Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Vanishing Landscapes
Vanishing Landscapes
by Robert Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly beautiful book, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Vanishing Landscapes (Hardcover)
A collection of wonderfully printed and presented photos by a range of contemporary photographers. There are enough images from each artist to make them work as a set, and enough variety in style that you'll never get bored of looking at them.
The introductory text is a little trite, but don't let that put you off - you don't need to read the simplistic politicising to enjoy the images, or understand the deeply held concern for landscape and environmental issues that they present.

Land Matters: Landscape Photography, Culture and Identity (International Library of Cultural Studies)

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful if sometimes unhelpfully complex, 13 Jun. 2013
I bought this book because I'm engaged in a photography degree. It's a well referenced well structured review of current practises in Landscape photography, set in the context of historical developments in the genre. I refer to it regularly. The only real downside is that the language is sometimes unhelpfully - perhaps even unnecessarily - academic. Without this slightly pretentious feel I''d have given it 5 stars, but unless you're well versed in art speak you'll probably need access to a dictionary from time to time. I bought it on Kindle - now it's out of print you can buy a Kindle and the book and still save money compared with a hard copy!

Basics Creative Photography 03: Behind the Image: Research in Photography
Basics Creative Photography 03: Behind the Image: Research in Photography
by Anna Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable reminder of things l should have known, 3 Jan. 2013
Wish I'd bought this book sooner. For anyone treating photography as an academic subject or a tool to explore artistic or documentary themes this a very useful over view of good research practise, well illustrated and supported with helpful case studies.
Covers areas such as research sources, note taking and storage, referencing and the use of photography as a research tool - which was an eye opener for me.

The History of Japanese Photography (Museum of Fine Arts, Houston)
The History of Japanese Photography (Museum of Fine Arts, Houston)
by Anne Wilkes Tucker

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover - in real style, 3 Jan. 2013
An excellent and detailed summary of the history of Japanese photography from the introduction of the camera to the present day (or hereabouts).
Histories of photography tend to centre on America and Europe so this is a refreshing and often inspiring change. It is also extensively illustrated and the print quality makes me want to wear gloves while turning the pages.
If I have any complaint - and this is undoubtedly nit-picking - it is that current photographers are given relatively little coverage (with a few exception) so that their links to traditional Japanese art practice was not as well explained as I'd have liked. If I could knock off half a star I would but as I can't it gets the full 5-star treatment. It's a book I shall return to again and again.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me care about the characters, 23 Sept. 2012
Judging from my daughter's sneer I'm not the target audience for this book, which I came to after watching the movie. Frankly I don't care - because it was well enough written to make me care about the characters. In places you can tell from the language, the relatively simple sentence construction and the signposting that it's for a younger audience, but overall I found it enjoyable enough to purchase the second two parts immediately.The Hunger Games

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers

4.0 out of 5 stars Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book, 27 Sept. 2010
A comprehensive and well written guide to Lightroom 3 full of useful tips and info. It has already (in around a month) saved me hours of experimenting and online searching. I bought the Kindle edition as an always-with-me reference on my laptop, but it would be equally useful on the bookshelf next to your workstation.

If you like your reference books wacky, this isn't for you, as its written in a straightforward easy to understand and logical style. Worth every penny.