Profile for Anna Bohac > Reviews

Content by Anna Bohac

Anna Bohac "Zizzani" (UK)

MP3 Alarm Clock Radio Cube - Great Stocking Filler
MP3 Alarm Clock Radio Cube - Great Stocking Filler

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected..., 31 Mar. 2011
Admittedly, I didn't buy this item from Amazon. However, I can provide a useful review:
When the item first arrived I was a little surprised to find that it needs batteries and is not actually able to be plugged in anywhere without the use of a separately bought 6V adaptor, so not hugely cost effective as I have to keep buying batteries.
The cube doesn't actually "dock" the iPod, it has a small white wire plug coming out of the top with no real place for the iPod to sit: It has to be lain on top. Not only this but when I tried to use my iPod as an alarm it didn't work, the normal beep of the cube woke me up.
Also, the time display is very small and when the cube is turned to "off", although the time is still displayed it is not lit - this was particularly annoying for me as I often pop my head into my room to check the time and with this product I was not able to simply see the time from the door, I had to fully enter the room and draw close to the cube.
The aerial for the radio had no fault in itself but unfortunately I found that the sound quality of the radio was variable dependent on where I stood in my room - also annoying as I walk around a lot and dance.
I have to say, despite these cons I found the instructions simple and easy-to-follow ,and the general sound quality of the cube was rather good. Unfortunately though I found this product to be nothing more than a glorified speaker that didn't actually deliver what I'd hoped for.

Japanese from Zero! 1: Proven Methods to Learn Japanese with Integrated Workbook and Online Support
by George Trombley

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful learning tool!, 26 Sept. 2010
As a beginner to learning Japanese I found this book immensely helpful! It includes exercises, detailed yet easy to understand explanations of Japanese grammar, and a clever way of incorporating the Hiragana alphabet into learning the language. The only negative thing I would be able to think of is that it offers no tutorials on the Kanji stroke order (it does so for Hiragana stroke order). Despite that, I would whole-heartedly recommend this book to anyone who's starting out learning Japanese.

From Across The Sea
From Across The Sea

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for long walks., 26 Sept. 2010
This review is from: From Across The Sea (MP3 Download)
This band is like Explosions In The Sky but with singing included. As a film-maker I often find myself envisioning scenes that would fit this music (or rather scenes that this music would fit!). Very good food for thought.

How to be Adored
How to be Adored
by Caroline Cox

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite sweet., 26 Sept. 2010
This review is from: How to be Adored (Hardcover)
I ordered this book because a friend recommended it to me. It includes lots of pictures of celebrities (almost all female) and delivers some excellent styling tips from hair to make-up to diet. However, from the title I thought it would include something a little more... psychological, about what makes people tick and what appeals to them. Overall it was not quite what I was expecting but a good book nonetheless.

Tweezerman No-Slip Skin Care Tool For Blackheads
Tweezerman No-Slip Skin Care Tool For Blackheads

1.0 out of 5 stars Total let down., 26 Sept. 2010
After reading great reviews for this item I decided to get one for my blackhead problem. I immediately wished I hadn't! Not only were their no instructions on how to use this tool, when I eventually worked it out over Google it didn't deliver the expected results. For the price this is I would not recommend it at all, you can see better results by using your fingers.

Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii)
Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Satisfied, 25 Jun. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After reading many reviews of this game I decided to buy it and I'm glad I did!

Primarily I was a little worried about the difficulty level of the missions, and admittedly there were a few infuriatingly tricky ones that had me grinding my teeth and gripping the Wii remote and nunchuck at an almost crushing grip, but with a few attempts and the small guidance of online tips I managed to continue with the game. The graphics aren't the lifelike modelling that you get nowadays with games like "Assassin's Creed" but that said they were not disappointing, with very clear visual content and responsive believable movement.
I had been told a few times that this game was "like Grand Theft Auto but for schools" and, as it is made by the same people, others have quickly judged it as such stating that it encourages bullying in schools. However, as you progress with Jimmy's story, a 15-year-old boy "just trying to fit in", you quickly realise that the overall message is to combat and ultimately discourage bullying. The game is set out into about 5 chapters, each chapter in which you win over a faction/cliqué leader of the schools (such as preps, jocks, nerds, and the greasers) before finally facing an unlikely antagonist who has set out to destroy your social life. I particularly enjoyed the rewards and bonuses gained from attending class, such as bike upgrades being unlocked when you complete mechanics classes.

Overall, I thought this was a thoroughly charming game and I would thoroughly recommend it :)