Profile for danny328 > Reviews

Michael Palin - Pole to Pole [DVD] [1992]
Michael Palin - Pole to Pole [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Michael Palin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Palin!, 7 Aug. 2004
I loved this when it was first on the TV back in the 80s and I love it now.
There is something very relaxing about travelling around the world without leaving the comfort of your own home.
Palin, by his own admission, often looking like a 'junior minister' in his shorts and hat, is always warm and engaging and the people he meets on his travels are a delight (with the exception of the miserable paper seller in London)
I have watched this many many times and have never got bored. Just writing about it makes me want to watch it again! A bargain I would say!

Textbook of Biochemistry with Clinical Correlations, 5th Edition
Textbook of Biochemistry with Clinical Correlations, 5th Edition
by Thomas M. Devlin

4.0 out of 5 stars A hefty but accessible tome, 7 Aug. 2004
I'm a medical student and it was the choice between this and Stryer's equally inimitable volume. Both have alot going for them - I think the Stryer is slightly more accessible but here Devlin provides a comprehensive reference for practically any biochemistry a medical student might require.
The clinical correlations are a life saver for assignments and although at first the book seems daunting, after a year with it is has become a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really rather good!!, 7 Aug. 2004
I used to be very prissy about this album. I remember eagerly queuing up to buy it when it came out in 1987, rushing home and feeling rather, well, disappointed...
I've come back to it over the last couple of years and actually if you just listen to it for what it is, an album with some remarkable musicianship on it, you find it's really rather good.
Gilmour shines with his guitar and although the 'depth' and 'meaning' of the Water's era might not be there - the music is still of a very high quality.
I find myself listening to this when I want to alleviate stress and not be too distracted. Go buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really rather listenable!, 31 July 2004
I used to be very prissy about this album. I've been a big Pink Floyd fan for years now and remember when this album came out I was first in line to buy it. At the time I was rather disappointed and thought it wasn't particularly good and lamented the demise of the band I knew and loved.
Returning to it over the last couple of years however, my opinion has changed. I think you need to disengage yourself from Pink Floyd's previous releases and just listen to this album for what it is - that is to say a very listenable 53 minutes of some fine musicianship. OK the songs might not be dripping with 'meaning' of the Waters era but Dave Gilmour's guitar playing more than makes up for it and he turns in a performance second to none.
I find myself listening to this album these days when I have a project to complete and need something soothing but engaging in the background. All in all very good...

Life for Rent
Life for Rent
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Evocative, 9 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
Dido's second album has very large footsteps to fill but on the whole I think it succeeds admirably. It is one of those albums that grows on you the more you listen to it and has some truly inspired, evocative lyrics that are really very moving. I find you can't help but finish listening to the album without feeling that you have taken on something substantial.
So thumbs up for the music
do buy this wonderful album by this very talented and beautiful woman.

Jack Dee: Live At The Hammersmith Apollo [DVD]
Jack Dee: Live At The Hammersmith Apollo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Dee
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Jack's best material but not bad, 9 April 2003
I love Jack Dee but this is the least funny of all his offerings. There are one or two moments that are absolute gems but on the whole I would recommend his Live and Uncut material or the classic Live at the Palladium.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds: JEFF WAYNE'S MUSICAL VERSION OF
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of the 1970s British music, 8 Mar. 2003
I love this album! It was the first album I ever bought in about 1979. I'd been badgering people for some money towards it for my eighth birthday and then, when the day finally came, I remember coming back on the bus with it proudly tucked under my arm. The original had a large picture booklet with some fascinating paintings of the Earth under the rule of the martians - I particularly remember the one of the crows picking at the flesh of hoods of the martian tripods and these are faithfully reproduced in the new CD booklet.
This is a very unusual record that is quite unlike anything else before or since. It features superb musicianship with classic thumping 70s basslines from the excellent Herbie Flowers and top vocal performances from the likes of Justin Hayward, Phil Lynott and David Essex. Richard Burton's narration is hypnotic and the words are strangely poetic in a way HG Wells' original book isn't.
The recording still sounds just as good to me today and the CD remastering brings it to life in new ways I hadn't heard before.
If you have never come across this album, I would highly recommend it as a strange and satisfying listening experience. If you had it years ago, why not renew your acquaintance with this 70's classic?

Ship to Shore
Ship to Shore

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent piece of British acoustic folk music, 18 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Ship to Shore (Audio CD)
I came across this album about 15 years ago because a friend's Dad had something to do with the production of it. It is a truly remarkable album with one of the strangest feels of any album I have heard. Hauntingly beautiful, incredible guitar playing - a timeless classic.

Roger Waters: In The Flesh - Live [DVD] [2002]
Roger Waters: In The Flesh - Live [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Roger Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Really very moving!, 4 Aug. 2002
I went to see Roger Waters on his last tour about fifteen years ago (now I feel old!) It is still the most memorable gig I have ever been to so when I saw this DVD available I bought it with eager anticipation.
I have to say I was not disappointed and although Gilmour, Wright and Mason are missed on the Pink Floyd stuff, on the whole this has more soul and integrity to it than any of the post-Waters Floyd efforts.
Musicianship is outstanding and I really was very moved as I recalled my own relationship with Waters' and Pink Floyd's music over the years. 'Dogs' is exceptional and in many ways better than the Floyd bootlegs I have heard.

Buy it, it is worth the money.