on earth, which have repercussions in the Afterlife, whether we believe in it or not.

If you want to unravel the truth about an aspect of religion, or just to understand how history gets distorted, or you want confirmation that the only path to spiritual enlightenment is the one you're already on, then you'll be shocked, puzzled and annoyed, but when you've learned the truth, it brings a happy ending to The Greatest Lie Ever Told.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 9:54 AM GMT

The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs
The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs
by Timothy Freke

5.0 out of 5 stars at last it makes sense, 14 Feb. 2011
I knew it was a good book, but thanks to Freke & Gandy, they made it a good read too. Excellent reference, thought provoking and now understandable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3