Profile for Book Passion for Life > Reviews

Content by Book Passion f...

Book Passion for Life (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Fistful of Evil: An Urban Fantasy Novel (Madison Fox, Illuminant Enforcer Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I gave this a try!, 24 Nov. 2014
A Fistful of Evil was an interesting start to this new series featuring Madison Fox whose life is about to get a whole lot more complicated. The synopsis is spot on about what Madison will go through and it was a fun ride. Madison was a fun character, she has no clue what she’s doing but will wing it for all its worth but she does actually want to do well, she wants to learn and wants to be worthy but because she had been ignoring her gift she is totally inept. She has her eye on a couple of men but romance isn’t really the purpose of this book, it’s all about Madison’s introduction to fighting evil.
The storyline was really good and I thought the author has created something a little different to what the usual UF is about, I like Madison’s gift and how it can be used to fight evil. She is definitely flung in the deep end here and has to learn on the fly but that was an asset to the story because it was amusing to read of her trying her best, her thought process was fun too and she came across really well, so normal for a book character where you could imagine that her reactions would be the same as your own. I loved the species of demons throughout, we have imp demons, monkeys, hounds…. And they’re really just minion-esque for the bigger demons and what they do to unsuspecting humans will make you shiver. Obviously there will be a big bad demon for Madison to cut her teeth on and I had an inclining of where the story was going but when you add all of the action, danger, rescues, fighting…. Even parading around like Lara Croft – you get a fine UF book with tons of potential. My only grumble is that I would have liked a bit more romance in it but that’s personal preference and in no way detracts from the book as a whole. I’m glad I gave this a try and will be looking out for more.

Sixteenth Summer
Sixteenth Summer
by Michelle Dalton

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read with a bittersweet ending!, 22 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Sixteenth Summer (Paperback)
Anna lives in a small town called Dune Island and every year she has to watch the tourist enjoy her town more than she does. Growing up on the Island doesn’t have the same effect to her as it does the tourist because she sees all the attractions every summer. However when Will – a boy from New York who’s on vacation with his family for the summer visits the Island, she’s finally able to enjoy Dune Island by experiencing everything with Will and falling in love for the first time. But Anna knows her and Will’s time is passing by every second. So how can she enjoy her summer when she knows the one person she’s came to love will be leaving soon?

Sixteenth Summer has been sitting on my shelf for well over a year, I did want to read it sooner that I did, but I guess time just got away with me again. I’m so glad I finally read it because I really did enjoy it even though it’s such a bittersweet read.

It’s a story centred on first love – a summer love. One that even before you start reading you know that the characters don’t get a happy ever after together – even though they do get a happy ending as best as they could (if that makes sense) but don’t let that put you off reading this story. It’s full of enjoyable and sweet times, laugh out loud moments and interesting characters. It’s full of kissing, ghost crabs, bike rides and yeah and more kissing.

Both Will and Anna were such likable characters. Will was so such an upbeat guy that always let’s himself live in the now, were as Anna is always looking into the future. I could sympathize with Anna a lot during her struggles with Will leaving. I think I would have felt the same – upset because you know it’s all going to come to an end and knowing that you don’t ever want it to end. Her reactions and emotions were believable and very real.

Now, the end of the story is very bittersweet – it’s kind of left open so the reader can choose their own ending for the characters. I’m going to remaining hopeful about it ending – that their love last forever and they somehow made it work.

Mercury Rising (The Adventures of Hermes Book 1)
Mercury Rising (The Adventures of Hermes Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of everything for every reader!, 18 Nov. 2014
Mercury Rising is a really good short story in the Cursed Satyroi series and also the beginning of The Adventure of Hermes. One of the stand out characters in the main series has been Hermes, not only is he a Greek god but he is Pan’s father too. He stands out because for all he is ancient, he is very current in his demeanour and comes across as if he’s a surfer dude, add to that a wicked sense of humour and this character is a hoot! He also has a heart of gold too and he always pops up to help the Satyroi in his own way, it’s like he adopted them and became a father figure to all of them, even if at times they seem more mature than him.
The purpose of this short story seems to be to set up Melancton & Daphne’s story (which I am very much looking forward to) and as we know from book 2 – Melancton promised he wouldn’t try to rescue his beloved nymph Daphne from Apollo anymore in exchange for his friend being able to be with his nymph. Melancton will make good on that promise but what if he doesn’t rescue Daphne? What if someone else does and gives her to Melancton? This is exactly the type of plot Hermes has in mind as he enlists all the allies he can get. One of those turns out to be the mother of Pan and someone who broke Hermes’ heart – Hybris – and with her arrival, he is reminded of what they had together but he wants her to make peace with Pan but with Hybris being the goddess of hubris…. She simply can’t apologise to anyone.
As Hermes goes about his quest, we see all of the things we love about him – humour, sarcasm, wacky dress sense etc. – but we also see a maturity that we hadn’t before and the paternal role he plays to the Satyroi in full effect, by doing this he risks everything to give someone happiness and he is also trying to reconnect his son with his mother who abandoned him. I think this showed more depth and feeling from this character and definitely made me connect with him more. The story has a bit of everything – humour, plotting, conflict and romance with Hermes getting some of his own sexy time – and I can’t wait for more.

