Profile for Mr. S. Barr > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Barr

Mr. S. Barr (Surrey, England)

5 Pin din Male Plug to 2 x RCA Phono Plugs Screened Cable 1.2m
5 Pin din Male Plug to 2 x RCA Phono Plugs Screened Cable 1.2m
Offered by UKDJ - DFB Sound & Light Warehouse Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Great service, non-working cable, 14 Jan 2014
I ordered this express delivery, hoping it would arrive within a couple of days...and in fact it arrived lunchtime the day after I ordered it, so I was delighted. Unfortunately, the cable didn't work and I had to go buy another one, that did.

The Ankle Grabber (Creepies)
The Ankle Grabber (Creepies)
by Rose Impey

5.0 out of 5 stars A review by Toby Barr, age 7, 8 Dec 2012
This book is too good for me to say good enough things about it. I hope the other books are as good. I think it is very funny. It makes me think what is under my bed.

WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage
WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage
Offered by PANDY

3.0 out of 5 stars Not at-all Sufficient, 27 Oct 2011
There seem to be two types of reviews on here:

Type 1: "I've just got it and it's great..." and
Type 2: "I've lived with a for a while and it's awful..."

This is a Type 2 review.

I'll [almost] ignore the main complaint...which is that this NAS is painfully slow when doing anything wirelessly; wireless anything is bound to be slower than wired...although I have to say, this is the slowest piece of wireless kit I have by some margin.

Instead I'll focus on having lived with this NAS for a few weeks now.

What I loved was how simple the setup was - truly, I don't think anyone could make it easier to get the NAS to work so well done WD for that. And for the first couple of weeks the NAS - which is mainly used for my admittedly large audio collection - worked well, although it always takes ages to wake up when iTunes first tries to connect to it. But for the last fortnight, it has increasingly 'lost' the music stored on it. Increasingly often, I have to tell it where to find the audio files it has lost. At first it would lose some files but when I pointed out where to find one of the lost files, it would find lots of others it had also lost, but increasingly, it seems to find only the specific audio file, so I'm now resorting to having to tell it where a file is only to be told that the songs on the same album, which it also has - seemingly randomly - lost, can't be found either.

If I grab a previously uploaded CD, load it into my Mac, have iTunes burn it onto the NAS [again] and then come back a while later, if I'm lucky the NAS won't have lost one (or more) of the tracks, but I didn't buy a NAS to keep uploading discs or to keep telling it where the files are.

As a media server then, it started out brilliantly and has ended up - in just a few weeks - as pretty annoying - it's not 'broken' but it is in a way worse, it's proved to be randomly unreliable. I love WDs 'dumb' storage drives and I will happily keep buying those, but I've decided this NAS is 'Not At-all Sufficient'.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2013 9:39 AM GMT

The Martian Ambassador
The Martian Ambassador
by Alan Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the Fairies!, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Martian Ambassador (Hardcover)
Ok, I have to say, I bought this book based on two things:

1. My knee-jerk purchase of anything to do with Mars; and

2. The mainly great reviews.

Now, I have to admit I haven't finished the book, which for me is a rarity indeed. What the book has got going for it is that it does evoke the turn of the century C19/C20 rather nicely and it's written in a way that I found engaging. And for the first few chapters I was 'happy'. It all came to a crashing halt when I started to read about 'cogitators' - computers to you and I - but run not on the usual steampunk cogs and gears, but instead by little green men. Not Martians, but fairies!!

It seems to me that the author has forgotten the rule that within the story, everything has to be believable. Now I love fairy stories, and often read them to my children, but they are obviously fairy stories. I also enjoy steampunk, but the idea that the two 'fit' together is simply silly. I was dragged out of my belief that this was a novel about the murder of a Martian - I can believe in Martians (or at least I can in a novel set in a time when many found them believable.)

A crashing fail then, made more obvious by the fact that the novel I am reading instead, by Christopher Priest, called 'The Space Machine', is a much better attempt at writing a 'War of the Worlds' type novel.

