Profile for P. D. Fortes Mayer > Reviews

Buckminster Fuller
Buckminster Fuller
by Cole Gerst

3.0 out of 5 stars Cartoons over content, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Buckminster Fuller (Hardcover)
Nice idea. Well executed. As a Bucky fan I had to have it. Probably a little too basic even as an introduction.....

Equal Exchange Organic Italian Blend Coffee 500 g
Equal Exchange Organic Italian Blend Coffee 500 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, tasty, nutty with low acidity - my coffee beans of choice, 1 Jan. 2013
I have been using this brand of beans for over 10 years.

Not because of the ethical reasons. ( although that is nice)

These are simply, in my opinion, the best quality beans you can buy.

Occasionally I will try an alternative, I am always disappointed. And head straight back to this product.

Joseph Joseph Rocker Garlic Crusher
Joseph Joseph Rocker Garlic Crusher
Offered by Almadinah

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty useless, 30 Oct. 2011
This pretty design sucked me in with great promise. The aesthetics are smashing. The ergonomics are fine. Unfortunately The results are poor. This device creates pellets of garlic that are way too big and because of the thickness of the steel it leaves half a clove stuck in the hexagonal cutting surface. I really wanted this to be a Rolls-Royce it just does not live up to the price.
iin summary; the blades are not really sharp enough and the holes are too big it is easy to clean and it does look pretty.

Sony HDRPJ10EB Handycam Camcorder - Black (30x Optical Zoom, 3.3 MP, 3 inch Touch LCD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and simple, 8 Aug. 2011
What a great bit of kit.
Simple to use, great results, astonishing zoom, projector works well and shoots well in all light conditions.
I have plugged it into a Mac and a PC - just works a treat - was messing about in iMovie and Window movie maker in next to no time.
Plugged it into an HD projector onto a 106 inch screen the HD results are fantastic.
It could focus a little faster is the only niggle I have.
With kit this good and this price YouTube better start investing in more storage space because there is going to be an explosion of high quality movies going on-line.
Very impressed with this camcorder - it ticks the cool box and delivers great results. If your previous movies have been from the movie mode of digital camera you are going to be so delighted with this solid piece of technology.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2011 4:25 PM GMT

Panoview DE-9106EGA 106" 16:9 Electric Projector Screen
Panoview DE-9106EGA 106" 16:9 Electric Projector Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Panoview Electric Projector, 22 Dec. 2009
106" is a big screen - The box it comes in is just over 3m - but then what would you expect. It's heavy, which is a good sign. this is a fine quality screen.

The wall attachement is simple and flexible with a track at the rear of the screen that allowed it to be mounted on a chimney breast with ease.

The power lead is probably a little short, but given that you will be setting a screen in a semi permanent position I cut the wire and connected it to a cable that I chased into the wall.

The I.R. remote works really well. It comes with an I.R. extender as well - this gives two I.R. capture points simultaneously. The remote control works from anywhere in the room.

I did not try the 12V remote trigger but was impressed that it came with a long lead for this purpose.

The electric motor is not the quietest but it lowers and raises the screen with suitable poise. We use the room so frequently, as a cinema, that we are now rarely raising the screen.

The white is fairly matt and the HD picture I am getting using a SANYO PLV-Z700 is awesome. The screen keeps pretty flat - it's not tab tensioned which is reflected in the price. The black borders are 5cm at the sides and bottom. The top has a good 30cm of black. This was ideal as we have gone for a cinematic pelmet in front of the casing. So the box is completely hidden.

Everybody that sees the picture is amazed at the quality.

For the first week or so the screen gave off quite a pungent fresh plastic / petrochemical odour. Leaving the screen down for a few days seems to have eliminated this.

I spent a huge amount of time researching screens, measuring the space and calculating throw distances before chosing this sceren. I am confident that I got the best screen available for the price.

It's a great screen - works well. love it love it love it.

