Profile for Steve65 > Reviews

Content by Steve65

Steve65 (Durham, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
3m - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable by Cablesson - (VIDEO Adapter lead for Apple iMac- Unibody MacBook - Pro - Air & PC with Mini DP etc.)**Supports Audio and New Thunderbolt Port** Full HD 1080p 24k Gold Plated
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, 13 Nov. 2012
I bought this to connect a 2009 macbook pro to the tv and it works excellently.
Unfortunately the macbook pros dont deliver audio over hdmi until the 2010 version, but a separate audio connection to the TV is not a big issue.
This cable makes it really useful to use the macbook as a second Sky receiver using the Sky Go service, great for watching online football on the big screen!

(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
(Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Recommended, 13 Nov. 2012
Bought this TV for the kitchen to replace an ageing iMac that was used for TV/Movies/Music/Photos.
Excellent picture (after tweaking), compact size, good sound and great functionality.
Has BBC iPlayer and ITV player, which were automatically downloaded when I first turned the TV on.
Also has very good DLNA connection, Samsung TVs tend to play almost any digital video file you can throw at them including MP4, AVI and MKV. If you've got a DLNA server then this TV will let you watch all your own movies, listen to music and view your photos (I recommend the free Universal Media Player for Mac).
If you dont have a DLNA server then you can play files from an attached USB drive.

I hate to knock one star off, but I feel I need to, as this TV DOES NOT HAVE HD FREEVIEW. I dont know what Samsung were thinking but this is a shame on such a capable little TV. HD pictures from other sources are outstanding.

Excellent TV in every other respect though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2013 9:23 PM GMT

IVSO® Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Galaxy Note 8.0 Micro USB Host OTG Cable - Micro USB B/Male to USB2.0 A/Female OTG Host Cable for Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Galaxy Note 8.0 (OTG Cable ONLY)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with Nexus 7, 31 Oct. 2012
A simple cheap, sturdy cable that allows you to transfer files from a usb device to your Nexus 7.
Works well with the 'Nexus Media Importer' software available on the Play store and no need to root your device.
A 16gb Nexus 7 is great for most things, until you want to load it up with videos for the kids for your 2 week holiday.
Just put your files on a usb stick and use this cable instead.

Very good.

Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet Black (Final Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 31 Oct. 2012
I really like this type of case with the hard close fitting shell back and the flip cover. I already have similar cases for my Kindle Touch and iPad.
I've had it about 3 weeks now and it really protects the Nexus 7 well. To be honest I wasn't to bothered about protecting the back as the Nexus has a nice tough back finish anyway, but I did feel I needed to protect the screen, especially when its thrown into a bag or a (big) pocket.

One of the main (and also understated) advantages of this case is the flock-like surface on the inside of the front cover, this does an excellent job of cleaning the Nexus screen when it is closed. As with nearly all tablet devices, screen smear is a real problem, but this type of case almost eliminates it completely. The case is worth it for this advantage alone.

The magnets to hold the cover closed are also a good idea, although I cant help feeling that the design could have been slightly better to reduce the bulk of the right hand side, this sometimes makes operating the volume buttons a bit fiddly, a minor point really.

All in all though a top class product that works well, feels sturdy and doesn't look cheap.

Micro USB Retractable Charger Data Cable For Kindle 3
Micro USB Retractable Charger Data Cable For Kindle 3
Offered by SWEETY LIFE

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Useful, 31 Oct. 2012
Bought 3 of these as they are handy for charging stuff like Kindles, compatible phones and tablets.
I can leave them at work, home or in my bag and they are so cheap it doesn't matter (£0.98 each).
They are probably not the most durable item I've ever bought but you can't complain at the price.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 2:14 PM GMT

AZATOM Tune-Stream ***Turn your Docking Station into a Wireless Bluetooth Speaker*** Play Wireless Music from any iPhone, any Bluetooth-enabled Mobile - Tablet - Laptop (including Samsung, Sony, HTC, Blackberry's and all other Bluetooth MP3 Players). Requires No Seperate Charging. Allows you to control your music wirelessly. Very Simple to use. Create your wireless speaker system at a fraction of the cost of investing in a new docking station.
Offered by AZATOM DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Oct. 2012
Does exactly what its supposed to do, works great in JBL speaker dock.
Now we can connect any bluetooth enabled device to the speakers, oh and we don't have to buy an iPhone 5 dock adaptor!
Has worked so far with iPhone, iPad, Nexus 7 and Galaxy tab.
Top marks!

