Profile for Captain Pike > Reviews

The Voyage Of Charles Darwin: The Complete Series [DVD]
The Voyage Of Charles Darwin: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Malcolm Stoddard

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Late Than Never, 25 Feb. 2015
I first saw this series when I was 14 and was bowled over by it. Why it has taken so long to be commercially released is a mystery, as 37 years on, it stil impresses.

At the time, this series was remarkable for the fact that it was shot on location, rather than a BBC studio and the Bristol Channel, but seeing it for the second time, several things stand out. Along with the quality of the writing and Wilfred Josephs' evocative music, I am particularly impressed by Andrew Burt's portrayal of Fitzroy, which brilliantly evokes the subtle complexities of that tormented man. Also, Malcolm Stoddard gives a fine performance of Darwin, from careless youth to old age.

The picture quality isn't brilliant. It doesn't look as if the slightly grainy original has been remastered and the sound wobbles occasionally, but it is just so good to have this series on DVD.

I think some may have regarded this series as a little 'worthy' and educational, but it is ultimately a very good drama, well-written, with a strong cast, that avoids sensationalism or melodrama, bringing a fascinating true story to life.

Lloyd / Symphony No 4
Lloyd / Symphony No 4

5.0 out of 5 stars A Neglected Gem, 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Lloyd / Symphony No 4 (Audio CD)
I can't help feeling that any attempt to describe this symphony will only diminish its unique brilliance, but if I have to sum it up, I'd describe it as a postmodern work that flirts with different genres, from pop to minimalism, with the same anarchic spirit as Schnittke. However, unlike some Schnittke, this symphony feels like a unified whole rather than a juxtaposition of opposing elements.

The musical language is broadly tonal and begins with a bland CDEFG motif, as if the work is newborn and confused, but grows organically and becomes more complex, taking the listener on a journey that reaches a very satisfying conclusion. I've played this work countless times and my admiration only grows with each hearing. It's not 'hard' music like Birtwhistle, but neither is it bland minimalism or dumbed-down neo-romanticism.

If you want to hear something that is genuinely original and bears repeated listening, you could a lot worse than trying this symphony.

Speculation
Speculation

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, But Admirable., 25 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Speculation (Kindle Edition)
'Speculation', which appears to self-published, begins like a thinking person's 'Secret History', but the mystery element soon takes a back seat and overall, this is a novel of ideas. I felt that the sum wasn't as great as its parts and that as a whole, the novel collapsed under the weight of its own ambition, but in spite of my reservations, I don't regret reading it. 'Speculation' is consistently entertaining and thought-provoking, with a plot that is refreshingly unpredictable.

Overall, this novel comes across as a brave, original but uneven work that would benefit from a little editing, but if tha verdict is harsh, it's only because I'm judging the book by the high standards it occasionally attains.

Wireless Bluetooth Speaker- BLKBOX POP360 Hands Free Bluetooth Speaker With 360 Degree Sound - For iPhones, iPads, Android Phones, Samsung Galaxies, Nexus, HTCs and all other Smart Phones, Tablets, Laptops and Computers
Offered by RightPriceUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 8 Feb. 2015
For its price, this is a remarkable product that produces a perfectly adequate, clear sound. I bought one so that I can listen to music when I'm having a bath, but it would be equally good in a kitchen or small room. The treble is good and the bass, while less powerful than larger speakers, is better than I expected.

The device is easy to operate - just push the top down to switch on and off - and it instantly paired with my Samsung phone. I can't think of any negatives at this price, so it's an unequivocal five stars.

Audio Dynamix- The PULSE V2 Stereo Rechargeable Bluetooth V4.0 Speaker. Dual Pulse Bass Radiators, 15+hr playtime and 20 metre range, compatible with all Apple, Android and Windows devices
Offered by Audio Dynamix Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Feb. 2015
Perhaps the great reviews had raised my expectations too high, or I'd bought a faulty product, but I was very disappointed with the sound quality. Bass-wise, I've no complaints - the speaker really packs a punch for its size. But the quality of the treble just wasn't good enough for me and the music sounded as if it was coming from inside a cupboard. I ended up returning it.

This speaker is fine for television and rock and pop. It's very easy to use and has a good range. However, if you're an audiophile who plays classical music, it probably isn't the speaker for you.

Brother TN2220 toner. Compatible Brother TN 2220 toner for HL-2130, HL-2132, HL-2220, HL-2230, HL-2240, HL-2242D, HL-2250DN, HL-2270DW, HL-2280D, DCP-7055, DCP-7057, DCP-7060D, DCP-7065DN, DCP-7070DW, MFC-7360N, MFC-7460DN, MFC-7860DW printer
Offered by Inkjet UK

A Lovely Way to Burn: Plague Times Trilogy 1
A Lovely Way to Burn: Plague Times Trilogy 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Going Viral, 30 Oct. 2014
I haven't read Louise Welsh before and wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. This book can be summed-up as an intelligent thriller, easy to read, but well-written enough to not feel like a guilty pleasure. The ending was a little abrupt, as if the publisher had placed a strict limit on the word count, but that's a minor quibble. Overall, I enjoyed the very evocative and horribly plausible portrayal of a city succumbing to an unknown virus, gradually descending into anarchy. If you like crime fiction or apocalyptic novels, you should enjoy this book.

The Book of Strange New Things
The Book of Strange New Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 16 Oct. 2014
It's difficult to review this novel without giving spoilers, but what I can say is that this is one of the most moving, intelligent and thought-provoking books I have read this year. In science fiction novels, the characters are usually subservient to the big idea. In this novel, the concept is simply a vehicle for a profound exploration of what it means to be human. The relationship that the main character has with his wife, his colleagues, the strange new congregation, his own past self and a silent God make this an extraordinary read that is both comfortingly familiar and unlike anything else I've read.

I wish I could say more, but part of the joy of this novel was the sense that it could go anywhere, whilst feeling assured that the author would never let the reader down. This was my first Michael Faber novel. I look forward to reading his backlist.

Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player
Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player
Offered by Tribal UK

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than a DVD Player, 17 Sept. 2014
I bought this after the BBC kindly changed their iPlayer to a version that my old Sony Blu-Ray player can no longer support, which was annoying, but I have gained a smaller machine with a faster boot-up, quieter DVD motor and a dedicated Netflix button, so I can't complain.

I have connected this player to my modem via two TP-Link adapters, which carry internet signals along the home's electrical wiring system. The results are very good and it's good to have a versatile DVD player which also gives me access to internet televsion, including YouTube.

On the subject of YouTube, I was very impressed to discover that this player links up with my Samsung smartphone so that I can tap in the key words on my phone rather than go through the tedious process of going up and down the alphabet on my remote control. All in all, a very good machine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2014 12:48 PM BST

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4
Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A Man in a Hurry, 17 Sept. 2014
Zinman conducts these works as if he has a train to catch, so these performances won't be everyone's cup of tea. However, I found it refreshing to listen to a very different interpretation of the two symphonies. The Eroica, in particular, is too fast, but there is an appealing sense of urgency that many traditional performances lack. The playing is top notch and the sound quality is very good, so this is worth investigating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20