Highly recommended
Comment Comment | Permalink

20 Questions Challenge
20 Questions Challenge

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and a little weird, 29 Jan. 2006
This review is from: 20 Questions Challenge (Toy)
When I thought of Uranium thinking that would be pretty tough I was more than a little suprised that it got it in 20 questions.
However much you think you understand how to play the game it show how cold reading must be just a simple act of asking the right question - More accurate than a palm reader this gave us plenty of fun over Christmas - a great gift for an 8 year old

The River Cottage Meat Book
The River Cottage Meat Book
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR VEGETARIANS or Mrs Beeton for the new millennium, 29 Jan. 2006
I have a shelf of cook books that stretches 6ft wide, one of those enormous cube things you get flat packed from Ikea that takes 3 men and a donkey with a degree in tessellation to get in the car and Herculean strength to get it out at the other end and then you still have to put it together. That said, it holds a vast array of superb cook books including; Nigel, Nigella, Jamie, Gordon, Rick, Anthony (Bourdain), Anton (Mossiman) and Delia just to mention but a few.

Hugh, yes after this book I feel that we are on first name terms, does something the others don't seem to manage. Don't get me wrong I love Appetite by Mr Slater - his recipes are simply awesome. Try the mushroom pie in puff pastry - WOW. But Hugh, he lets you into his world and tells you his thoughts and ideas, nothing is held back, it's like he did not mean to create such a massive tome, he just got carried away and had to tell the whole story or else you would be missing out.

Take Cassoulet as an example, It's not just a recipe it's a conversation piece, you get to know about the deep politics behind what could, should or might go in it. Render the fat, crush the garlic, pick the bay leaves, make the confit, soak the beans, dice the pork rind, cube the belly pork, brown the meat each step is easy to do and no longer is it unachievable.

These recipes are not dumbed-down.
They are not patronising.
They are not precious.
They are just real and straight forward.

Follow them as your guide on a journey of culinary experience and you will create some meals that you would not have dared to contemplate. He just arouses so much curiosity that rather than just read the text and looking at the pictures he motivates you to be a better cook and probably a more conscientious carnivore.

It seems sad to call this a favourite cook book when this is so much more. Perhaps this is the Hitch Hikers guide to the galaxy of meat, I'm not sure but I just love this book and don't want to know anyone that disagrees.

Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger
Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up in the morning and all you want is Toast, 24 Sept. 2003
Page one I was laughing out loud - by spaghetti I had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks as I read extracts to my wife in between drying my eyes because I was laughing so hard.
The last book that made me laugh out loud was catch 22 - Toast is far easier to read and far more funny.
This book is a splendid multi course feast of events catalogued by food - Nigel you are a master story teller. If you remember your childhood with taste and smell this is the book for you - I'm only glad that we did not have our own Aunt Fanny.
10 out of 10 - you must read this pungent book.

Design Heroes - Buckminster Fuller
Design Heroes - Buckminster Fuller
by Martin Pawley

5.0 out of 5 stars Large Pocket Classic, 7 May 2003
This is a superb collection of the life and works of Buckminster Fuller. Easy to read. Well presented and a delightful insight to a complex man.
Highly recommended

Cinema Paradiso [VHS]
Cinema Paradiso [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope & Love, 27 April 2003
This review is from: Cinema Paradiso [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first saw Cinema Paradiso by chance - I was at Manchester University and a member of the Film Society that put on obscure art house films - having sat through some truly dreadful movies - one particular Japanese film was an epic hell! My expectations were tempered. The hall in the student union had bad plastic seats a fairly small screen with a dreadful sound system. (With hindsight this probably added to the romance of the film Manchester's own version of The Paradiso.)
From the opening credits I was captivated - I now have 1 VHS copy 1 DVD and 1 VHS - Directors Cut - and before that I used to rent it out from the Library.
This film is a masterpiece - every shot makes you believe and feel that you are in that little town.
The music captivates your spirit and will forever be entwined with the images.
For men that believe they should not be seen to cry at a film - do not go as you will fail. I cried for the last half hour of the film - tears rolling down my face - and then for about half an hour afterwards - My new girl friend at the time - who seemed far less affected was incredibly embarrassed - she did not last long!
This film is a full mental regression from youth through puberty and beyond - the directors cut feeds the mind with more detail and tragedy than I could have coped with on the first viewing - but as the blinkers are removed you never want to go back - I love both editions.
This is my favourite film - because it is the Mona Lisa of cinema.