Synology DS211j 2-bay - No HDD - NAS Enclosure (No HDD Installed)
Synology DS211j 2-bay - No HDD - NAS Enclosure (No HDD Installed)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for non-teckies, 14 Jun 2011
Ok, first the good news...it took me no more than 10 minutes to fit two drives into the unit and the unit is, like others have said, a solid piece of kit.

A little less good news...it took a while for me to work out that because my drives were brand new and needed formatting, I needed to find a particular file on the CD, to do so. It was obvious...but only *after* I had found the file and the installation guide says nothing about it. Then there were a few hours of waiting for the discs to be formatted and then check for bad sectors....but I expected that.

Now the much less than good news...if you're not technically astute...you might be best taking a different route. I read one review which said the software was up to the typical Mac approach to software, well...it certainly does not 'just work'! This really is the kind of kit that for 'the rest of us' needs someone to set it up for us.

I couldn't get the iTunes server to work at all, which was the main reason I bought this (I have a large music collection)...and the manual is useless for troubleshooting. It really is written for people who have the time, patience and understanding of technical kit. The simplest thing for me to have done on reflection would have been to buy a bigger internal hard drive and hook a time machine to it. This stuff is getting sent back to Amazon and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

In summary, it probably is *me* that is the problem, but I'm the customers, so why should I not expect it to work straight from the box? This doesn't :-(
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2011 12:23 AM BST

Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Offered by Jasuli

4.0 out of 5 stars Proof that horror is mainly in the mind, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: Black Death [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
A surprisingly good little movie.

Whatever money was available was certainly spent thoughtfully. No hi-tech special effects but effects there were, and these mainly in the mind. I don't think I'll ever look at anyones toes in the same way again. The 'crunch' of one being snapped off with a torturer's clamp was horrible. I'm grateful the removal was heard rather than seen. Much of the movie's best horror effects were out-of sight, but it certainly wasn't out of mind. There was certainly blood and gore (although having just watched 'Centurian' I can say Black Death is 'restrained' in it's need to show you every splatter of blood).

The pustules of the plague were highly realistic (and disturbing).

The story actually worked rather well too, combatting the 'holy' warriors of the Church (a more misbegotten bunch would be hard to find) against the civilised (at least on the surface) villagers. In the end, what I took from the movie was the disturbing lengths that good people on both sides will go to, to protect a way of life they think is right.

The actor playing the young priest - I've seen him in nothing else - was excellent. The scene where he realises the consequences of his own actions, the fatal mistake he made by not questioning an assumption about the necromancer's actions -an assumption I too had swallowed earlier in the movie (If you've seen the movie you'll know exactly what I mean) - was heartbreaking.

Sean Bean was, well Sean Bean. He's the same in every movie I've seen him in; if you like him you'll like what he does here. I found him quite believable, but rather dull.

This is not a 'fun' movie, but if you like historical fiction and you'd rather have plot and atmosphere over special effects and American saccharine, you will probably 'enjoy' this. The obvious label is 'blood and guts' but that hides some quite serious questions about life and right action. If I had made this movie, I'd be rather proud of it.

One gripe: the end of the movie felt tacked on and to my mind unnecessary. Watch it and make your own judgement; it doesn't spoil the movie, but there was an obvious ending 5 minutes earlier which I think was more suitable. Don't let the last five minutes put you off though. Watch and 'enjoy'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2010 10:27 PM BST

Smetana: The Moldau; Vysehrad / Liszt: Les Préludes; Mazeppa; Hungarian Rhapsody No.4 (DG The Originals)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good surprise!, 7 Sep 2010
I'm tempted to start by saying this is a CD in two parts and it is - part Liszt and part Smetana.

Liszt I've heard on and off for years and he's never really rocked my boat; Smetana I'd never heard of till I heard the Moldau on Classic FM and thought 'Wow!'

So, when I bought the CD i was expecting 'boring boring...' from the Liszt pieces and I had high hopes for the Moldau.

Except, I also know that Karajan is rarely involved with anything that doesn't work, so I knew buying this was a safe thing to do.