4.5 flowers!

The Queen Of The Tearling (Queen of the Tearling 1)
The Queen Of The Tearling (Queen of the Tearling 1)
by Erika Johansen

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly awesome!, 18 Nov. 2014
The Queen of the Tearling has got to be one of my favourite debut novel of this year because Erika Johansen did a fantastic job with the story, creating a marvellous and well written story that captivates you until the very end.

On her nineteenth birthday, Kelsea Glynn must claim what’s rightly hers – her throne and Kingdom. After being hidden away since birth, Kelsea has trained for this day and her future where she needs to be strong for her country, but with many secrets being kept from Kelsea, it’s not until she returns home that she truly finds out what has become of her Kingdom – a Kingdom that is full of fear and a who lotteries their people to the Red Queen so they can become slaves for her. Kelsea maybe young, but she’s determined to save her Kingdom….even if it kills her.

I’ve heard so many good things about The Queen of the Tearling and so I decided to give it a whirl too. Was that a good decision? Totally, I loved it! Usually with fantasy stories they have too many characters or too many different points of view, so that the story becomes complicated and hard to follow. Well that’s not this book. Erika Johansen clearly knew what she was doing when she wrote this book because it’s easy to follow, it’s written well and yeah, it is a great read even though there are a few slow chapters.

I instantly loved Kelsea. She’s a very strong character who isn’t afraid to stand up for what she believes in. She takes being a Queen of a Kingdom seriously and rarely complains about the situation she’s been put in. She’s down to earth and joys herself on the finer things in life, like books. She’s focused on educating the children in her kingdom; helping women better their own futures and helping men find work. She does have help from the Queens Guard but even then, she had to prove herself to them, like she has to prove herself to the Tearling. She really wants to make a different to and it definitely shone throughout this book.

Now I’ve finished this book though, I am left wanting more. I want more of The Fetch – who wouldn’t want more? I’m curious about him as a character and as a love interest for Kelsea. There’s next to no romance in The Queen of the Tearling and I honestly didn’t mind, but I’d like to see more improvements in the next story. And of course, I want more of this fantastic world that has been created. A great read!

Yankee Candle Small Jar Candle, Snowflake Cookie
Yankee Candle Small Jar Candle, Snowflake Cookie

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 11 Nov. 2014
Delicious! Simply delicious. It gives the perfect Christmasy smell without the normal Christmas spices.

CHILDRENS KIDS GIRLS PINK PRINCESS CASTLE PLAY TENT INDOOR OUTDOOR
CHILDRENS KIDS GIRLS PINK PRINCESS CASTLE PLAY TENT INDOOR OUTDOOR
Offered by BuyDirect4U

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 11 Nov. 2014
It took me forever to find a play tent for my daughter for her 4th birthday and then I came across this and what a good purchase it was. It's bigger than I thought it would be but I'm not complaining. My daugher has lots of room to play and just loves it.

Unbreak My Heart
Unbreak My Heart
by Melissa Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a chance on this book and you won't be disappointed!, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Unbreak My Heart (Paperback)
After seeing so many mixed reviews about Unbreak My Heart it was one of them books that I wanted to read but didn’t want it to disappoint. But in the end I finally decided to take a chance and I’m so glad I did because it’s one I really enjoyed.

Unbreak My Heart is an emotional read about a young girl who struggles to deal with the aftermath after falling for her best friends boyfriend but also tries to rediscover herself while on a secluded family vacation.

I really enjoyed this story. Honestly, there’s wasn’t much not to like. It’s a good YA contemporary story that has just the right amount of fluffiness, heartache and fun times included. I felt the story is well written and it had a ton of great characters.

Clem – even though she’s quite depressed to start with – was a great character to get to know. She’s fun and full of life but when everything is revealed, she’s like a shell of herself. The whole relationship with her best friend’s boyfriend in my opinion was quiet complicated. I honestly couldn’t see why Ethan was Amanda except for the fact that Amanda is really pretty. I felt as though Ethan and Clem had an undeniable attraction to one another. It felt more real and as a reader you can really see the feeling that they had for one another. In my book, it wasn’t really cheating. Yes Ethan and Clem weren’t completely innocent but Ethan was always the one that instigated anything between them and then suddenly, all the blame is on Clem. I felt bad for her. She loses her best friend and friends all together and Ethan is walking around scot-free. I hated Ethan after that and Amanda too for treating Clem the way she did.

