Profile for Susannah > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Go Stationery Letter writing set - Vintage Jack
Go Stationery Letter writing set - Vintage Jack

5.0 out of 5 stars cute! makes you want to keep in touch, 9 Dec. 2011
I love writing letter and think that this art is worth saving, since nobody sends them anymore. I bought this set as an incentive to use them all and send handwritten letters to all my friends.

The design of the product is very pleasant, and the quality of the paper is great. It is matte and writing on it feels good. The overall effect is of a classy, elegant and warm letter.
The envelopes are also cute and brightly coloured, with a friendly design of red, blue and white.

I only wish the paper was varied so I could diversify or send the same person letters with a different design. Next time I'll buy a bigger set with more designs. But as far as this one is concerned, all the recipients were delighted and I'm expected to receive their letter too now.
Letters are back! And how great it feels to receive something that personal and personalized as well.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and affordable, 8 Dec. 2011
I love collecting postcards and also have a huge collection of photos, old and new, taken by me of taken with me in them, and I never really get to enjoy the properly, so I thought displaying them all in the same place would be a great idea. This product is really easy to use, simple, with a basic design that leaves you the freedom to fill it up with your photos as you wish, whether they are landscape formats or portrait formats. You can hang it up easily and display it either on a door or on some wall.
The best part is that you can use the back side for 40 more photos or postcards and whenever you get tired of the ones you've had on display and this way you get twice the amount of photos to enjoy and switch back and forth from.
It is a great idea for displaying your favourite images and also a very cheap solution for it!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicate and comfortable stockings!, 8 Dec. 2011
These wool stockings are such a delicate and well made pair of stockings that I definitely recommend them to anyone who collects tights or who just wants to invest in a lovely pair of warm stockings. They are perfect to wear with either some thick trousers, no matter the length, or with a skirt or a dress, and their design is just so cute and yet elegant at the same time that it works well with more styles (if you are more traditional with your clothes or like to experiment and wear innovative combinations).

They really do keep my legs warm whenever I want to wear a dress or skirt and would normally think twice because of the cold.
I also think that the price is a good one, since you can wear them several ways and they don't get destroyed after washing them many times.
A five star design and quality!

Stocking with 3D Reindeer Head Christmas Decoration Gold & Cream - Size 48cm
Stocking with 3D Reindeer Head Christmas Decoration Gold & Cream - Size 48cm

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Xmas decoration and gift, 6 Dec. 2011
I bought this with the other models too, so as to get free shipping on all of them together, and was pleasantly surprised by their quality. They are well made and so cheap for what they look like! I find them adorable. We already put them around the mantle and they definitely add to the festive feel of our living room.
I tested them all to see how well they can hold enough weight for their fillings, and they passed the test: they all can bear good quantities of chocolate bars! I'm having extended family over, so there must be one for each of them. I haven't yet decided which one is getting which stocking...but I'm surely keeping the Reindeer: he's just too darling!

My advice is to get more of them at once: just one ends up being too expensive, and even if you don't need all of them for yourself, it makes for a nice little gift for some friends.

Kenwood BL335 1 Litre Blender - 350 Watt
Kenwood BL335 1 Litre Blender - 350 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use and reasonably priced, 25 Nov. 2011
This is my first blender, and I had my doubts when deciding to buy the Kenwood, since I hadn't heard too much about the brand and wasn't sure if I wasn't better off buying something more renowned, but after three weeks of using it, I feel safe to say that it has exceeded my expectations. I use it mostly for cream soups and for blending fruits in the morning, because my husband won't eat anything chunky and I feared he'd avoid fruit and veggies unless I found a compromise.

This Kenwood blender is very easy to use, is not as noisy as I noticed some blenders can be. The outcome is great: smooth thick soups and perfectly homogenous smoothies that both my husband and I enjoy thoroughly. I like the fact that it is not painstaking to clean it afterwards...a nice short wash does it, without there being any bits left in the machine.

All in all, my first experience with a Kenwood product was a positive one, and I will include it on my good list of electronic supplies providers.

Gazillion Bubble Machine
Gazillion Bubble Machine
Offered by YOYOS

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun times for all ages, 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Gazillion Bubble Machine (Toy)
Whoever said bubbles were only for kids were really wrong! Bought this as a joke for a friend of mine for her birthday and it turned out to be the smash of the party.

The only possible downside is the fact that you have to change the batteries every once in a while and also buy refills for the bubble liquid. But other than that, it's great that you only have to press a button and not worry about spilling the bubble liquid all over yourself when your huffing and puffing fail. It does make a lot of bubbles per press (I haven't counted them, so I'll just have to trust them and say it was thousands!).

