Profile for sinoyak > Reviews

The Circle
The Circle
by Dave Eggers

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for the social media generation, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Circle (Hardcover)
If I could Zing about this book I would.

I was going to give it 5 stars but then decided on 4 to see if Dave Eggers will follow up the review and ask for top marks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2014 2:43 PM GMT

Pentax K-30 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm DAL Lens Kit - Black (16MP, CMOS APS-C Sensor) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Technomobiles

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good in low light, 3 Jan 2013
Bought this just before Christmas 2012 and have since taken a good couple of hundred shots with it. It's a good camera, solidly build, and feels like a real quality product. As other reviews have noted, it has excellent image quality and produces very little noise even in low light conditions. Once you get the hang of it, the interface is very intuitive and I am happily using manual / bulb modes most of the time. That said, the auto and scn presets produce some very good results. Yes, the auto-focus is noisy but I don't really care about that. The standard 18-55mm lens does leave something to be desired and seeing as the camera body is allegedly weather-proof (I have only used mine in very light rain but it was fine) then it could make sense to get a WR lens, rather than the bog-standard kit. I'd also recommend a shutter remote to make the most of the camera's IR remote sensor, and a tripod to take advantage of its excellent low-light capabilities. If I had two minor bugbears about the camera, they would be these - first of all battery life hasn't proved to be as good for me as other reviewers claim it can be - but then the facility for putting in AA batteries is useful. Secondly, the manual that comes with it is less than helpful when it comes to explaining how to get the most of the camera - for example it has several HDR settings but tells you almost nothing about them. But overall, I felt that this was a great buy for the price I paid for it (Dec 2012) and I highly recommend it.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Feb 2012
I bought these as a cheap replacement from my aged Sennheiser HD490s after my toddler ended their 12-year life by smashing them against a chair. As a result, I wasn't expecting outstanding sound quality but was expecting a certain level of value for money.

Unfortunately, I don't feel that value for money is what I have got for these headphones even at this price. The build quality is perfectly satisfactory, they look good and are comfortable to wear. But the sound quality doesn't even approach what I would expect from Sennheiser. The sound in the mid range in particular is thin and tinny. The bass is acceptable, but the headphones suffer from distortion as soon as you put the volume up beyond mid-level.

I noted that one reviewer said they would be happy with these headphones even if they had paid £100. I don't know what kind of £100 headphones they have been listening to but I cannot agree. The comparison between these HD201s and anything even £20 more expensive is night and day and I urge buyers to look elsewhere and spend a little more if they are after decent sound quality.

Ghostbusters (Xbox 360)
Ghostbusters (Xbox 360)
Offered by JosephGaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and funny!, 22 Jan 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Great fun - a game that just wouldn't have been as good if it had not been voiced by most of the original cast. There are some genuinely funny lines in here too, along with the semblance of a proper storyline. Anyone who remembers the films should enjoy this.

As for the gameplay, it is a hard game to master. There are a lot of controls - as is the case with some other Atari games I have played. The early stages, as you get used to trapping ghosts it can be a real challenge and seems to take ages - a bit too long perhaps. The 'boss' at the end of every level provides an extra challenge. In the latter stages of the game there are also some irritating sections where you are prompted to use new weapons like the 'slime tether' over and over again for various different reasons. That gets annoying.

All in all, fun, funny and satisfying to complete. The single player version lasts eight challenging episodes. You will feel like you have got your money's worth by the end.

Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360)
Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, original fun, 8 Jan 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game recently at a low price having never heard anything about it. I love it. It is very stylish and offers something original. Some people compare it to Assassin's Creed but it is so much better than that in my opinion. The free running is absolutely core to this game. Some have complained that the combat is clunky, and it is. But the combat is mostly avoidable. There are some parts where you do have to fight but I have completed the game without having to use a gun and hardly having to disarm anyone - you just have to be fast.

I love the fact that you are rewarded gamer points for NOT shooting people - how refreshing. It can be frustrating that you have to do some sections of the game again and again. There is no denying it is difficult and you will fall of buildings / get shot / not be able to figure out where to go. But for some reason it rarely gets annoying. Maybe because you can take a fair few different routes and therefore it feels a little different each time. It is also satisfying to learn the route and be able to string together a good sequence of moves really quickly.

All in all, one of my new favourites for the Xbox - you won't be disappointed.

Angelcare AC401 Movement & Sound Monitor
Angelcare AC401 Movement & Sound Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 5 Jan 2010
I bought one of these a few months ago and didn't use it for ages. I have just taken it on holiday with my wife and five-month-old son. Neither my wife nor I could understand why we didn't use it before! It is fairly easy to set up (although you will need to follow the instructions) and then incredibly easy to use. We also found that the range was fantastic. We could leave the little one to sleep in a cot in our room, and go to the hotel restaurant almost 100m away without losing signal. The beep that the monitor emits when you do finally lose signal was also very handy. The monitor is incredibly unobtrusive and can be sound-activated so it only bothers you when the baby (or something near it) makes a noise. You can also adjust the sensitivity level to cut out background noise that isn't made by your baby if you want. The sensor pad served for extra peace of mind and worked well - whenever baby was removed from the cot the alarm went off. But beware of the wire. In normal wooden cots this is not a problem but we found that with travel cots the only place to run the wire is over the top of the cot in one of the corners. This is fine if your baby can't grab for things but if they can, be sure to put them in the cot in such a way that they can't reach it!

All in all, an excellent buy which I thoroughly recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2010 3:50 PM GMT

Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006]
Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Various Artists
Offered by rileys dvds

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching, 31 Dec 2007
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I bought this having watched Long Way Round and wasn't disappointed, even though the adventure Charley Boorman undertakes here is a lot different.

A really tense, exciting documentary. And you don't even have to be into bikes to enjoy it.

Long Way Down
Long Way Down
by Charley Boorman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sequel, 10 Nov 2007
This review is from: Long Way Down (Hardcover)
I went straight out to buy this book, having really enjoyed Long Way Round and Race To Dakar. I wasn't necessarily expecting more of the same - I knew from the start that their ride through Africa would have a very different feel to Long Way Round. And unlike a lot of newspaper reviewers, I don't have a problem with the fact that they did a lot of work for 'charidee' along the way. But this book was still a disappointment. The account of the journey lacked any really coherence and I didn't feel by the end of the it that they had undertaken a great adventure in the same way that they had on their previous trip. The book also referred at several points to tension within the camp and that seemed to be reflected in an awkward writing style and succession of rather flat jokes. I'd struggle to recommend this to anyone, either a fan or someone new to the series.