The other characters that stood out to me were of course, Clem’s family. What an amazing and fun family. They supported Clem no matter her mood and always tried to include her in everything they did. And then of course we have James and his father. James was exactly the right person Clem needed. Someone who didn’t know but could get to know the real her – and James saw the real Clem for sure. I love their moments together.

In all, Unbreak My Heart is a good summer read and one I’m glad I took a chance on!

Dorothy Must Die
Dorothy Must Die
by Danielle Paige

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars! An intriguing and imaginative start to a twisted version of The Wizard of Oz., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dorothy Must Die (Paperback)
We all know the tale of The Wizard of Ozm so when I heard that Danielle Paige was writing a story based on the famous tale, I was immediately intrigued. I haven't read many re-telling’s and the ones I have I've thoroughly enjoyed, so I wanted the same for this. And Dorothy Must Die definitely has some intriguing twists to the fairy tale that we all love!

Amy Glumm hates her life. She's bullied at school for being poor, lives in a trailer and having a trailer trash mother. She doesn't push herself to do anything, tries to keep out of trouble even though she has trouble keeping her mouth closed at the wrong times, but other than that, her days are spent dreaming of a day when she can finally leave her life behind in Kansas. But the day a tornado comes to Kansas, Amy is swept up with in, into a land that looks a lot like Oz. For Amy, she's been thrown into a world that is not supposed to be real let alone be how it is - everything is in reverse and Dorothy is evil and controlling Oz with her powers. But when Amy is recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked - the people who want to take down Dorothy and her men - she is given the task because she's like Dorothy and because she fell out of the sky, the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked believe Amy can do what they can't; kill Dorothy and restore Oz to what is once was. Now what's a girl to do?

I really didn't know what to expect heading into this story. I was excited and nervous at the same time but what a surprise it was because Dorothy Must Die is a dark-retelling and it's one that I really enjoyed. I adored all the twists that Danielle Paige added. This is not the story we all know, this is something full of dark imagination, and it’s twisted, evil, and written so well. The Tin Man, the Scarecrow and the Lion were just plain horrid but they really added that dark element to the story and made it a very interesting read. And so was Dorothy. She really isn't that lovable character any more either.

Amy is a character that is quiet torn through-out most of the story. I really liked her, although her back and forth not knowing what she wanted was a little annoying at times, but despite that, I liked her. She's full of courage and stands up for what she believes in, and I loved that she thought of others in their time of need before her own. And the secondary characters were great to get to know also, even though it was hard to know who to trust, they were still great and I can't wait to re-visit them again.

In all, Danielle Paige's Dorothy Must Die is an intriguing and imaginative start to a twisted version of The Wizard of Oz which will appeal to many readers! If you haven't picked this up yet, do so as soon as you can because you won't regret it!

A Darker Past (The Darker Agency)
A Darker Past (The Darker Agency)
by Jus Accardo

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, fun with great pacing and great humour!, 10 Nov. 2014
A Darker Past is the sequel to Darker Days and second book in The Darker Agency series featuring the very awesome Jessie Darker. Following the last book, Jessie is now in service to Valefar for 55yrs in a deal that freed her father and allowed him to be with her mother full time. As he puts her to work, Jessie finds she doesn’t realise what she has let herself in for being at the beck and call of a demon who has the habit of popping up at the most inopportune moments. Add to that, that she is still working for the Darker Agency on their cases and juggling her budding relationship with former Wrath demon – Lucas Scott. When Jessie and Lucas are sent to retrieve some Darker artefacts, they unwittingly set free a Demon unlike any Jessie has come across before and no amount of quartz powder will harm this piece of work but when he starts murdering witches and then chooses to come after the Darkers to get what he wants, the Darker’s are in need of the Belfairs again because this demon is all about bringing Hell to Earth.
This was a great sequel and it was so easy to step into the series once again. Jessie is back with her snarktastic attitude and her kick ass ways, she still has her awesome sense of humour and I find it so easy to read her character, she’s easy to gel with and connect to and her attitude is fun and always leads to trouble but that’s what I love about her. I’m glad Lucas is still around and it’s good to see them together still. I like that they are having differing views on where they think their relationship should go – with Lucas being from another time, he has old fashioned values and keeps everything very PG between him and Jessie, much to Jessie’s frustration. I like that it shows how courtship has changed over time and it’s usually the male that does the pushing, but not here. However, things are set to change as Lucas starts to go through a few changes, giving us some very steamy make out scenes with Jessie.
The storyline was just as good as the first book with still more secrets to be revealed. I love the kind of books that have a long family history and that it affects the people in present day, Jessie and her mother are always having to unravel some clues about what their ancestors had been up to in order to put things right in the present day and because it’s a family with a weird history – that makes me like it all the more. The Darker family connection/rivalry with the Belfair witches heats up yet again and this makes a major stumbling block in ridding them all of the new demon but also leads us to some discoveries that will affect all involved. Not only are the humans worried about this demon being on the loose but the demons are as well and none other than Lucifer forces Jessie and Lucas to right their wrong with no help from the shadow realm or their demon associates. So they are forced to go to great lengths and confront their greatest fears in order to try and trap the demon once again leading to an eye opening conclusion that will have far reaching effects.
The book was well written, fun, with great pacing, great humour and not afraid to show us the ‘Darker’ side of magic & demons and I’ll definitely be carrying on with the series.