Just one thing to be aware of, it needs to be powered by the dock itself, therefore if your speakers do not currently charge your docked iOS device then this will not work.

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish product, ok company after persevering. (updated), 29 Oct. 2012
If I could give this product zero stars then I would.
It was purchased in Sep and within 3 weeks it started acting up, it would lock up for no reason and there was no way to bring it back to life, randomly it would resurrect itself hours later or with a random button press.
However I persevered with it, trawling the forums for solutions I reformatted it, manually updated the firmware, edited my mp3 ID tags etc etc etc. absolutely nothing helped.
I then decided to return it to Amazon only to discover I was now 10 days outside their 30 day return policy.
So I contacted Sansa and got a stock answer to try all the things I had already tried.
Then Sansa offered to replace the device if I returned it to the Czech Republic at MY OWN EXPENSE and waited 2-4 weeks for a replacement.
What a joke...
This is a good example of only getting what you pay for.
Don't touch it.

edit 1 Nov 12 : Sansa have now agreed to replace this product without charging me for the cost of postage (as a gesture of goodwill only).
I still stand by my review though, this product has caused more grief than it was worth, maybe I have just been unlucky along with 25% of the other reviewers.

Oh, and comments about the product are helpful to others, comments about me are not, thanks ;)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2012 12:04 AM GMT

ATM Bank
ATM Bank

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: ATM Bank (Kitchen & Home)
If I could give this zero stars I would.
This is an overpriced piece of plastic rubbish. Broke after about a week.
Door wont open, keeps resetting itself within 2 minutes of setting it all up again.
This means that you continually cannot get the money out.
And as for the annoying shouty witch voice that it uses, well I can't politely comment.
The science museum should be embarrassed associating their name with such tat.
One disappointed child and one angry and poorer adult.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2012 5:59 PM GMT

HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter 200Mbps with Mains Pass Through
HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter 200Mbps with Mains Pass Through

1.0 out of 5 stars No., 9 July 2011
Based on my experience of buying various 85mb and 200mb homeplugs, I would definitely say don't waste your money.
Unless you live in a very small house with new clean circuitry then forget it.
They constantly 'hang' and need rebooting, I suspect that all of these homeplugs are just too sensitive to noise fluctuations (ie the central heating kicking in or the kettle being turned on).
I persevered for nearly 2 yrs with different manufacturers and configurations before giving up (approx £200 poorer!).
I work in IT and these things just dont cut it at all.
btw my house is only 20yrs old so my wiring cant be that bad, I also have 2 colleagues who have both given up on the homeplug route.
Oh and if you're looking for help then forget Solwise.

JBL Duet II Two Piece Computer Speaker System - Black
JBL Duet II Two Piece Computer Speaker System - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 9 July 2011
Update: Feb 2012
I've downgraded this to ONE star, the speakers have now failed 3 TIMES.
Am trying to get a refund but Harman UK are bouncing me back to Amazon.
Will never buy Harman JBL again.

I bought these speakers as a present for relatives, and whilst I dont particularly like the styling myself they do sound pretty good.
They're by no means earth shattering but are ok for day to day use. If you really want something to replace your hi-fi then trust me you need to be spending £100+ on 'fatter' speakers.
The BIG DOWNSIDE for me is that the power supply blew after about 6 months use, not a massive deal as it was replaced free of charge BUT i also own a set of JBL radial speakers and exactly the same thing happened to them about a year ago!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4