Profile for Jack Hobartson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Upgrade Your French: The Ultimate Guide to Learning French on Your Own
Upgrade Your French: The Ultimate Guide to Learning French on Your Own

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant guidance, 4 Nov 2014
I've given up writing long reviews for things so I will simply say that if you are serious about wanting to learn French, buy this book. I've been on countless language learning forums and have read lots of information about learning languages, I've even spent a couple of weeks on an assimilation course in Paris, and am currently studying both French and Spanish. Anyway, back to the book - the advice is absolutely fantastic, everything here is spot-on, I really can't recommend this book enough, I just wish I'd read it sooner.

Happypet CAT015-2 Cat Scratcher Cat Tree Activity Centre Scratching Post ceiling high 2,30 to 2,60 tall Beige
Offered by PrimoPet UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product, 28 July 2013
I've had quite a few of these cat activity centres in the past, but wanted to buy a really big new one. I did a lot of internet searching and this seemed to be the best there was, although I was a little suspicious about the price, which seemed quite cheap (just under £66 incl P&P) considering the price of these things in pet shops.

However I am pleased to say this is absolutely the best cat activity centre I have ever seen, let alone owned. It is superbly built and absolutely enormous, my cat has so many different places to sleep, she loves the two round thingys, but also likes going into the little 'houses'. She also loves climbing up it very quickly.

There is one downside, and that is the time you spend building it. The instructions are really poor, they consisted of a kind of skeleton drawing of the centre with the screws showing how to fit everything together, and one sentence: Start from the bottom up. I am pretty good at putting things like this together, but this really was a nightmare. If you get one, you will see what I mean. (And in fact there were 3 screws missing from the box but the German company I bought this from were absolutely fantastic at very quickly sending through the missing parts.)

But despite the instructions, it really is a fantastic item. Yes you will spend many hours trying to build the thing, but it is completely worth it, an absolutely superb product.

You Are What You Eat: How the Food We Eat Is Making Us Fatter, Sicker and Dumber

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, some surprises here..., 7 Jun 2013
Having read many of these types of books, I felt there wouldn't be much here I don't know already, so I was surprised at the amount of information new to me that I found here. The most surprising thing I learnt was that so called "natural flavouring" and "natural ingredients" often are very bad for you, and I will certainly be a lot more skeptical when I read ingredients lists in future.

I think most people know by now that butter is actually healthier than margerine, but it was still interesting to read the chapter on this.

All in all, a good read and a real eye-opener.

Railways and the Holocaust - the trains that shamed the world
Railways and the Holocaust - the trains that shamed the world

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 May 2013
I have just finished this excellent magazine / book. It is 130 pages long, but bear in mind these pages are magazine-size, so there is a lot of information contained here.

It is a series of 20 articles about all aspects of the Holocaust and the Nazis use of railways to achieve their aims. Some articles contain only a brief reference to railways but each is well written and interesting, and include much information I had never read elsewhere.

In fact if you have only a limited or passing interest in railways, that shouldn't put you off reading this, as it is one of the better books I have read on the Holocaust, and has a huge number of sometimes harrowing photographs.

EasyAcc Black Protective Folio Case Cover for Amazon Kindle Touch Wi-Fi, Kindle Touch 3G 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display Reader (Black, PU leather)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 May 2013
This is a really superb product for my Kindle Touch.

I am rarely satisfied with these sorts of things, there's usually something I don't get on with, so it was no surprise that for the first few days, the case seemed a little tight and I had to push the cover up to get the magnet to close it properly. Well it only cost a fiver so no big deal, but the thing is that with a little bit of use, the cover closes perfectly now. And the magnet makes sure its properly closed...but not difficult to open either.

Its not leather (how could it be for that price, and for vegans - who'd want it to be anyway!) but its very thick and provides excellent all-round protection.

Also I like the fact that the cover folds right back without any problem when you're reading.

I've been using it for over a month now, this is definitely a quality product and worth 5 stars.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 12 Feb 2012
This works fine, but be aware that when you connect it to your cigarette lighter, the little red light won't light up until you have also connected the phone. This is actually a good thing, but just seemed odd as other phone car chargers I've had lit up whether or not the phone was connected.

Also the connection into my cigarette lighter seemed a little loose, although maybe the lighter connection is bigger in my car than others. Anyway, it works fine which is the main thing, and you really do need it with this phone!!

Casio LCF-20-7DR Ladies Resin Strap Combi Watch
Casio LCF-20-7DR Ladies Resin Strap Combi Watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Larger than it looks and display not bright, 2 Nov 2010
I agree with the other reviewer about the display being much dimmer than shown. Its also quite big, not that much smaller than a man's watch.

If you can accept the above, then its a nice watch with good features.

NB. I bought the watch as a present for someone else.

Homeopathy for Horses
Homeopathy for Horses
by Tim Couzens

1.0 out of 5 stars Neigh!, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: Homeopathy for Horses (Paperback)
The only problem with homeopathy for animals is that animals aren't stupid enough to believe such nonsense, which is a problem considering the only benefits homeopathy offers are entirely due to the placebo effect.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2012 8:54 PM BST

No Expenses Spared
No Expenses Spared
by Robert Winnett

1.0 out of 5 stars Was this written against a deadline?, 15 Aug 2010
This review is from: No Expenses Spared (Paperback)
The biggest scandal in a generation deserves far better than this.

I wonder whether the authors were under a similar journalistic deadline to finish this book as they are in the newspaper trade. I can only imagine that other reviewers have rated it so highly because of the importance of the subject, rather than the quality of writing.

This was a hugely important political story, but from the beginning it is clear the writing style adopted is more akin to a poorly written thriller - so if you like Dan Brown and his style of writing, you'll probably enjoy reading this too.

Also it would have helped if the authors had made it clear from the start what the "rules" were concerning MP's expenses, ie. what was and what wasn't allowed. Because this wasn't made clear, there was no reference point to determine how outrageous each MP's claims were.

And do we really need to know the career histories of each journalist involved in the story, what meals they ate whilst holed up in their self-styled "bunker", and whether they were having babies during the investigation - please spare me the nappy-talk!

Stamp Collecting for Dummies
Stamp Collecting for Dummies
by Richard L. Sine

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and misses the basics, 15 Aug 2010
This book does a good job...of putting you off collecting stamps.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of the "Dummies" format, but I found this book incredibly tedious. And the author seems to spend a lot of time talking about stamps from his point of view, his collections, his beliefs, his interests etc.

But what I found totally unforgivable is that nowhere in this long and tedious windpipe of a book is there any description as to how to remove stamps from paper. Surely that must be contained somewhere in a book like this?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6