Sacrificed to the Dragon: Complete Collection (Parts #1-4, A BBW / British Dragon-shifter Paranormal Romance) (Stonefire Dragons Boxed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for fans of paranormal romance!, 10 Nov. 2014
The synopsis is for part one of the series but I am reviewing parts 1-4 as a whole because that is the story arc for these two characters before we move onto another couple. As the blurb tells us – Melanie Hall has offered herself up as a sacrifice to the Dragon Shifters. In return for a vial of dragon blood that will save her brother’s life, Melanie must live with the dragons for six months and in that time she must try to conceive a child to help the dragons maintain their numbers. Melanie will do anything for her brother so is determined to see it through and use the experience to her advantage by completing her thesis using the information she gains. Unfortunately for Mel, the dragonman assigned to be her mate hates humans and isn’t afraid to show Mel just how much she bothers him – making the partnership very tense indeed.
Tristan MacLeod is not happy that he is being forced to mate with the human but will allow it, to benefit the clan. He hates all humans because his Mother was killed in a horrific way that scarred him for life so he is totally unprepared for the woman he meets. His dragon wants her but he doesn’t and when he’s forced to kiss her…. His dragon takes over and starts a mating frenzy that will only stop when Tristan has sated Melanie thoroughly and she is with child….. but then he leaves, he’s done his duty and that’s the end…. but his dragon has other ideas and makes Tristan challenge his prejudices against humans.
Needless to say…..I loved this book! I read it all in one sitting because it was so easy to read and very moreish. It definitely ticked all of my boxes for what I love in a paranormal romance and seeing as I share the main characters full name and also live in Northern England – it’s like this book was written for me because if I had to pick a shifter to fall in love with me…..it would be a Dragon! I love the idea that women can sacrifice themselves to basically become a breeder for the dragons, Mel’s was a selfless sacrifice and that showed her character for what she was from the get go. She is definitely a woman who could be admired for her determination, the way she adapts to her circumstances, how she conducts herself and of course the reason she was there. I love when a couple start out hating each other, it’s the best kind of love when barriers need to be broken down and hearts rebuilt and that is exactly what we get here. Melanie challenges Tristan in a way he never has been before and it was great to see this little woman turn the big bad bossy alpha’s world upside down. I really enjoyed his inner turmoil with his dragon, trying to get him to not want Mel, keeping himself away from her – it was fun to read and added to the satisfaction when they do get together. It’s clear to see that Mel is changing him and he has most surely met his match.
The storyline was great, most of it was about the relationship and burgeoning love but when you take that away you have a woman who has given up everything for her brother’s life, someone who must adapt to new surroundings and a new way of life. She has studied dragons but of course, nothing can prepare you for actually being in their company and both sides have bad stories about each other. Melanie will learn not to believe everything that is thought to be known about dragons, she will find that there is more prejudice against dragons than she thought and they can crush a womans’ heart just as bad as any human male but she will also discover their sense of family and community, how they will protect their mates and their young with everything they have and that they’re not the animals history has told her they were so she plans to change both the humans and dragons perception of each other. Tristan will learn that not all humans are the same and some can do amazing things, that it is possible to love someone different and that they can make a difference elsewhere. We do get some action in the latter part of the book and it definitely the biggest challenge to Tristan and his beliefs but it is also a challenge to Melanie when the possibility of losing everything she has gained is thrust upon her and will either make or break their love. This is definitely a series to read, I can’t recommend it enough, perfect for fans of paranormal romance that need an easy read with lots of sexytime and a nice dose of hot alpha male.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20