But it's all much better than safe. I was wrong about the three Liszt pieces. In the week I've had the CD, I've noticed that all three of the Liszt pieces have been listened to a lot. And the Smetana pieces? Well, the Moldau rocks my boat- it's great - high energy without grating - Wagner for people who like their notes in the right order....! But it's "the High Castle" which I love more. A little less obvious perhaps, but fabulous to listen to, just plain fabulous.

If you stick to to the big boys - Mozart, Beethoven and co. - I'd say try this; I think you're going to enjoy it.

Orchestral Suites
Orchestral Suites

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignorant bliss :-), 7 Sep 2010
This review is from: Orchestral Suites (Audio CD)
I read with genuine interest the previous reviewer's comments, not least because that person clearly knows Rimsky-Koraskov much better than I, and these pieces much better too. So, when reading the rest of my review, please bare in mind that I am completely new to R-K.

I first heard this album in HMV in London and thought 'gosh...'. Not the most defined sentiment but I found myself listening.... to a composer I'd never heard before and therefore pieces I'd never heard....

I found myself thoroughly enjoying what I was listening to and bought the album. I haven't a clue whether the composer tends to 'carry on for too long...' as the previous reviewer suggested, and I bow to their clearly superior knowledge... but you know, I enjoyed two things:

1. the music - it flowed and took me along with it; and
2. I couldn't tell that the conductor/orchestrator had hacked it... my 'fault' no doubt.

I listen to a lot of music - all forms - and what I enjoy about this is simply that it makes me smile. I'd like to say something 'smarter' because I have a feeling there is something 'smart' in this music that I can't express, but I like it, i really do.

The nearest to something 'smart' I can come up with is that unlike most Russian music, it feels 'smiley'. If Hubert Parry was a Russian, maybe this is the kind of music he would write. It's obviously Russian, but almost English too. No one does a gentle smile like Williams, Parry and co. can do. If I didn't know this was R-K, i'd think was some great English composer trying to be a bit 'Russian'. Ok, now I do sound pretentious so I'll stop!

My four stars are given because of what I hear and how it makes me feel. It is 'real' R-K? The previous review knows the answer to that way better than me.

Enjoy - I do.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2010 10:59 AM GMT

Franklyn [DVD] [2008]
Franklyn [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Eva Green
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars The left hand of...something, 21 Nov 2009
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Sci-fi? I don't think so. But then, what would I call it? I really don't know.

I do know that it's clever (when so few films are) that the acting is excellent, that the reason the scenes in 'Meanwhile city' just don't feel quite right is because they are not supposed to, that as a 'sci-fi' film, this is something even my wife (who hates sci-fi) would watch and enjoy.

In a word this film is about 'damage'. I could also say 'perception', but I think 'damage' is the right word. All the characters have burdens; all have their own distorted view of the world in which they live. The way they are all connected to each other doesn't become clear until the last few minutes of the film, when the ending becomes obvious, painful and at least in one respect (but only one) redeeming.

An excellent film; a thoughtful film; proof that you don't need $100m and a film laden with special effects and bereft of story, to get results. If you're looking for aliens, don't bother. If you're looking for a thoughtful, moving story about the humanity of being human, try it, you might be surprised. I was.

The Andromeda Strain: Series 1 [DVD]
The Andromeda Strain: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benjamin Bratt
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars You'd be better off eating your toes!, 18 April 2009
It's not often that I'm moved to write a review, so this mini-series has to be pretty special to motivate me to do so. Is it the worst thing I've ever seen? No. But it is, nonetheless, truly awful.

It takes real talent to take one of Michael Crichtons best, most scary books and, spending as much money as these guys obviously did, create a dreadful, thoughtless, emotion-bereft travesty that only a moron could find interesting. Comparing this travesty to the original 70s movie, which kept much of the dark undertones of the book, is pointless. There is literally, nothing redeeming in it at all, other than the fact that eventually, it ends.

I'd love to give this zero stars. Save your money - eat your toes instead!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2010 11:01 AM GMT