Also, they come out in all sizes, not just tiny ones that pop too fast. We were chasing bubbles around and giggling like 8 year olds, making the neighbours roll their eyes. I might just buy one for myself. Always handy when you want to revert into a child again. Another aspect that I found great is that the liquid doesn't stain (and it is inevitable to run into the bubbles so thank heavens for that!).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 3:26 PM BST

Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg
Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in time, 25 Nov. 2011
A truly beautiful collection of songs that make you go back in time to the beginning of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin's romance. You can feel their creative energy as they sing, how wonderfully he uses her as a source of inspiration and she moulds herself and her voice to his advice.
A suave voice, her girlish tone, blends with such grace with his deep, caramel like lyrics. The words are all with double meaning, you can't escape a bit of innuendo when listening to Serge Gainsbourg, especially if he's singing with his muse and lover, Jane. The song Les Sucettes is notorious for its half-hidden meaning (little girls sucking lollipops? I highly doubt it!). Outrageous for their time, but not at all too explicit for our times, this duo has a magical quality to it.
A friend of mine told me something I found quite interesting: Jane doesn't look English. She's French now, transformed by singing so many French songs and loving a genius of French poetry and composing.
A collection of songs I highly recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2011 12:03 PM GMT

Herzog on Herzog
Herzog on Herzog
by Werner Herzog

5.0 out of 5 stars a great inside perspective, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Herzog on Herzog (Paperback)
A must have for any Herzog lover! The interviews in it are absorbing, much like reading a novel, since Herzog's life seems surreal. The book is full of his humorous remarks, his dead-pan style of looking at humour, personal stories and unusual advice for filmmakers.

I bought this book a while back, before an exam for a Film Study class and Herzog was one of the film makers I had to know about, since we had watched and discussed several of his films. I passed the exam with no difficulty, and it was mostly due to the fact that this book made me feel closer to Herzog's take on what movie making is all about, his beliefs, his modus operandi, his hardships and what made him become the out of the ordinary, rule breaking, mostly self-taught genius that we all love. The questions are not some bland lines you find in most interviews, but insightful and cleverly thought lines, making for a wonderful flow of question and answer.

While reading, you feel like you are witnessing the dialogue between the two, and you can almost hear Herzog when reading his answers. The division into chapters also makes it easier to find which topics are discussed in which part of the book. All in all a wonderful read, inspirational and definitely a step closer to understanding Werner Herzog!

Werner Herzog Box Set 2 [DVD]
Werner Herzog Box Set 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Helmut Doring
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

5.0 out of 5 stars A varied display of Herzog's talent, 14 Nov. 2011
I bought this set mostly because of the fact that it contains two of my favourite Herzog films: Stroszek and The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. However, I was glad that it contained other films by him that I did not know, because it gave me the occasion to know the less famous films by him.

While Stroszek is a film that I can watch time and time again, so tragic yet full of lessons (and the actor is such a wonderful example of Herzog's work with people that were not professional actors). Bruno S. brings his actual self to the screen, since the film is written especially for him. The story goes that Bruno was upset with Herzog for not casting him for Woyzek and using Kinski instead, so Herzog promised to write a script for Bruno, and gave it a name that sounds a lot like Woyzek.

The characters' trip to the Promised Land is also an incredible journey, because you feel the irony of their search for something better than their life in Berlin, only to discover that Wisconsin doesn't hold any Holy Grail or any answers for the meaning of life. The difficulties that appear when they try to talk in English are heart wrenching.
But moving on to the other films, Even Dwarves started small is a testament to Herzog's love of representing the marginalized, the voices of those who are less heard and also need to be portrayed. An allegory of rebellion and violence and the thin line between liberation and chaos, this film is at times both funny and disturbing, making you ask yourself a lot of questions on the absurdity of life and institutions.

Pushing Daisies - Complete Season 1 [DVD] [2008]
Pushing Daisies - Complete Season 1 [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Anna Friel

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical meets detective story meets romance!, 14 Nov. 2011
The very first frames of this TV Series are a sheer visual delight. It was from the start that I knew I had to own the entire set of episodes to replay whenever I needed to. There is an almost Tim Burtonesque feel to the imagery and also to the story-plot: a pie-maker who is a part time private-eye helper since he has the capacity to touch the dead and make them come back to life? Yes. You read just what I meant to write...But there's an added touch to it all: the main character, Ned, is witty, shy, full of retorts, very cute -from my point of view. However, he can only bring the dead back for sixty seconds without changing the balance of life as we know it, because otherwise someone in the vicinity will drop dead too. So if he touches whoever he's brought back, he'll make them dead again. That's handy for a quick sixty seconds investigation at the morgue to solve murder mysteries, huh?

The series is based on his love for Chuck, a gorgeous and equally witty girl he saved by touching her and bringing her back to life. Alas, he can never touch her again, else she drop dead forever this time. And what's more, she's his childhood sweetheart.

Sadly, the series only has two seasons, for reasons far beyond my power of comprehension, since it won multiple Emmy awards.
Full of puns, mystery, forensic clues and occasional musical outbursts, Pushing Daisies is the perfect combination of wit and beautiful imagery.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7